Saints Players Retired Numbers (1 Viewer)

What saints numbers should be retired

• LB Sam Mills

Votes: 31 40.8%
  • RB Dalton Hilliard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • S Tommy Myers

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • WR Danny Abramowicz

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • QB Bobby Hebert

• K Tom Dempsey

• LB Vaughan Johnson

• T Stan Brock

• LB Pat Swilling

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • DE Jim Wilks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • William Roaf, OT

Votes: 11 14.5%
  • WR Eric Martin

• G/T Jim Dombrowski

• Morten Andersen, K (if he ever retires)

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • The whole dome patrol defense

Votes: 13 17.1%

• Total voters
...Remember, this is permanent. Never to be worn again...

Thats not necessarily true. The Saints retired Doug Atkin's and Jimmy Taylor's numbers decades ago (link here), but those were unretired at the request of the NFL. Today, both numbers have been worn by several Saints players - most recently Hilton and Bennett.

There was a good (multi-merged) thread on the subject back on the old board.

The Saints no longer retire numbers. They put up a banner on the Super Dome Wall of Fame.

FWIW.

Last edited:
Thats not necessarily true. The Saints retired Doug Atkin's and Jimmy Taylor's numbers decades ago (link here), but those were unretired at the request of the NFL. Today, both numbers have been worn by several Saints players - most recently Hilton and Bennett.

There was a good (multi-merged) thread on the subject back on the old board.

The Saints no longer retire numbers. They put up a banner on the Super Dome Wall of Fame.

FWIW.

Well, then that's a different subject all together.

The idea behind retiring a jersey is that the number will never be worn again. That is also the title of this thread.

If all we're talking about is hanging some names from the rafters then that is a whole different ball game.

Retiring a # is supposed to be permanent. That's why it is such a big honor.

If all you want to do is hang the names up then by all means, let's put all 11 starters on the 1991 defense up there.

Well, then that's a different subject all together.

The idea behind retiring a jersey is that the number will never be worn again. That is also the title of this thread.

If all we're talking about is hanging some names from the rafters then that is a whole different ball game.

Retiring a # is supposed to be permanent. That's why it is such a big honor.

If all you want to do is hang the names up then by all means, let's put all 11 starters on the 1991 defense up there.

Just givin' ya the facts. :ezbill:

Not necessarily my opinion.

Just givin' ya the facts. :ezbill:

Not necessarily my opinion.

I hear ya, but the fact is no Chicago Bull will ever wear #23 again. No Boston Celtic will ever wear #33 again.

To me, that's the idea of retiring a player's jersey.

Retiring a jersey and hanging a name from the ceiling are two totally different honors in my opinion.

I hear ya, but the fact is no Chicago Bull will ever wear #23 again. No Boston Celtic will ever wear #33 again.

To me, that's the idea of retiring a player's jersey.

Retiring a jersey and hanging a name from the ceiling are two totally different honors in my opinion.

...Good point- Looking at it that way, I don't think any future Saints should be allowed to wear the #'s 7, 8 or 57-- The rest, though there have been some great players, should be fair game......

I'm confused....can you clarify?
Perhaps I should have said "honored" instead of "retired", since there is no official definition.
Basically put the jersey on honorary display and restrict the number for a time- not permanently.
Although the actual method changes from team to team, and even somewhat between coaches, the "museum display" and temporary number restriction are fairly ubiquitous.
This is a great way to honor a player, especially since today there are so many players that change numbers on the fly. (McKenzie, Delhomme, .etc)
I also hate to think that one day we'd retire #26 when everyone knows Deuce wanted #22.
There's no way I associate a number with a former player. Whether Terrence Melton wearing #56 is somehow a dishonor to Pat Swilling is 100% emotional and subjective.

Last edited:
See, I disagree. Some franchises have dozens of players in the Hall.

So far we have Doug Atkins (1982) - 1967-1969, Earl Campbell (1991) - 1984-1985, and Jim Taylor (1976) - 1967.

Just because we don;t have many players in the HOF doesn't mean that is a criteria.

I associate retired jerseys with championships and dynastys.

None of those players played for the Saints in their prime, but at the end of their careers, and for 1-3 years. It would be more for players like Jackson who played almost their entire career for the Saints.

that's a little harsh....disrespectful?? what if you played football your whole life, and your favorite player was number 57...that's paying respect to the player...most players wear numbers of their childhood idol....hardly disrespectful.

Yeah, I think it's disrespectful. There has never been anyone in the history of this franchise who made more plays than Rickey Jackson.

All you Sam Mills lovers (I like Sam, too, don't get me wrong), Vaughn Johnson guys, and Swilling supporters must realize that 57 made the whole Dome Patrol.

If he had played in New York, nobody would know who Lawrence Taylor is. Well, that might be too bold a statement. But Rickey was the best we ever had at any postition, and when he spoke, he spoke the truth (you just couldn't understand it unless you were concentrating real, real hard).

Rickey played like he loved every minute of it, and anytime you needed a big play, he came up with one, double team or not. Our four awesome linebackers were that good because of the attention Rickey received..

He was, and is , The City Champ.

If Heyzues Christo came back down to earth to play for the whodats, he shouldn't be allowed to wear 57.

Yeah, I think it's disrespectful. There has never been anyone in the history of this franchise who made more plays than Rickey Jackson.

All you Sam Mills lovers (I like Sam, too, don't get me wrong), Vaughn Johnson guys, and Swilling supporters must realize that 57 made the whole Dome Patrol.

If he had played in New York, nobody would know who Lawrence Taylor is. Well, that might be too bold a statement. But Rickey was the best we ever had at any postition, and when he spoke, he spoke the truth (you just couldn't understand it unless you were concentrating real, real hard).

Rickey played like he loved every minute of it, and anytime you needed a big play, he came up with one, double team or not. Our four awesome linebackers were that good because of the attention Rickey received..

He was, and is , The City Champ.

If Heyzues Christo came back down to earth to play for the whodats, he shouldn't be allowed to wear 57.

...Mongoose, you're screamin' my language- Everything you said was dead-on; LT would've been the Harry Carson to Rickey Jackson had he played for the Giants, and to still have the #57 available for future Saints players to wear is ludicrous and sacriligeous, IMO........

well i just don't understand why it's such a big deal...i mean, we all know they were great players...do we need a retired jersey to remind us?? hardly....when i played baseball as a kid, i wore #7 because mickey mantle was my dad's favorite player when he was a kid....he asked me to wear it....was i being disrespectful to mantle since i never grew up to set records and hit home runs in the big leagues??

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom