Saints' potential Round One Targets (1 Viewer)

ktmoze

VIP Subscribing Member
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
John Hendrix takes an insider look at the Saints' potential Round One Targets where the team s could trade up for in next week's draft.

@sainTS @SaintsNews #NFL #2020NFLDraft #SaintsNews #Saints

If you want to trade up to 10th, from 24th, the cost is clear. Our 2020 1st, 3rd and 2021 1st.

Because that's what KC had to pay to move up to get Mahomes at 10th overall.

Don't kid yourself that it will be any cheaper than that. And then there is the small matter of finding the willing trade partner, as well as outbidding the competition for that pick.

If Isaiah Simmons falls to 10 I hope we do whatever we have to to land him
If Simmons falls to 10 we need to make the move.
If you use the trade value chart, the Saints don't have enough to move up to #10, even if they gave up all five picks in this draft and some from next year's draft. If they only gave up #24 and #88 from this year, they are still short by more than the value of a second round pick. So the minimum it would take to move up to #10 would be like a first and third round pick from this year and a first and more next year. I would say that is too much. The highest they could move with just #24 and #88 this year would be the 18th pick. Then their next pick would be 112 picks later. I don't see that happening.

EDIT: Seems like Tribune beat me to it. :9:

Ha, I was just about to say we must have cross-posted. Although in my case, I just worked off of precedent. Good to know the draft value chart pretty much agrees.

I didn't even remember the details of that trade. :covri: I understand when people want to move up for a player they think is "worth it," but this year, the Saints just don't have enough ammunition to make a big move. They only have five picks to start with, so I suspect they will stand pat and make the picks they have left. I would prefer a couple of trade downs to get more second day picks, but they have no history of that.

Based on past behaviour, burning a future second to get an additional third this year, or to trade up slightly from our #24 (or #88?) seems most likely.

I'm in the same boat as you with preferring to stand pat or trade down, but history says otherwise.

If you use the trade value chart, the Saints don't have enough to move up to #10, even if they gave up all five picks in this draft and some from next year's draft. If they only gave up #24 and #88 from this year, they are still short by more than the value of a second round pick. So the minimum it would take to move up to #10 would be like a first and third round pick from this year and a first and more next year. I would say that is too much. The highest they could move with just #24 and #88 this year would be the 18th pick. Then their next pick would be 112 picks later. I don't see that happening.

EDIT: Seems like Tribune beat me to it. :9:
Only makes sense if it’s Tua cause he would be our future. I would never trade future 1s for a hybrid linebacker. I like davenport but I didn’t love that trade either

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom