Saints push Super Bowl bid back at least a year (1 Viewer)

longtime lurker

Buddy D lives FOREVER!
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You have to be a subscriber to get the whole article....any subscribers out there!?!?!?

Published April 07, 2008 : Page 33
The New Orleans Saints did not submit a bid to host the 2012 Super Bowl, despite the team’s saying earlier this year it would likely do so. That leaves Houston, Glendale, Ariz., and Indianapolis as the three bidders that met the April deadline. The New Orleans bid was expected in …
http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=article.preview&articleid=58644

Great. The chances of the Dome ever hosting another super bowl continue to go down. This is also a sign that negotiations with the state aren't complete or aren't at a point where the Saints feel like they're as good as done.

could be its too late to get the 2012 game since we dont have the team under contract yet for that year.

i dont think this makes any statement on the chance of us keeping the Saints or hosting another SB.

the city would never agree again to have a super bowl near mardi gras especially after Katrina, police are stretched thin enough for parades then add the added security for the super bowl, then you have too realize their would be no endymion extravanganza, no parades downtown, i mean come on think that one through

I know we never need to have a SB near Mardi Gras, but maybe...

How kewl would it be, to have a SB on da Wed. AFTER MG? A national vacation for America? No lost days due to SBitis. ;)

Think about the party... Think about da crowds...

If you are the televising network, think about da RATINGS???

The BIGGEST Corporate party in the world, following da BIGGEST FREE party on earth.

Think about the advertising dollar$?

Folks complain about the dead week in between--but if MG filled those 2 weeks???

Sponsors would be begging MG to sponsor it.

Just a thought....

Having a superbowl in new orleans during mardi gras would be a terrible idea. First of all, hotel rooms are impossible to get for mardi gras alone or the super bowl alone. Combining the two events would greatly reduce the amount of money new orleans would be able to rake as opposed to if we did them both seperately. Sure it would be a heck of a week for like the 10 average people who won tickets from a radio contest, but everyone else in the dome will be a billionaire or corporate cronie.

Secondly, the city wouldn't be able to really accomodate an event of that magnitude in a satisfactory fashion. If something screams riot and loot the city, that definitely would.

Normally I'd be all for something like this, but sorry. Two seperate events of packed hotel rooms and insanely rich tourists throwing tons and tons of money around are much better than one super party.

It kinda looks like Indy is the slam-dunk favorite to win 2012 anyway. They lost the 2011 game to Dallas by only 2 votes and they and Dallas have the 2 new stadiums. I love the picture in this article showing the Indy bid in 14 binders:

Draft bid due for 2012 Super Bowl | IndyStar.com | The Indianapolis Star

It reminds me of the time New Orleans was asked to make it's presentation and the presenter walked up to the flip-chart, flipped the cover sheet and on the next sheet was written 2 words.. New Orleans. He then sat down. New Orleans got the Superbowl.

this past superbowl Giants vs Patriots was on sunday before Mardi Gras. Mardi Gras weekend. People would be in hotels in Slidell and Mandeville to go to the event. People usually stay on Bourbon anyway all night and all they have is a car to sleep in. I think the dead week as said above would be filled with things to do. Think of the Dollars generated for the city and plus the media will love it and probably want to come back more often. Lets reboot the superbowl in new orleans and show them what they been missing.

Setup in the host city begins months before the game is even played. There is NO dead week in the host city. Mardi Gras and SuperBowl would be nearly impossible to have back to back.

As someone else pointed out, the money the city would lose would also be drastic..

It kinda looks like Indy is the slam-dunk favorite to win 2012 anyway. They lost the 2011 game to Dallas by only 2 votes and they and Dallas have the 2 new stadiums. I love the picture in this article showing the Indy bid in 14 binders:

Draft bid due for 2012 Super Bowl | IndyStar.com | The Indianapolis Star

It reminds me of the time New Orleans was asked to make it's presentation and the presenter walked up to the flip-chart, flipped the cover sheet and on the next sheet was written 2 words.. New Orleans. He then sat down. New Orleans got the Superbowl.

Oh... a talkative yankee type? 2 words when one would suffice?
N'AWLINS! ;)

My idea was to have the NFL in town for almost 2 & 1/2 weeks. The game would be on the Wed. after Fat Tuesday--if the BCS can be played a week after New Years, can't da SuperBowl be played the Wed. after MG? For TV they could wait until the Sunday after MG. (This would increase the stay to 3 weeks.) lol

Yes, some places would lose $$$--because they'd be booked solid for almost 4 weeks. Some MG visitors would have to room out in Jeff Parish, or in surrounding areas (as well as some SB visitors).

But think of the experience they would have.

I feel like William Wallace on the fields of Sterling (or Falkirk?). And how many of you (merchants, restauranters & hoteliers), would give up that one lil inconvenience to know that you were getting N'awlins back into the SuperBowl rotation?
Come Brave with me. ;)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom