Saints Question for the 2010 Draft? (1 Viewer)

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
With the collective bargaining agreement lapsing next year and with a good deal of conversation about going to a rookie cap the year thereafter, do you believe the majority of Juniors will be coming out early? Is it a good year for Junior talent? Do you think the Saints will try and stock draft picks?
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Interesting thought. In the middle of everything with the positive season, I haven't given much thought to the draft strategies next year. I would be willing to bet that a two pronged effect will cause as many juniors to jump as there ever have been - the chance to sign for more money, and the Bradford injury at Oklahoma. Think where he might me if he had signed last year. Yes, he might still have been injured, but he would have gotten more money than he is likely to garner in this next draft after being reinjured again. These juniors with the chance to go into the draft won't want to take the chance of injuries that would drop their stock. Personally, unless we trade someone away for a higher draft pick, I don't see us making many moves.

After all, we will be picking last! :hihi:

Yes. This will be one of the most talented drafts in a while, resulting in a less-talented college season (usually not that noticeable though). Not a bad year to have a late draft pick.

Interesting thought. In the middle of everything with the positive season, I haven't given much thought to the draft strategies next year. I would be willing to bet that a two pronged effect will cause as many juniors to jump as there ever have been - the chance to sign for more money, and the Bradford injury at Oklahoma. Think where he might me if he had signed last year. Yes, he might still have been injured, but he would have gotten more money than he is likely to garner in this next draft after being reinjured again. These juniors with the chance to go into the draft won't want to take the chance of injuries that would drop their stock. Personally, unless we trade someone away for a higher draft pick, I don't see us making many moves.

After all, we will be picking last! :hihi:

This may prompt Eric Berry to come out early! Doubt we will get him though, for we are picking last like MSSaintsfan said!

I would love to see us go after two young OLBs that can rush the passer. Shanle and Fujita have been doing well but they are getting older and never were the most athletic guys so age is just going to keep slowing them down. I know we have Dunbar, Casillias, and Arnoux but none of them have seen the field really. Dunbar has the ability but I don't know why he isn't in more packages. Casillias looks to be a good prospect, don't know much about him other than he fell in the draft and Arnoux is on IR. Some young passrushing DEs would be nice to, those are really the only two weaknesses I see right now

I say that when the draft rolls around we come up to pick at No. 32 in the 1st round that Sean Payton and Mickey Loomis should simply turn to Gregg Williams and ask him which player he would most like to have of whoever remains on the board.

And then we draft whoever Gregg Williams wants.

I say that when the draft rolls around we come up to pick at No. 32 in the 1st round that Sean Payton and Mickey Loomis should simply turn to Gregg Williams and ask him which player he would most like to have of whoever remains on the board.

I have suggested the exact same thing.

"Gregg, great job with the defense last year. You were the final piece of the puzzle that allowed us to win the Super Bowl. As a token of our appreciation, we want you to pick whomever you please with the 32nd pick."

Yes, it is expected that many juniors will be coming out in the 10' class as their agents are advising them to do so because of the antipated uncapped year. Which means if you have the number 1 pick in the draft, you better have some cash on hand to pay these players.

Plus a lockout could be coming for the following season. Things could get ugly quick. Enjoy this year.

With the collective bargaining agreement lapsing next year and with a good deal of conversation about going to a rookie cap the year thereafter, do you believe the majority of Juniors will be coming out early? Is it a good year for Junior talent? Do you think the Saints will try and stock draft picks?
<INPUT id=gwProxy type=hidden><!--Session data--><INPUT id=jsProxy onclick=jsCall(); type=hidden>
trade away the entire draft for developed/semideveloped players. Next year worries me somewhat, due to all the contracts expiring, but with an uncapped year looming, I can see finances getting nuts real quick. Pick up undrafteds (where we've had great luck in the past), pay them whatever it is that we pay them, and develop guys that otherwise wouldn't get a sniff.

i hope GW will still be around at that time to make such call

i guess after that season he'll get plenty of offers for HC jobs - like washington

Can players some out after their sophomore year or just junior? thx

depends how long they are out of highschool - if college players were redshirted for one year they can declare for draft after their sophmore season - as long as they're out of highschool for at least three years

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom