Saints RB coach working out Tyjae Spears at Tulane Pro Day; Spears will meet with Saints later (1 Viewer)

We ain't getting him, nobody on Airline can keep their damn mouth shut about him

When we traded up for AK did we ever hear the name Kamara leading up to the draft? Nope

This RB class is elite. It is on par with 2017, which is likely the best RB class of all time. I really hope the Saints pull the trigger on one of these guys in the top 4 rounds, and Spears would be in that mix.

We ain't getting him, nobody on Airline can keep their damn mouth shut about him

When we traded up for AK did we ever hear the name Kamara leading up to the draft? Nope

Actually this is almost exactly what we heard about Kamara in the lead up to the 2017 draft. He showed up for an in-house visit and they put him through a private workout and were blown away. You can find the article online.

Nowhere is Spears projected as a 1st round selection. Most pundits see him as a mid 2nd - 3rd round pick.
He may not be projected as a first but a lot of teams really like him, including the Saints. With AK’s suspension coming, I think they will be willing to “reach.”

Actually this is almost exactly what we heard about Kamara in the lead up to the 2017 draft. He showed up for an in-house visit and they put him through a private workout and were blown away. You can find the article online.
If I remember correctly ot wasn't in house. Payton went to Tennessee to scout a different player and needed someone to run routes. I believe Kamara volunteered (see what I did there) and even had to borrow cleats(might be wring about that). The rest is history.

He is a bit light at 195, if he could add 15lbs to his frame it would be ideal.....he can play, no question about that.....but I think his slight frame could have him lasting until the 3rd round, would have no problem drafting him there....

This RB class is elite. It is on par with 2017, which is likely the best RB class of all time. I really hope the Saints pull the trigger on one of these guys in the top 4 rounds, and Spears would be in that mix.
The Saints will definitely come out of this Draft with a running back.

I really like the kid but I think people are possibly over valuing his draft stock and how teams view the RB position as a whole. RB is a position that has just been devalued. The wear and tear and the ability to find players in the mid/late and undrafted have just put less of a premium on that. You can see it in the RB free agent market. We signed a guy with 1000 yards and 17 rushing TD’s for 4 million a year. Mark Ingram, coming off a 645 yard 6 TD year signed for 5 million a year in 2019 with Baltimore. That’s pretty significant. Add to the fact you have a 27 year old Zeke that is possibly on his last NFL leg and you can see the reasons NFL running backs don’t get the lure of old. 3-4 years out of a good back and the table tends to run out.

Generational guys will still be taken in the 1st round but when guys like Chubb, Kamara, Sanders, Cooks we’re all 2nd and later guys the NFL has transitioned away from investing big in the RB position, in free agency and the draft.

Take a guy like Bjian. Even as talented as he is what’s the chances of him getting through a 2nd NFL contract? Even guys like Barkley and Jacobs, who were great last year can’t get long term deals and a major factor in that is guaranteeing how long they’ll really be around.

There’s several of these guys, Gibbs, Charbonet, Spears, Achane, Bigsby, Spears, Evans, Tucker, McBride that are going to lose value because of the way RB is valued, or undervalued and because of the market and availability of good, solid guys. You had a fairly strong free agent market, you have 2 top tier guys in the draft in Bjian and Gibbs and you have a glut of talent after they’re gone.

If you’re a GM you have to factor in taking a RB, giving up draft capital and a roster spot for a guy that position average 3-4 years on a roster and all the other factors that come with the draft.

I really like the kid but I think people are possibly over valuing his draft stock and how teams view the RB position as a whole. RB is a position that has just been devalued. The wear and tear and the ability to find players in the mid/late and undrafted have just put less of a premium on that. You can see it in the RB free agent market. We signed a guy with 1000 yards and 17 rushing TD’s for 4 million a year. Mark Ingram, coming off a 645 yard 6 TD year signed for 5 million a year in 2019 with Baltimore. That’s pretty significant. Add to the fact you have a 27 year old Zeke that is possibly on his last NFL leg and you can see the reasons NFL running backs don’t get the lure of old. 3-4 years out of a good back and the table tends to run out.

Generational guys will still be taken in the 1st round but when guys like Chubb, Kamara, Sanders, Cooks we’re all 2nd and later guys the NFL has transitioned away from investing big in the RB position, in free agency and the draft.

Take a guy like Bjian. Even as talented as he is what’s the chances of him getting through a 2nd NFL contract? Even guys like Barkley and Jacobs, who were great last year can’t get long term deals and a major factor in that is guaranteeing how long they’ll really be around.

There’s several of these guys, Gibbs, Charbonet, Spears, Achane, Bigsby, Spears, Evans, Tucker, McBride that are going to lose value because of the way RB is valued, or undervalued and because of the market and availability of good, solid guys. You had a fairly strong free agent market, you have 2 top tier guys in the draft in Bjian and Gibbs and you have a glut of talent after they’re gone.

If you’re a GM you have to factor in taking a RB, giving up draft capital and a roster spot for a guy that position average 3-4 years on a roster and all the other factors that come with the draft.
You can’t not target a great RB because they aren’t going to make it through second deals down the road. If we have to upgrade a position, or prepare for the future in Kamara’s case, you absolutely need to take a RB at 29 or 40 if they’re going off the board fast, and get what you can out of those highly productive 5 years that they’re around. 5 years of a RB is still a long time of productivity to keep an offense functional in that area.

Otherwise, we’ll be constantly recycling Ingram’s, David Johnson’s and Latavius Murray’s at the tail end of careers just to get bargain bin prices. Jamaal Williams’ market is more of an anomaly based on being a timeshare RB and limited production throughout his career. But I think he accepted that deal based on our RB situation and team outlook. We’re not going to get an elite or great playmaking RB without investing some kind of significant resource, whether it’s an early round pick, or in the second contract after the mid round pick breaks out like Kamara. There’s no way around it. It’s a set up for failure to look for RBs based on being cheap rather than prioritize who can upgrade then work out an affordable deal with the good-elite RB at the table.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom