Saints RB coach working out Tyjae Spears at Tulane Pro Day; Spears will meet with Saints later (1 Viewer)

You can’t not target a great RB because they aren’t going to make it through second deals down the road.
You can and that’s exactly what the trends have been going to. It’s not only 2nd contracts. It’s a multitude of reasons RB’s are undervalued. From their short shelf lives, to production of more backs, committee backfields, no more 1 back systems, style of game play, offenses throwing more, rule changes that support this. There’s just so many reasons that chances are guys that 10 years ago were 1st round picks are 2nd/3rd round guys now.

I’ve said it. I love the kid. I think a lot of him. But the fact is this is todays NFL. RB isn’t like it used to be (I played RB, I love the position).

You can and that’s exactly what the trends have been going to. It’s not only 2nd contracts. It’s a multitude of reasons RB’s are undervalued. From their short shelf lives, to production of more backs, committee backfields, no more 1 back systems, style of game play, offenses throwing more, rule changes that support this. There’s just so many reasons that chances are guys that 10 years ago were 1st round picks are 2nd/3rd round guys now.

I’ve said it. I love the kid. I think a lot of him. But the fact is this is todays NFL. RB isn’t like it used to be (I played RB, I love the position).
You can target late based on late rounders and UDs working out but it wouldn’t be a solid primary strategy. They’re selected that late because their skill or talent level is 50/50 to translate to the pros, or even lower than that a lot of times.

For as many Ekelers, Pierre Thomas, Boston Scotts, there’s a dozen more Tarik Cohens, Marcus Murphys, Lascos, Abram Smiths, Marlon Macks, or Javorious Allens that fizzle out in their first preseason and 4 years as a mid-late rounder/undrafted. When it does translate, the RB shelf life applies to them more than higher picks. End up getting stuck in a cycle of always looking for RBs. Premium backs are going to be drafted in premium draft range. I don’t think RBs should be overdrafted, but investing an early round pick into top talents without trading up will always be the norm to build a great running game and offense.

His performance in the Cotton Bowl was just epic. Down by 2 TDs for almost the entire game, Spears shouldered the responsibility of driving Tulane back into contention knowing that any failed run might end the team's chance of a comeback.
He rushes for 205yds and 4TDs plus making key receptions.
Love his will to win and his game-breaking elusiveness.
Anyone with doubts can see the effort he made in driving Tulane on to victory.

I really like this young man. Watched him a couple of times at Yulman stadium this season. I thought Fritz didn't use him enough!

I really like this young man. Watched him a couple of times at Yulman stadium this season. I thought Fritz didn't use him enough!
Glad he didn’t use him as much so he wouldn’t be worn down. Almost 1600 yards on just 229 rushes, he might’ve push for 2k if he gotten 50 more attempts. That could’ve push Spears to 1st round range

You can’t not target a great RB because they aren’t going to make it through second deals down the road. If we have to upgrade a position, or prepare for the future in Kamara’s case, you absolutely need to take a RB at 29 or 40 if they’re going off the board fast, and get what you can out of those highly productive 5 years that they’re around. 5 years of a RB is still a long time of productivity to keep an offense functional in that area.

Otherwise, we’ll be constantly recycling Ingram’s, David Johnson’s and Latavius Murray’s at the tail end of careers just to get bargain bin prices. Jamaal Williams’ market is more of an anomaly based on being a timeshare RB and limited production throughout his career. But I think he accepted that deal based on our RB situation and team outlook. We’re not going to get an elite or great playmaking RB without investing some kind of significant resource, whether it’s an early round pick, or in the second contract after the mid round pick breaks out like Kamara. There’s no way around it. It’s a set up for failure to look for RBs based on being cheap rather than prioritize who can upgrade then work out an affordable deal with the good-elite RB at the table.
There are some really good running backs in this years draft that you don't need to reach. I really like the young man but he is small & he has had his history of injuries. As of this moment he isn't listed in the top 10 for RBs in this years draft & projected from 4th to 6th round. The only RB with a 1st round grade is Bijan & I think there is about a 50% he will be there at 29. If he is I would draft him.

Prototype 2 down RB's are being devalued but not RB's like Spears. For example look at re-drafts from the 2017 draft. Everyone has McCaffrey and Kamara going in the top 10 and both signed big time contracts. RB's that can catch the ball are still highly valued and go on to pick up 2nd contracts.

Drafting a RB like Spears at 40 makes a ton of sense not only because of Kamara's suspension but his contract is also set to explode soon. Could be as early as next year and definitely by '25.

Tulane has good team right now. You don’t get reps from all 32 teams for one guy.
I'm a huge Green Wave fan.
Have been my whole life.
I even made the trip to the Cotton Bowl Game.
You'd be fooling yourself if you think that most of the teams represented at Tulane's Pro Day weren't there to witness Tyjae's workout.

Look I like Tulane and I like Spears, but this is getting out of hand. I would be really happy if we got him, but 29? 40?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom