Saints RB coach working out Tyjae Spears at Tulane Pro Day; Spears will meet with Saints later (1 Viewer)

Looks like he’s already added over 10 pounds in his new weight listed at the pro day. 4.47 at 208lbs is really good

That weight will affect his draft ranking. Getting over 200lbs is a big deal for a RB, getting to 208 is huge. That with 4.47 speed, his hands and quickness, he's gonna move up the board.

I saw spears play live at the championship game. He might be *listed* small, but that dude does not look or play small. I’d take him in the 2nd and not even blink.

I also feel like he’s got that extra gear. He can put the team on his back and take over a game. He got banged up in that game and then came back out looking like a mad man.
💯 I agree. Him and Gibbs are special. Both have Alvin Kamara type qualities in their game also. Perfect compliment to Jamal Williams.

Chicago and Detroit both have multiple 2nds

Trade #29 to one of them for both of their 2nd rounders, and grab Spears with one of the 3 2nds we would have.

I’d be down for that
The Saints pick #29 is worth 640 draft points.

The Chicago 2nd round picks (#53 @ 370 points and #61 @ 292 points) are worth a total 662 points. That is a doable trade, but then you have to hope he is there at #40 or hold your breath for pick #53.

The Detroit 2nd round picks (#48 @ 420 points and #55 @ 350 points) are worth a total of 770 draft points. If the Saints threw in their 4th round pick @64 points it gets the trade at 704-770. Detroit would have to really want somebody at #29.

The Saints don't trade down, they trade up. Realistically, I see the Saints going with another position at pick #29 and then trading up in the 2nd round (Saints pick #40 is 500 points) and give up our 4th round pick (64 points) for Spears. Trade Up with Arizona at pick #34 (560 points) is more of the Saints style. 564 for 560 points

That weight will affect his draft ranking. Getting over 200lbs is a big deal for a RB, getting to 208 is huge. That with 4.47 speed, his hands and quickness, he's gonna move up the board.

Yup, that could vault him up the draft boards for sure.....

Looks like he’s already added over 10 pounds in his new weight listed at the pro day. 4.47 at 208lbs is really good

His height and weight at the combine was 5’10”, 201lbs.

Ten days later he‘s 5’11”, 208 lbs?

He’s a good player, but as small as he looks among college athletes, he’ll be relatively smaller at the next level. He also apparently has a history of serious knee injuries.

I think he could add something to our offense, but I won’t be overly upset if we miss out.

His performance in the Cotton Bowl was just epic. Down by 2 TDs for almost the entire game, Spears shouldered the responsibility of driving Tulane back into contention knowing that any failed run might end the team's chance of a comeback.
He rushes for 205yds and 4TDs plus making key receptions.
Love his will to win and his game-breaking elusiveness.
Anyone with doubts can see the effort he made in driving Tulane on to victory.

You ain’t lying bro! All this talk about him being small is a joke! Either you can play or can’t and this dude is a definite player! What he showed all year and in the Cotton Bowl should have put any doubters to bed! He was playing against the 10th ranked team in the nation who was a major college program with major college players. I will be very happy if we can get him! He is a straight up player who can compete against any level of play.

His height and weight at the combine was 5’10”, 201lbs.

Ten days later he‘s 5’11”, 208 lbs?

He’s a good player, but as small as he looks among college athletes, he’ll be relatively smaller at the next level. He also apparently has a history of serious knee injuries.

I think he could add something to our offense, but I won’t be overly upset if we miss out.
The other backs that the board likes are lighter than Spears. Jahmyr Gibbs is 200, Achene is at 185, and Deuce Vaughn is about 175. Our Top 30 prospect visit DeWayne McBride is at the minimal heavy weight at 215.

Any rookie RB will only be rotational backs at 100 carries or less while Alvin and Jamaal are here. They’ll have an offseason or two to bulk up

The other backs that the board likes are lighter than Spears. Jahmyr Gibbs is 200, Achene is at 185, and Deuce Vaughn is about 175. Our Top 30 prospect visit DeWayne McBride is at the minimal heavy weight at 215.

Any rookie RB will only be rotational backs at 100 carries or less while Alvin and Jamaal are here. They’ll have an offseason or two to bulk up
I prefer Zach Charbonnet and Kendre Miller to Spears, Achane, and Gibbs.

You just need extra weight to get first downs. You can’t juke and weave your way on every run in the NFL.

Look at Raheem Mostert. He’s super fast but he has thin bones and is always injured. He fell to the ground and broke his arm on a play where he just tripped.

If we draft Spears in the fourth round then I will be happy. But earlier is a reach IMHO

You ain’t lying bro! All this talk about him being small is a joke! Either you can play or can’t and this dude is a definite player! What he showed all year and in the Cotton Bowl should have put any doubters to bed! He was playing against the 10th ranked team in the nation who was a major college program with major college players. I will be very happy if we can get him! He is a straight up player who can compete against any level of play.

No question he can play but size does matter in the NFL, there are a few exceptions but RB's under 200lbs (his playing weight at Tulane was 190) typically aren't drafting very high....because....injuries/durability.....

I love Tyjae but after the trade for Williams I don’t think Saints need to draft a RB as high as 40. NowI like the idea of trading down then using one of the 2nds for him. If not, cross your fingers that he’s there in the third. Also he has had two ACLs already so that would factor in my thought about drafting him as high as 40.

I love Tyjae but after the trade for Williams I don’t think Saints need to draft a RB as high as 40. NowI like the idea of trading down then using one of the 2nds for him. If not, cross your fingers that he’s there in the third. Also he has had two ACLs already so that would factor in my thought about drafting him as high as 40.
Who traded for Williams?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom