Saints RB coach working out Tyjae Spears at Tulane Pro Day; Spears will meet with Saints later (1 Viewer)

If you REALLY want him you reach of you have to. I don't think he makes it to us in rd3...so if they take him in 2...I don't have a beef with it.

We all reached for pitchforks with the Taylor pick last season...so this is one point of leeway (like that really means something) I will lend this FO.

I’d have no problem taking him earlier than expected IF we can add another DT and EDGE player before hand.

If we add one in FA and get another in round 1 or with a trade back, I’d be okay taking him at 40. Position value aside, he’s a true difference maker.

I see the Kamara comparisons but I agree that he is closer to Warrick Dunn in style and size (5-9, 180) who was the 12th overall pick in 1997. I think he goes in the second round. If you want him, you’ll have to spend a high second rounder like 40.

Hearing from a Falcons fan friend that Tyjae is fairly high on the Falcons organization's wish list.

Wouldn't surprise me.

Their GM, Terry Fontenot, is a Tulane alum.

InGZbT8.png

I see the Kamara comparisons but I agree that he is closer to Warrick Dunn in style and size (5-9, 180) who was the 12th overall pick in 1997. I think he goes in the second round. If you want him, you’ll have to spend a high second rounder like 40.

Spears is 15-20lbs heavier than Dunn, 180-187lbs vs 201lbs.

Those are 3 "Power 5" schools. Remember that UCF and UC are joining the BIG12 next year.

I happen to recall LOTS of detractors of a guy named Matt Forte due to the level of college competition. Forte will be a HOF'er and holds over a dozen Bears records. The same team who had guys like Walter Payton and Gale Sayers in their backfield.

I'm not questioning Spears ability at the college level...at all....he is very, very good. But the Forte comparison is a bit nonsensical......

Matt Forte was 6'2" 225 when he was drafted, huge difference and when you consider he was just as athletic as Spears at that size? There is no comparison.....

I wouldn't draft Spears in the 2nd round because I don't think he is an every down back.....but if he can add some muscle mass he could be a good NFL back....if......

Sure he might go in the third round but I could see the Saints draft him in the second to secure that they get their guy

I really like the kid but I think people are possibly over valuing his draft stock and how teams view the RB position as a whole. RB is a position that has just been devalued. The wear and tear and the ability to find players in the mid/late and undrafted have just put less of a premium on that. You can see it in the RB free agent market. We signed a guy with 1000 yards and 17 rushing TD’s for 4 million a year. Mark Ingram, coming off a 645 yard 6 TD year signed for 5 million a year in 2019 with Baltimore. That’s pretty significant. Add to the fact you have a 27 year old Zeke that is possibly on his last NFL leg and you can see the reasons NFL running backs don’t get the lure of old. 3-4 years out of a good back and the table tends to run out.

Generational guys will still be taken in the 1st round but when guys like Chubb, Kamara, Sanders, Cooks we’re all 2nd and later guys the NFL has transitioned away from investing big in the RB position, in free agency and the draft.

Take a guy like Bjian. Even as talented as he is what’s the chances of him getting through a 2nd NFL contract? Even guys like Barkley and Jacobs, who were great last year can’t get long term deals and a major factor in that is guaranteeing how long they’ll really be around.

There’s several of these guys, Gibbs, Charbonet, Spears, Achane, Bigsby, Spears, Evans, Tucker, McBride that are going to lose value because of the way RB is valued, or undervalued and because of the market and availability of good, solid guys. You had a fairly strong free agent market, you have 2 top tier guys in the draft in Bjian and Gibbs and you have a glut of talent after they’re gone.

If you’re a GM you have to factor in taking a RB, giving up draft capital and a roster spot for a guy that position average 3-4 years on a roster and all the other factors that come with the draft.
Although I agree that the position is undervalued right now, I slightly disagree with you regarding rookies being devaluated on their draft position.

It may be the case for prospects who may have a high first round grade, but teams know now and are ready to spend a second round pick on a great running back. Fred Taylor, Alvin Kamara, Nick Chubb, J.K Dobbins, all are second day picks.

I certainly would not mind spending a second rounder on a player that can be a feature running back or replace one of our players that may be leaving soon.

Right now, we do have Jamaal Williams (thunder) and Alvin Kamara (lighting) feeling our starting spots. We need a player that can temporarily fill those spots as a backup and have other responsibilities in our play book. I am thinking on a mold of a Pierre Thomas.

I think Spears can fill this role, and I would gladly spend a third rounder on him. But frankly, if we are spending a second rounder, I would prefer to get a bigger player that will be able to fill this roles. Zach Charbonnet can do that and give us more in the blocking game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom