Saints Saints Re-sign Andrus Peat/5 year $57.5M ($33M Guaranteed) (2 Viewers)

Called this reaction on Tuesday...

But I do feel this is a bit of an overpay.

You can’t restructure a contract that is expiring, there has to be additional years on the deal to move money to. Do you mean sign an extension?
Lol

No. I meant in either 2018 or 2019 the Saints tried a restructure to make cap room. Peat refused.
Do you have a link possibly? Because I’m not remembering that at all.

We couldn’t restructure his contract in 2019 because as I said there weren’t any life left in the contract to shift that money to (it would have to be an extension) and in 2018 he was in the midst of a legitimate Pro Bowl caliber season and was only counting for ~$3.6M against the cap. That wouldn’t give us much space anyway because those rookie deals don’t have much wiggle room built into them.

Like Pierre, Peat is no superstar at his position. When we had Thomas, in the beggining I didn't quite appreciate what he brought to the team. I was never disappointed by Thomas because he was a hard woker and very dicipline. He was probably a bad example but I was trying to point out how I couldn't see clearly how valuable he was. I wanted a home run hitting speedback. But looking back I'm thankful for him. Peat has been disappointing but the team sees value in his abilities. I want to be able to look back and say I was wrong about him as well.

I see where you're coming from purely from an appreciation aspect.........but both circumstances are still very much apples to oranges (which you did acknowledge in this post).

Peat was a first round pick and, depending on his health, has a green light to start every game without much question. Pierre constantly shared a backfield with 2 and sometimes 3 other RBs, meaning his opportunities at starts and touches were dependent not only upon health, but also Payton's game-planning.

I guess ultimately I'm saying Peat is definitely more in a position to be "not appreciated" (since critics will focus on blown assignments but won't mention instances in which he was a motor grader in the run game) than Pierre was. Wasn't drafted, wasn't put in a position to be an every-down back......never required breaking the bank to keep him......but was a direct contributor to some of the biggest games / moments in Saints history.

I think people are overreacting. Let’s wait to see the finer details of the contract before freaking out. I also think we as a fan base are undervaluing Peat. He’s been voted into the Pro Bowl twice and can play tackle in a pinch. If you watch Baldy’s Breakdowns you’ll notice he often points Peat out in the run game. He’ll go down field making blocks. The line needs continuity and I think it’s the right decision to keep him in the fold.
^this

Who makes the line calls for the Saints?
Not really sure but if I had to guess it’s probably Warford. I’m sure it was Unger before, but I would think they wouldn’t have thrust that burden on McCoy in his rookie season although maybe he did?

I would say Peat since he’s longer tenured but since he’s missed a fair amount of time over the years, that has me leaning towards Warford.

Dumbfounded on why we couldn't use those same numbers of spending on a defensive playmaker instead

Who makes the line calls for the Saints?
You hit a bullseye here. Yes the rookie came in and played way beyond anyone's expectations so no one questioned the loss of Unger's play. But who replaced the caller on our line was the other half the equation most people forget. Unger's mind was just as hard to replace as his play. There was a drop off here and our line paid the price in a lot of situations.

I'm not sure what suprised me more - the length of the contract, the amount or that Peat is only 26 years old. Seems like he's been around forever. I'll let this one play out. Ridiculously thin FA prospects. Chiefs probably kicked up the price. I think that Sammymvp may have hit on something when he suggested that Warford may be gone.

Going to wait to see the specifics of the contract. It's a done deal. Not going to fret on it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom