Saints Saints Re-sign Andrus Peat/5 year $57.5M ($33M Guaranteed) (2 Viewers)

Reaction score
I believe their Run Defense was very good last year, they certainly have a good Front 7 with Vita Vea, JPP, and two really good Linebackers LaVonte David, and Devin White.

Where they struggled was pass Defense because of young, inexperienced DBs. They have certainly sunk a lot of resources into their Corners I believe they are all either 2nd or 3rd year players and 2nd or 3rd round draft picks. They did gel and start to play better down the stretch I think I read they led the league in Passes Defended the last 5 or so games of last season.

It will really come down to if their young Corners can take the next step forward and continue to progress.. they certainly have the Pass Rushers to help their secondary Shaq Barrett had a career year, and I believe I read that Suh really wants to re-sign in Tampa.
I definitely can’t deny their run defense was very good last year. 1st in yards and YPC, 4th in attempts, and 7th in scoring. But as you said, they did give up A LOT through the air so I’m wondering if that had an effect on their rushing stats since teams just seemed to go full-Sean Payton on them and throw the running game straight out the window.

Their CB’s was something that really stood out though, I literally did not recognize a single name that I was familiar with which is very odd for me considering I tend to try and stay on top of players but damn, was a bunch of “who the hell is that?” :hihi: The last one I really remember was Hargreaves before they cut him last year or year before whenever it was.
They actually finished the season as number five in Football Outsiders DVOA rankings. They were number one against the run since the beginning of the season; being one of the few teams to shut down McCaffery.

They started off slow and finished the season strong in pass defense. A lot of their young players stepped up. Their scoring defense took a hit due to short fields and pick six’s from Winston.

If you break down the stats to just the second half of the season, then the Bucs defense finished as top five in overall defense.

They’re already coming into the season strong and now this will be the second year in Bowles’ system.
Perhaps so, but we’ll have to see how they transition from Year 1 to Year 2 and see if they continue their progression or if there’s some regression to the mean.

I’ll have to take your word for the DVOA and all though since I haven’t exactly looked into that metric for or against my argument.

Humperdoo

Who Dat.
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Dan does know his stuff. But, I think it's Belfast Saint that has some serious knowledge of offensive line play.
Yes sir that’s him. AARP reminded us earlier in this thread. He is sharp and I’d love to know his thoughts on Andrus and I’d respect them.
@Belfast Saint any thoughts on Andrus?

Reaction score
But still what about Vonn Bell. He was solid his rookie year and has improve each year since. Reward the guy that is paying well. So far not too crazy about this so far. I was expecting Peat to leave or not resigned. But almost everything I hope or wanted has not come. Signing Jenkins and not Bell was puzzling. Resigning Peat with that contract is puzzling. Interesting to say the least.
We offered bell 7.5 million a year he said no. It’s not puzzling, he turned us down.

Humperdoo

Who Dat.
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
We offered bell 7.5 million a year he said no. It’s not puzzling, he turned us down.
This. I’m a big fan of Bell and wanted him back, but if he wanted more than that we’d have been overpaying with that move too. IMO.

Belfast Saint

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Yes sir that’s him. AARP reminded us earlier in this thread. He is sharp and I’d love to know his thoughts on Andrus and I’d respect them.
@Belfast Saint any thoughts on Andrus?
Oh, hi. Just logged in for the first time in a while.

Not sure I'd say I have serious knowledge but thanks for saying so.

I just posted my thoughts on Peat on another thread
Other thread

Not sure if it's particularly insightful but yeah, I was a little surprised we resigned Peat to a pretty significant contract. That's more because cap space is finite and we had a cheaper backup who at times played better than Peat. I thought we'd use the money elsewhere. Without knowing what we lose by signing Peat (either our own players not re-signing, or new players brought in), it's obviously a good move. Peat is at worst an average starter at LG. He's been an active part, though in my view not a critical piece, of a very competent OL which drives a very high calibre offense. I thought he played better in 2018 than 2019 but that's without any proper, systematic analysis.

What I do find a bit odd is that Senio Kelemete was loved by this board, but he's barely half the player Peat is, who is generally disliked by the same people. Never quite understood that.

[and just for clarity, I was a bit down on Peat this year. This was based on analysing two games v Rams and v Vikings. These were not his best games. He could have been poor in every other game, or a world beater, I don't really know as I didn't analyse those games. I've analysed other games from 2018 where he's been fantastic. This tells me he's probably somewhere in between on balance of things - generally pretty solid]

Last edited:

Humperdoo

Who Dat.
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, hi. Just logged in for the first time in a while.

Not sure I'd say I have serious knowledge but thanks for saying so.

I just posted my thoughts on Peat on another thread
Other thread

Not sure if it's particularly insightful but yeah, I was a little surprised we resigned Peat to a pretty significant contract. That's more because cap space is finite and we had a cheaper backup who at times played better than Peat. I thought we'd use the money elsewhere. Without knowing what we lose by signing Peat (either our own players not re-signing, or new players brought in), it's obviously a good move. Peat is at worst an average starter at LG. He's been an active part, though in my view not a critical piece, of a very competent OL which drives a very high calibre offense. I thought he played better in 2018 than 2019 but that's without any proper, systematic analysis.

What I do find a bit odd is that Senio Kelemete was loved by this board, but he's barely half the player Peat is, who is generally disliked by the same people. Never quite understood that.

[and just for clarity, I was a bit down on Peat this year. This was based on analysing two games v Rams and v Vikings. These were not his best games. He could have been poor in every other game, or a world beater, I don't really know as I didn't analyse those games. I've analysed other games from 2018 where he's been fantastic. This tells me he's probably somewhere in between on balance of things - generally pretty solid]
Ty very much sir for your insight.
I think people liked Senio as he was the band aid back up that came in and always performed pretty well under the circumstances. IMO.
For me I don’t think he’s near Peat’s level either but he’s not getting paid what Peat is either.

I may just be spoiled as Nicks and Evans were elite guards. I miss em and I bet Drew does too. Lol

Last edited:

Belfast Saint

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Ty very much sir for your insight.
I think people liked Senio as he was the band aid back up that came in and always performed pretty well under the circumstances. IMO.
For me I don’t think he’s near Peat’s level either but he’s not getting paid what Peat is either.

I may just be spoiled as Nicks and Evans we’re elite guards. I miss em and I bet Drew does too. Lol
Yeah, agreed on Nicks and Evans. For a couple of years it was like having Zack Martin and Quinton Nelson playing at Guard. It was wonderful and magical, but sadly, not the norm!

But look at it this way, if it was possible to sign either Martin or Nelson to replace Peat this off-season, we'd likely be paying them around $16m - $18m. That puts Peat's contract in perspective a little bit.

Reaction score
This. I’m a big fan of Bell and wanted him back, but if he wanted more than that we’d have been overpaying with that move too. IMO.
I’m a huge fan of bell too, but if he turned down 7.5 mill a year we have to move on. It looks like Mark Ingram all over again, he will end up taking less. All the teams he was rumored to signed a cheap safety already. I wish guys would something’s trust their heart and not the greedy agents. Sometimes agents mark up your value and it’s not really the leagues value.

Saint Kamara

Formerly SaintSproles and SaintReggie
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what would you have done at Guard if you were in charge?
Was the level of play between Peat and Easton very discernible?

You got Easton in the fold, you go get another G in free agency that's cheap (5-7 million) and let them compete.

And we haven't even started to discuss Peat's injury history. How you gonna guarantee 3 years worth of the contract?

Should have been 4 years, $34 million, $17 million guaranteed.

RJ in Lafayette

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The Peat signing is the Saints signing that has generated locally and nationally the most, and perhaps the only real, criticism. This year's draft class at guard is below average. And I wonder whether Brees was willing to sign for an amount well below Brady's because the team assured him that it was trying to resign Peat and add another receiver in free agency.

DreadedOne

Reaction score
Stop...just STOP. Sean Payton won't pretend to know how to do our jobs...let's stop acting like we know better than a guy who makes millions a year and has played QB and has coached a team to a superbowl victory.

STOP

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Andrus Why the 2020 season is crucial for Drew Brees’ legacy with the Saints SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus 10 questions with New Orleans Saints offensive line coach Dan Roushar SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus New Orleans Saints continue to communicate with season ticket holders about 2020 season SR News Page Articles 0
Saints offer fans options to defer season tickets, receive refunds for 2020 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Who on Saints' roster will not be playing due to COVID-19 ? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 15
Saints rookie QB Tommy Stevens’s Madden rating released Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints offer season ticket holders refunds and the option to skip using their 2020 tickets Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints allow season ticket holders to opt out of 2020 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints Eyeing Up the Enemy: Atlanta Falcons SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints News: Player Opt-Outs being considered by NFL & NFLPA SR News Page Articles 0
Former Saints safety Usama Young now helps NFL players prepare for life after football Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Attorneys for late Saints, Pelicans owner Tom Benson fight to keep mental competency case sealed Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints fans have good reason to hate the Panthers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints undrafted rookie Keith Washington brings versatility through varied college experience Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette 2020 New Orleans Saints Team Outlook: Overcoming Bad Beats For Another Playoff-Bound Season SR News Page Articles 0
Bill Saints 2018 Saints at Falcons on NFL Network tonight at 7:00pm CDT (Pseudo-Gameday Thread) Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 54
Saints vision for versatile rookie LB Zack Baun includes maximizing pass rush skills Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Why the Saints could win it all, Part I - Offensive line Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Fleur-de-Links, July 8: Demario Davis supports black national anthem play and a potential cornerback the Saints should look at Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Cincy Saint Saints @ Falcons on NFLN Tuesday night 8E/7C Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 2
Nolaboy1970 Saints Saints 2009 season Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 6
Dan in Lafayette 10 questions with New Orleans Saints defensive coordinator Dennis Allen SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints Eyeing Up the Enemy: Denver Broncos SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints can extend dominance in Prime Time Games for 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Dre Kirkpatrick an interesting free agent option remaining for the Saints Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Fleur-de-Links, July 7: Jonathan Vilma talks on his move to broadcasting and Saints OC answers questions Saints RSS News Feeds 0
7 Pro Bowl Linebackers in a game (92 Saints Bills) Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 32
Andrus Saints Countdown to NFL Kickoff 2020: #70 Jammal Brown (July 5th) SR News Page Articles 0
Johnson: Maybe it's not fair to compare Saints' Tommy Stevens to Taysom Hill — but it's hard not to Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus What NFL teams best prepared to lose a QB to coronavirus? Ranking 1-32 | Saints’ Jameis Winston or Cowboys’ Andy Dalton No. 1? SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints D-line coach says Marcus Davenport 'definitely has room to get better' even after strong second season SR News Page Articles 0
Saints UDFA Profile: Michigan State linebacker Joe Bachie Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Holiday happiness is remembering Saints wins over the Falcons Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints expecting more from Marcus Davenport Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Fleur-de-Links, July 3: 49ers troll Saints and when Kiko Alonso is expected to return Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints banking on healthy, enthusiastic Marcus Davenport. 'He's put the work in' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
49ers promote masks, with a shot at the Saints Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Fleur-de-Links, July 2: Saints preseason cut in half and Deuce McAllister talks Latavius Murray Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Alvin Kamara’s cryptic tweet has New Orleans Saints fans in a frenzy SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Deuce McAllister on the Saints Running Backs SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette NFL to shorten 2020 preseason, Saints to open against Steelers on the road SR News Page Articles 0
Catching up with Deuce McAllister the Saints, the coronavirus and his golf game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
NFL to cut preseason in half; Saints to lose out on games vs. Rams and Dolphins Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Interviews: Saints legends Jonathan Vilma and Deuce McAllister Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Reliving some of our worst Saints vs Falcons memories Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints fantasy position groups: Wide Receivers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Former Saints LB Jonathan Vilma has high hopes for 2020 Saints defense SR News Page Articles 0
Fleur-de-Links, July 1: More from Latavius Murray and Cam Jordan ranks #2 in overall sacks for the Saints Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Super44 Non-Saints...but related to the virus and potential rate of infections, for college football. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 3
Former Saints LB Jonathan Vilma looking forward to challenge of the broadcast booth Saints RSS News Feeds 0