Saints Saints Re-sign Andrus Peat/5 year $57.5M ($33M Guaranteed) (2 Viewers)

Humperdoo

Who Dat.
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Well two things there, for me.

1. After their rookie deal ends, it doesn't matter one iota where someone was drafted. Their pay is based on production and talent, not their draft position.

2. The fact is that when a highly drafted player falls out of favour with fans, their ire and aggressive criticism often becomes disproportionate *because* of where they were drafted. I understand the psychology of this, I think - we spend (too much) time focusing in on high round prospects our favourite team might choose, then they choose one that we place on an unattainable pedestal of expectation. When they don't reach that, the lash back is, as a collective whole, excessive.
I can relate to that. Well stated.
To your first point, I agree that it matters not after their rookie deal...
That is part of what frustrates me with the deal he got. His production does not equal his pay. By a large margin. IMO only and I’m admittedly no expert. Now it seems that all of the contracts going out are terrible so I think it’s just me getting too old. If that’s the rate that’s the rate. I just miss Carl and Jahri.
I agree wholeheartedly with your second point.

Humperdoo

Who Dat.
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Many 1st rounders are outright flops...so Andrus Peat isn't a bust. I don't think that he's worth the contract he just got. I think that he's an average and replaceable OG...he's essentially Max Unger...a guy who left and was able to be replaced quickly. If we would have polled SSF whether they thought Andrus Peat would be resigned. I'm pretty sure that the "Yes" answer would have hovered around 10-25%. I thought that there would be a team out there that would be stupid enough to sign him to a big contract looking at his accolades. Well...he did find a buyer...unfortunately. Hopefully it doesn't hurt our ability to sign prized free agents over the next 3-5 seasons.
Definitely not a bust imo either. As you stated, absolutely average. Milquetoast.

TribuneUK

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Many 1st rounders are outright flops...so Andrus Peat isn't a bust. I don't think that he's worth the contract he just got. I think that he's an average and replaceable OG...he's essentially Max Unger...a guy who left and was able to be replaced quickly. If we would have polled SSF whether they thought Andrus Peat would be resigned. I'm pretty sure that the "Yes" answer would have hovered around 10-25%. I thought that there would be a team out there that would be stupid enough to sign him to a big contract looking at his accolades. Well...he did find a buyer...unfortunately. Hopefully it doesn't hurt our ability to sign prized free agents over the next 3-5 seasons.
I think you're selling Unger a little short there. He was a very good player who became injured and unable to keep playing in the NFL. We did well to replace him and to be fair, we may not have done so yet, as McCoy still has some growing to do.

In terms of contract value, as Hump said, it's market value, not what we think is fair. The fair price is always what someone is willing to pay.

Last edited:

Humperdoo

Who Dat.
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think you're selling Unger a little short there. He was a very good player who became injured and unable to keep playing in the NFL. We did well to replace him and to be fair, we may not have done so yet, as McCoy still has some growing still to do.

In terms of contract value, as Hump said, it's market value, not what we think is fair. The fair price is always what someone is willing to pay.
Agreed on Max. I thought he was an above average center who was very cerebral and had us aligned properly more often than not. I liked him a lot.

Reaction score
I think you're selling Unger a little short there. He was a very good player who became injured and unable to keep playing in the NFL. We did well to replace him and to be fair, we may not have done so yet, as McCoy still has some growing still to do.

Unger wasn’t “very good” on the Saints. Maybe he was on the Seahawks. He was serviceable and steady. Essentially he was Jon Goodwin before he left the Saints. He didn’t move people.

TribuneUK

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Unger wasn’t “very good” on the Saints. Maybe he was on the Seahawks. He was serviceable and steady. Essentially he was Jon Goodwin before he left the Saints. He didn’t move people.
I'll have to watch the tape to see that last part, as I haven't noticed it before.

Humperdoo

Who Dat.
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think he was above average both physically and with making the line calls, until his last season.
And I think most here would say I’m the exact opposite of a sunshine pumper and may be too hard on most players. Lol

Reaction score
I think he was above average both physically and with making the line calls, until his last season.
And I think most here would say I’m the exact opposite of a sunshine pumper and may be too hard on most players. Lol
I mean...I'm not saying that he was bad. He just didn't move people. He wasn't shut down in pass defense. I'd say that he was an average center the significant majority of the time as a Saints player. Peat has had more highs and lows...and I think that that would probably make him an average OG. But I think you have to include injury risk...and the combination of his inconsistencies and injuries are why I wouldn't have given him that contract. I think that the significant majority of Saints fans would agree.

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
I mean...I'm not saying that he was bad. He just didn't move people. He wasn't shut down in pass defense. I'd say that he was an average center the significant majority of the time as a Saints player. Peat has had more highs and lows...and I think that that would probably make him an average OG. But I think you have to include injury risk...and the combination of his inconsistencies and injuries are why I wouldn't have given him that contract. I think that the significant majority of Saints fans would agree.
People keep talking about his injury risk. He broke a bone last year and that was the only time he missed any significant time since his rookie year. Every other year he played at least 15 games. I mean, it's a pretty violent sport and big guys fall hard. I'd say he's been pretty damn healthy, all things considered.

TribuneUK

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
The significant majority of turkeys wouldn't vote for Christmas, and we're still keeping Christmas. I'm just sayin' ?

Reaction score
People keep talking about his injury risk. He broke a bone last year and that was the only time he missed any significant time since his rookie year. Every other year he played at least 15 games. I mean, it's a pretty violent sport and big guys fall hard. I'd say he's been pretty damn healthy, all things considered.
Just quit. I know you watch Saints football...you know that your argument is completely off-base and yet you insist on wasting both of our time. Andrus Peat...is either hurt or playing hurt consistently. The guy is ALWAYS hurt. It seems like every other game you see a large pear shaped man waddle off the field to the trainers.

dutar76

4th Year Vet
Reaction score
While I understand it is not the fault of the player, I think it’s perfectly reasonable and relevant to judge said player against their draft position.
It’s the same reason we sing the praises of high quality UDFA’s.

Having said that I still wouldn’t think that he was a good guard even if he was taken in the 2nd instead of at 13.

Perhaps I’m just spoiled by having seen Nicks and Evans.
Seriously... how many guards have we gone through since Nicks and Evans? A lot of them.

How many were close to that level? None.

How many elite or potentially elite OL have we had since then?
Two... Three if McCoy continues his trajectory.

Is Peat mediocre? No, I don't think so. I think he's above average as far as guards go.
He is a mediocre left tackle though and that's worth something.

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the best... how would you rank Peat, Warford, and Easton?
My take would be Peat = 7 Warford = 5 Easton = 4

Merl

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Lets wait until the actual terms of the deal are released. Guarranteed doesn't mean fully on initial reports. Often much of it is only guaranteed for injury NOT fully. You also have to see where there majority of the salary is. This could easily be a deal that Loomis could back out of after 2 years and gain significant cap space.

Humperdoo

Who Dat.
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Seriously... how many guards have we gone through since Nicks and Evans? A lot of them.

How many were close to that level? None.

How many elite or potentially elite OL have we had since then?
Two... Three if McCoy continues his trajectory.

Is Peat mediocre? No, I don't think so. I think he's above average as far as guards go.
He is a mediocre left tackle though and that's worth something.

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the best... how would you rank Peat, Warford, and Easton?
My take would be Peat = 7 Warford = 5 Easton = 4
That was a good read.
Hmm...for me:
Nicks:10
Evans:10
Peat: 5.75
Easton:5
Wardaddy:6.5
I’d have put Easton in at Lg let Andrus walk and drafted someone like Logan from Kentucky.
And yes to all I’m just a couch fan using only my eyes, that do happen to be failing. ?

To me, Peat is as soft as butter. Mentally. Carl and Jahri were mean. Peat seems like a great human being. Like he should be in the clergy or health insurance lol.
I believe you need nasty on your team and to me he epitomizes Mr. Congeniality.

dutar76

4th Year Vet
Reaction score
That was a good read.
Hmm...for me:
Nicks:10
Evans:10
Peat: 5.75
Easton:5
Wardaddy:6.5
I’d have put Easton in at Lg let Andrus walk and drafted someone like Logan from Kentucky.
And yes to all I’m just a couch fan using only my eyes, that do happen to be failing. ?
Word from inside is that our coaches were down on one of our guard's performance... Warford's.

At this point though, our opinions are pretty much pointless. Peat is signed for 5 years.
So regardless how any of us feel, he's a Saint and not only that, he's one of our core players going forward.

My thinking says we should really get behind him and hope for healthy and improvement for him and Wardaddy.
A couple of years ago, Peat was looking great. That was also his healthiest stretch. Also a couple of years ago,
we were all excited with the beast guard we signed in free agency. Both have the potential to be really really good.
If they both reach that potential this year, then we will have one hell of an OL. Our RBs will have gaping tunnels to
run through and Drew can sit back, pick defenses apart, and read a book or nit a sweater in the pocket.

saint_drago

I Must Break You
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The more time I've had to think about it the better I feel about the move. Continuity is vert important. When this O Line has been healthy they've been really good. So they probably overpaid for an average Guard and above average backup LT, they've made worse moves. I think initially I underestimated how important Peat's ability to step in at LT has been. Especially when you consider how injury prone our LT is.

Peat is only 26 years old and his best football is ahead of him. I think that's what the FO is banking on. This is the first time I can remember feeling some type of way about bringing back a 2x Pro Bowler in his prime.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Andrus Report: Clowney to sign with Saints or Cowboys? SR News Page Articles 0
Johnson: Maybe it's not fair to compare Saints' Tommy Stevens to Taysom Hill — but it's hard not to Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus What NFL teams best prepared to lose a QB to coronavirus? Ranking 1-32 | Saints’ Jameis Winston or Cowboys’ Andy Dalton No. 1? SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints D-line coach says Marcus Davenport 'definitely has room to get better' even after strong second season SR News Page Articles 0
Saints UDFA Profile: Michigan State linebacker Joe Bachie Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Holiday happiness is remembering Saints wins over the Falcons Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints expecting more from Marcus Davenport Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Fleur-de-Links, July 3: 49ers troll Saints and when Kiko Alonso is expected to return Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints banking on healthy, enthusiastic Marcus Davenport. 'He's put the work in' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
49ers promote masks, with a shot at the Saints Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Fleur-de-Links, July 2: Saints preseason cut in half and Deuce McAllister talks Latavius Murray Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Alvin Kamara’s cryptic tweet has New Orleans Saints fans in a frenzy SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Deuce McAllister on the Saints Running Backs SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette NFL to shorten 2020 preseason, Saints to open against Steelers on the road SR News Page Articles 0
Catching up with Deuce McAllister the Saints, the coronavirus and his golf game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
NFL to cut preseason in half; Saints to lose out on games vs. Rams and Dolphins Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Interviews: Saints legends Jonathan Vilma and Deuce McAllister Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Reliving some of our worst Saints vs Falcons memories Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints fantasy position groups: Wide Receivers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Former Saints LB Jonathan Vilma has high hopes for 2020 Saints defense SR News Page Articles 0
Fleur-de-Links, July 1: More from Latavius Murray and Cam Jordan ranks #2 in overall sacks for the Saints Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Super44 Non-Saints...but related to the virus and potential rate of infections, for college football. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 3
Former Saints LB Jonathan Vilma looking forward to challenge of the broadcast booth Saints RSS News Feeds 0
How Saints rank in quarterback play in Super Bowl era Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints roster battles to watch on offense, part one Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints urge mask wearing Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints Hall of Fame career of Roman Harper: An Interview SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints WR Tre'Quan Smith is primed for a breakout season in 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints Notes & Quotes: Mrs. Benson, Brees, Jenkins,Harper, Evans, and NFLPA SR News Page Articles 0
Saints coach on the art and science of training during a pandemic — with the help of Excel Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints running back Alvin Kamara has become NASCAR’s newest, biggest fan Saints RSS News Feeds 0
DerrickB Video How long will Jeff Ireland Continue his Role as Assistant Gm/College Scout Director with the Saints? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 30
What makes Jadeveon Clowney a perfect fit for the Saints Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Fleur-de-Links, June 29: Jadeveon Clowney interested in the Saints, and how the Saints became interested in Adam Trautman Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints infatuation with rookie tight end Adam Trautman began at the Senior Bowl Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints’ QB Drew Brees to sponsor Black College Football event SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette What should the Saints do with Alvin Kamara? SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette 40 best remaining free agent options for the Saints SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Larry Holder on Saints training camp and biggest surprises for upcoming season SR News Page Articles 0
mandevillekevin 8x10 Saints photo help Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 9
Gumbo's Dad Has the recent politicization of the Saints decreased your enthusiasm for or interest in the Saints? Everything Else Board 122
Andrus New Orleans Saints receivers coach Ronald Curry utilizing information, wisdom gleaned from QB Coaching Summit SR News Page Articles 0
SquareHammer Email from Saints re: 2020 Season Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 24
Andrus Saints finally have some breathing room beneath the 2020 salary cap SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Superdome to close off first 8 rows of seating during Saints games SR News Page Articles 0
No magic answer to fix Saints QB Jameis Winston's patience, but coaches say he's ready to work Saints RSS News Feeds 0
jasonsw A Saints Vision Everything Else Board 1
Saints' Benson to drop 'Dixie' from brewery name Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Nick Easton one of the Saints remaining trade chips Saints RSS News Feeds 0
WATCH: Taysom Hill and Jameis Winston lead our Saints camp battles series for QB2 Saints RSS News Feeds 0