Saints Saints Re-sign Andrus Peat/5 year $57.5M ($33M Guaranteed) (1 Viewer)

I mean...I'm not saying that he was bad. He just didn't move people. He wasn't shut down in pass defense. I'd say that he was an average center the significant majority of the time as a Saints player. Peat has had more highs and lows...and I think that that would probably make him an average OG. But I think you have to include injury risk...and the combination of his inconsistencies and injuries are why I wouldn't have given him that contract. I think that the significant majority of Saints fans would agree.
The significant majority of turkeys wouldn't vote for Christmas, and we're still keeping Christmas. I'm just sayin' ?

People keep talking about his injury risk. He broke a bone last year and that was the only time he missed any significant time since his rookie year. Every other year he played at least 15 games. I mean, it's a pretty violent sport and big guys fall hard. I'd say he's been pretty damn healthy, all things considered.

Just quit. I know you watch Saints football...you know that your argument is completely off-base and yet you insist on wasting both of our time. Andrus Peat...is either hurt or playing hurt consistently. The guy is ALWAYS hurt. It seems like every other game you see a large pear shaped man waddle off the field to the trainers.

While I understand it is not the fault of the player, I think it’s perfectly reasonable and relevant to judge said player against their draft position.
It’s the same reason we sing the praises of high quality UDFA’s.

Having said that I still wouldn’t think that he was a good guard even if he was taken in the 2nd instead of at 13.

Perhaps I’m just spoiled by having seen Nicks and Evans.

Seriously... how many guards have we gone through since Nicks and Evans? A lot of them.

How many were close to that level? None.

How many elite or potentially elite OL have we had since then?
Two... Three if McCoy continues his trajectory.

Is Peat mediocre? No, I don't think so. I think he's above average as far as guards go.
He is a mediocre left tackle though and that's worth something.

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the best... how would you rank Peat, Warford, and Easton?
My take would be Peat = 7 Warford = 5 Easton = 4

Lets wait until the actual terms of the deal are released. Guarranteed doesn't mean fully on initial reports. Often much of it is only guaranteed for injury NOT fully. You also have to see where there majority of the salary is. This could easily be a deal that Loomis could back out of after 2 years and gain significant cap space.

Seriously... how many guards have we gone through since Nicks and Evans? A lot of them.

How many were close to that level? None.

How many elite or potentially elite OL have we had since then?
Two... Three if McCoy continues his trajectory.

Is Peat mediocre? No, I don't think so. I think he's above average as far as guards go.
He is a mediocre left tackle though and that's worth something.

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the best... how would you rank Peat, Warford, and Easton?
My take would be Peat = 7 Warford = 5 Easton = 4

That was a good read.
Hmm...for me:
Nicks:10
Evans:10
Peat: 5.75
Easton:5
Wardaddy:6.5
I’d have put Easton in at Lg let Andrus walk and drafted someone like Logan from Kentucky.
And yes to all I’m just a couch fan using only my eyes, that do happen to be failing. ?

To me, Peat is as soft as butter. Mentally. Carl and Jahri were mean. Peat seems like a great human being. Like he should be in the clergy or health insurance lol.
I believe you need nasty on your team and to me he epitomizes Mr. Congeniality.

That was a good read.
Hmm...for me:
Nicks:10
Evans:10
Peat: 5.75
Easton:5
Wardaddy:6.5
I’d have put Easton in at Lg let Andrus walk and drafted someone like Logan from Kentucky.
And yes to all I’m just a couch fan using only my eyes, that do happen to be failing. ?

Word from inside is that our coaches were down on one of our guard's performance... Warford's.

At this point though, our opinions are pretty much pointless. Peat is signed for 5 years.
So regardless how any of us feel, he's a Saint and not only that, he's one of our core players going forward.

My thinking says we should really get behind him and hope for healthy and improvement for him and Wardaddy.
A couple of years ago, Peat was looking great. That was also his healthiest stretch. Also a couple of years ago,
we were all excited with the beast guard we signed in free agency. Both have the potential to be really really good.
If they both reach that potential this year, then we will have one hell of an OL. Our RBs will have gaping tunnels to
run through and Drew can sit back, pick defenses apart, and read a book or nit a sweater in the pocket.

The more time I've had to think about it the better I feel about the move. Continuity is vert important. When this O Line has been healthy they've been really good. So they probably overpaid for an average Guard and above average backup LT, they've made worse moves. I think initially I underestimated how important Peat's ability to step in at LT has been. Especially when you consider how injury prone our LT is.

Peat is only 26 years old and his best football is ahead of him. I think that's what the FO is banking on. This is the first time I can remember feeling some type of way about bringing back a 2x Pro Bowler in his prime.

Word from inside is that our coaches were down on one of our guard's performance... Warford's.

At this point though, our opinions are pretty much pointless. Peat is signed for 5 years.
So regardless how any of us feel, he's a Saint and not only that, he's one of our core players going forward.

My thinking says we should really get behind him and hope for healthy and improvement for him and Wardaddy.
A couple of years ago, Peat was looking great. That was also his healthiest stretch. Also a couple of years ago,
we were all excited with the beast guard we signed in free agency. Both have the potential to be really really good.
If they both reach that potential this year, then we will have one hell of an OL. Our RBs will have gaping tunnels to
run through and Drew can sit back, pick defenses apart, and read a book or nit a sweater in the pocket.
Interesting. I’d have judged them the other way around. Although I think Larry is just getting worn out and losing tread now quickly.

And you’re spot on, it matters not what we think or want. Also even if I think the player is terrible I always pull for them to do well and be healthy no matter what. Can’t imagine any fan doing otherwise.

If healthy I do think Peat is a nice run blocker and can pull and such. His weakness to me is on pass pro.

Interesting. I’d have judged them the other way around. Although I think Larry is just getting worn out and losing tread now quickly.

And you’re spot on, it matters not what we think or want. Also even if I think the player is terrible I always pull for them to do well and be healthy no matter what. Can’t imagine any fan doing otherwise.

If healthy I do think Peat is a nice run blocker and can pull and such. His weakness to me is on pass pro.

Always remember that an OL is the sum of it's parts. Nobody has 5 elite linemen... There's not enough elite OLmen on earth.
And as the saying goes, a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. Our O-line has been arguably the best in the NFL over
the past few years. If Peat is the weakest link, then he pretty much has to be darn good for our Oline to be one of the best over
that period.

Always remember that an OL is the sum of it's parts. Nobody has 5 elite linemen... There's not enough elite OLmen on earth.
And as the saying goes, a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. Our O-line has been arguably the best in the NFL over
the past few years. If Peat is the weakest link, then he pretty much has to be darn good for our Oline to be one of the best over
that period.

Respectfully disagree wholeheartedly about us having the best or even near the best unit in the league. Especially if counting the playoffs.
We get manhandled on the line in the playoffs.
I do agree about sum of its parts and weakest link etc.

Respectfully disagree wholeheartedly about us having the best or even near the best unit in the league. Especially if counting the playoffs.
Injuries, worn down ...whatever. I'm not in the camp of LB, CB, WR with our #24 if one of the top 4 rated OL drops in
Yep. I'm hoping one of the top OL drops nicely into our laps at pick 24. It's a long season for the trenches. ( Hopefully considering what's going on )

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom