Saints re-sign Dwayne Washington (1 Viewer)

I have to see the contract, follow the money.

If you sign a guy to 1-year min deal I still see him as a guy that has to make the team. Anyone can come on the team and compete for that spot. There isn't a problem cutting him.

If he's signed for 2-years and 2 mil per year with some guarantees he's probably filling a roster spot. Then you have to wonder if they want to carry 4 RBs.

Setting ourselves up to draft BPA like we have in recent years. Crazy how well Loomis and Co get this done every season.

Setting ourselves up to draft BPA like we have in recent years. Crazy how well Loomis and Co get this done every season.

Ok, I get it... CSP has said all along that he values special teams ability and believes in its’ importance... and if Washington provides nothing else (and I believe he doesn’t) he is a very good special teams player.
This move at least gives the Saints an assurance that the RB room should be at least on-par with what they had last year... and if these are the 3 RBs the Saints carry into next season, they can always go and sign another street FA to play spot-duty should AK or Murray miss any time.

This still leaves drafting a RB a real possibility, as well as upgrading the unit.

Ok, I get it... CSP has said all along that he values special teams ability and believes in its’ importance... and if Washington provides nothing else (and I believe he doesn’t) he is a very good special teams player.
This move at least gives the Saints an assurance that the RB room should be at least on-par with what they had last year... and if these are the 3 RBs the Saints carry into next season, they can always go and sign another street FA to play spot-duty should AK or Murray miss any time.

This still leaves drafting a RB a real possibility, as well as upgrading the unit.
Definitely, this was just a low risk depth move. Two things the saints typically draft, RB’s and CB’s. We also seem to have great luck with undradted RB’s.

Good move; great veteran depth/insurance. I really don't understand those who have poo poo'd this action by the Saints.

In the limited carries he's had since being with the Saints (2018/19 seasons):

35 rushes for 214 yds (6.1 ypc).

Also, he's had ZERO fumbles in 145 rushes (Lions/Saints).

That ain't too shabby.

:gosaints:

Pretty sure he blocked a Punt last season, maybe two? I remember him being blocked and sticking a hand out and blocking a punt. Ya'll feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. But I feel Payton really went to work on S/T and it shows.

Good signing, I bet it's for cheap. Don't think this would affect us signing a free agent RB if we needed or even looking at one in the draft if an opportunity arises. Washington has proven to be good on ST and can fill in at RB in a pinch. Doesn't mean he couldn't be beaten out. Competition is always a good thing.

One guy I would like to have back is Devine Ozigbo. Watching him in preseason last year I was amazed at his receiving ability and balance with his legs. It was too bad he got signed after we cut him but he is the guy I thought could develop very well.

It depends on what your long term intentions with Alvin Kamara are. If you doubt you can re-sign him, and a quality back is available, you make the pick and start working him in. Latavius won't be around forever. He's 30 and not a feature back. Dwayne is a ST and depth guy.
Very true -- it's completely possible none of our 3 current RB's will be around in 2021. Haven't thought about it that way. RB in the draft would be no surprise.

I remember the game he had against the Panthers a couple of seasons ago and I don't know why he hasn't been implemented in the offense in some sort of way.

In a pinch this guy might shock some people...……..plus the fact that he's a demon on special teams. His value there merits keeping him around.

30 years old. Like Alvin, I think LT performs better in a shared role. My point was simply, if Alvin isn't in our future plans, at the very least we need a compliment for LT. He won't be a bell cow. There are very few bell cows.
I agree that they both perform better in a timeshare, I was only pointing out that he can be when asked/is needed to shoulder the brunt of the load for a few games.

Since Payton took over, there have only been a handful of 2-game rushing performances that exceeded Murray's last year:
  • Ingram (2014, Week 8 & 9) - 54 carries, 272 yards, 5.0 YPC, 3 TD
  • Ingram (2017, Week 10 & 11) - 32 carries, 265 yards, 8.3 YPC, 4 TD
  • McAllister (2006, Week 13 & 14) - 47 carries, 247 yards, 5.3 YPC, 0 TD
  • Bell (2009, Week 1 & 2) - 45 carries, 229 yards, 5.1 YPC, 1 TD
  • Ingram (2015, Week 7 & 8) - 30 carries, 223 yards, 7.4 YPC, 1 TD
  • Murray (2019, Week 7 & 8) - 48 carries, 221 yards, 4.6 YPC, 3 TD
While he may be 30, he only has just over 1,000 carries (1,045 to be exact). At the conclusion of the 2016 season, Ingram had 953 career carries (he reached 1,042 in Week 7 of 2017) and like Murray, had only had 2 seasons up to that point where he was asked to tote the rock 200+ times in a season. So Murray should still have enough tread on his tires and be very productive for another 2-3 years, even in a featured role half the time.

He's a good veteran backup that can start a few games a year and do well if need be, but he's not a guy you really want to turn over your full time starting RB job to. Especially since all be a few exceptional RBs start to go down hill when they hit 30. Some faster than others.

I also find it funny that people were complaining how bad Murray was when we signed him last year and calling him a bust after three games last season. But now people want to trade Kamara and have him as the lead back.
I don't think anyone is calling him to be the full time starter, just for Payton to feed him more than he did last year.

Outside of those two games against Chicago and Arizona where Payton's hand was forced, Murray averaged 6.9 carries/game (including playoffs) and only had 10+ carries twice. With those two outliers included, he averaged 9.1 carries/game. That's just not enough, he had 3 games last year where he averaged 7.2 YPC and he didn't see more than 7 carries in any of them (2 of those games he had 9.1 and 9.9 YPC), it's unacceptable and part of the reason we lost to San Francisco. Murray should be averaging about 12-13 carries/game (which is what Ingram averaged in 2017 and 2018, 13.1 carries) and put him right around 192 to 208 carries if he plays the entire season so realistically around 170-185 missing a few snaps here and there if he gets dinged.

When it was announced we were signing Murray and we were moving on from Ingram, the general consensus what that Murray was going to slide right into Ingram's role and that didn't happen. Murray got half of Ingram's role and the other half got thrown on top of Kamara's already increased 2018 load and had an adverse affect on his 2019 performance. By feeding Murray more, it also takes some of the load off Kamara and enables him to be far more efficient like he was in 2017 which only helps the offense by being more lethal. Especially when trying to close out games.

As for the last point of your post, I can't comment since I wasn't in either 3 of those camps. Not to mention anyone calling Murray a bust after only being given 13 carries in his first 3 games here is dense. Anyone trying to judge a RB on 4.3 carries/game shows they know nothing about football.
Interesting. I'm in neither camp and believe we could draft a RB whether we re-sign him or not. The Washington signing has zero influence on our short or long term future with feature RB(s).
Agreed.

Good back and thought he should've seen more carries. When given the opportunities he has shined. Said it before and I'll say it again, he's the closest thing to a Deuce McAlister we've had since Deuce. Good straight line power & enough speed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom