Saints re-sign Raphael Bush (according to Rafael Bush) (1 Viewer)

Good move. He's a valuable sprecial teams player. Not only that but we saw some nice flashes when he got playing time.

I guess Jenkins is a better candidate for cutting. Harper still has some guaranteed money coming to him and has two years left on his contract. Jenkins has only one year left and the dead money would be lot less for him being cut. If that is the case then Payton would take a hit to his pride for cutting a first round choice so soon.

I was actually looking at this as well and we wouldn't have much dead money by cutting Jenkins but would save a lot.

At least with Harper you can cover up his weaknesses and there are some aspects of the game he does well. It's unfortunate that his weaknesses match directly up with the direction most offenses are heading and expose our CB's who have been struggling but with his contract that's the hand we are dealt. But the point is he does have some redeemable qualities.

In comparison, Jenkins struggles in just about every aspect of the game. And now that we are moving back to a man scheme moving him to CB isn't much of an option. Struggles at safety, struggles at CB, we can save a lot of money by cutting him with little dead money and we have a more than capable backup on the roster. The only question is can Payton's ego take that hit?

Championship.

I understand all of your points but here is my logic as to why Harper could be the Odd man out.

IAQ, Rafael Bush, Malcolm Jenkins are all better in coverage than Harper (do not mistake better in coverage for BETTER in general) have LOWER cap figures and are younger than Roman Harper

Malcolm Jenkins is in a contract year and rather cheap for a Safety. IAQ is breathing down his neck for a starting spot so in that sense we are secure @ FS for the next 2 years. If Jenkins plays out of his mind...and plays himself out of a contract than IAQ is a restricted FA that we KNOW can play the FS position. If Malcolm Jenkins doesn't perform then he can be benched for IAQ

Now lets move to the SS position

Roman Harper is a good SS...lets clear that up. However he fits 3G's 4-3 scheme as a 4th rusher/lb in the nickel where he can be blitzed. He isn't required to be in coverage as much because we spend more time in the nickel with him as the rusher..so his coverage deficiencies are covered up when we bring in IAQ@ SS and move harper down in the box.

Now switch to a 3-4 and the nickel already has an extra rush LB so that means your SS will have more coverage responsibilities. He can still be blitzed but check Rob Ryans blitz stats...he didn't blitz much@ all and when he did it didn't come from his Safeties much. I think the blitzer in this scheme is going to be your Nickel back..but i could be wrong.

In Ryans scheme the SS/FS are supposed to be interchangeable. Its not an in the box/deep middle FS/SS thing that 3G had going on. Its possible that he could scheme to Roman Harpers advantages but like i said...thas for nickel use and in the Nickel in a 3-4 theres no reason for ur SS to blitz AS much. So that means that Roman Harper will be in coverage a lot.

THAT ISN"T A GOOD THING by any stretch.

So after my explaination....who is the weakest link when u take into consideration Scheme philosophy/age/coverage ability/contract/?????

Harper

Either hes cut or we make phone calls to see if hes tradeable in which the only logical place would be the Titans where 3G is taking over. Flame me and thumb me down but it makes a lot of sense considering the argument i just provided.

With that being said i could be wrong and Jenkins may be the odd man out..but either way i think ull see at least 1 new starter @ the Safety position nxt year. You cant have the two worst safeties in the league last year and not make some changes...especially when one is overpaid for what he does(Harper, again don't confuse this with me saying harper is a bad player) and the other hasn't come on like we thought he would as a FS.

Basically my point in my previous post.. be it Harper or Jenkins....someone isn't going to be here next year. Your guess is as good as mine.

What about Harper re- structuring and moving to LB?.... we're gonna need some more LB's in the 3-4. You think Harper is big enough to play LB?

this is great news. he was excellent on special teams and really stepped up his game on defense. he can only get better.

Agreeing with everyone above me. It's very good that we got him resigned, but I can't help but question where the cap space money will come from...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom