Saints re-sign Raphael Bush (according to Rafael Bush) (2 Viewers)

I thought he played pretty good with his limited time on the field.

Agreeing with everyone above me. It's very good that we got him resigned, but I can't help but question where the cap space money will come from...

He was a ERFA and it is a 1 year deal, I'm sure his contract wasn't a bank breaker making it an easy deal to put together. IMO, signing Bush is small potatoes in the overall big picture of our cap issues.

His 2012 contract was for 405K and I'm guessing the new deal isn't much higher.

I'm at the point where I think it might be best to cut Roman and Jenkins or attempt to trade them for what ever picke they can get.

I see some folks say they were Defensive Captains and we need defensive veterans/leaders as we transition to a 3-4. But do we really need them? These guys are the leaders of a defense that has cost us 2 playoff games and managed to be the worst defense in the history of the NFL. I'm tired of having to scheme to their strengths. Why aren't we finding smart, fundamentally sound football players that can make smart decisions to put themselves in positions to succeed and adapt to different situations?

we would be foolish to cut our best safety and one of our best defenders, Roman Harper. without neck we would have zero aggressive run stoppers

I wish people will stop with this harper is a great safety bull he is a average safety and is a liability in coverage and whiffs on more tackles then he makes

I hate to contribute to the thread jacking, but Harper is paid like a top defensive player, but performs like an average one. I won't get into the argument of Harper being the best def. player last yr, but his cost and skill set don't match. Not in today's league where OC are looking for matchups where they can attack safeties and LB's. I think we can find a cheaper alternative without losing much on the field.

Pretty sure they were scouting all positions at those games.

i think u know what i mean

@ the east/west shrine game and the senior bowl we met with several prospects from their respective positions

WE met with CB, ILB, S, NT, WR

leon mcfadden
zavier gooden
cooper taylor
Brandon Williams
Tavarres King

Call me crazy but those look like positions that everyone including myself have identified that we need upgrade/competition at.

If i had to put it in order id go S,CB,NT, ILB, WR but depending on what we do in FA those positions/order could move.

IF we were planning on keeping all 4 of the same safeties then we wouldn't be scouting one to possibly use a draft pick on. ITs my own theory but it has logic behinid it.

Rafael bush is an Adequate backup/special teamer
Roman is Starter
Jenkins Starter
IAQ above average backup.

With that depth and your two starters entrenched..whats the purpose of looking@ a safety?.............unless one of those guys could be gone. Now its possible we could draft a safety to compete and take Rafael Bush spot..but then why resign him now? ITs not like a future contract/camp body. U resign this guy now u plan on him being here another year.

I'm at the point where I think it might be best to cut Roman and Jenkins or attempt to trade them for what ever picke they can get.

I see some folks say they were Defensive Captains and we need defensive veterans/leaders as we transition to a 3-4. But do we really need them? These guys are the leaders of a defense that has cost us 2 playoff games and managed to be the worst defense in the history of the NFL. I'm tired of having to scheme to their strengths. Why aren't we finding smart, fundamentally sound football players that can make smart decisions to put themselves in positions to succeed and adapt to different situations?
our terrible front 7 has been the problem for years our safeties arent the best but they are very talented and do much more than most if not all safeties in the league

I wish people will stop with this harper is a great safety bull he is a average safety and is a liability in coverage and whiffs on more tackles then he makes
thats just it we have zero great defenders on our team just so happens Harper gives us a fighting chance with his ability.. thinknwho fills running lanes better than Harper on this team and he gets off blocks better than our lbs. the money thing is a timing issue as much as it is about ability for players and its been that way for years.. once again No safety in football can cover a legit pass catcher one on one, none of them. having lbs who arent athletic enough to get a bump only makes things worse.

IF we were planning on keeping all 4 of the same safeties then we wouldn't be scouting one to possibly use a draft pick on. ITs my own theory but it has logic behinid it.

Rafael bush is an Adequate backup/special teamer
Roman is Starter
Jenkins Starter
IAQ above average backup.

With that depth and your two starters entrenched..whats the purpose of looking@ a safety?.............unless one of those guys could be gone. Now its possible we could draft a safety to compete and take Rafael Bush spot..but then why resign him now? ITs not like a future contract/camp body. U resign this guy now u plan on him being here another year.

I think you make a strong argument if the Saints drafted for need, but they have tended to draft BPA. The strategy of drafting BPA requires that you scout and rate every player at every position. That would explain why they are scouting safeties while at the same time signing Bush.

Great post. I feel the same. I don't think we cut either MJ or RH, but at least one won't be a starting safety next season. I am hoping its MJ not starting.

What does this tell me.

Rafael Bush
IAQ
Malcolm Jenkins
Roman Harper

All under contract for next year, yet we were scouting Safeties@ respective bowl games.

1 of the above players might not be here next year.

My guess Harper.

Just a theory though.

Unless you take a guy like Cooper Taylor in the 6th which would give u 5 Safeties but we also have 2 other safeties on the PS from last year. I don't know but i sense some change coming here.

You bring 95 players into camp. Rafael Bush means nothing right now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom