Saints re-sign safety D.J. Swearinger (1 Viewer)

He's a SS, too. But more of a coverage SS

Thanks. That's what I thought. I remember Jenkins playing nickel his rookie year with us before moving to FS.
What made Bell so valuable with us is that he was becoming more versatile. Dennis Allen likes his safeties to
be interchangeable so that he can disguise coverages. Bell was borderline elite against the run and as a blitzer,
and improved in coverage every year. He's young and appears to still be an ascending player. I really hate to lose
him, even though I like Malcolm Jenkins.

Guess there's still a chance we keep him. If so, that would be a grand slam. Signing Swearinger doesn't cancel that
out, but it's probably a strong clue that Bell won't be back.

Corner or wr. I love sanders just like u guys but he’s older and needs some load management
Naw I think Sanders will be ok. Too many weapons you know. He 33 but he playing like he younger. I'm going to watch the replay of 49ers vs Saints at 5pm ET, and see how he was able to get those 157 yards lol.

Had forgotten he was still around. Great for depth, obviously. Can’t ever have too many DB’s in today’s NFL.

Whether DB is a draft priority or not remains to be seen. How the staff feels about Ellis’ and Anzalone’s respective injury recovery processes could tell the tale on that.

This is a very underrated player; very happy to have him back on the roster. He will be outstanding depth for us.

I agree, he’s very good on the field imo. He’s somehow not able to stick anywhere and I think it’s how vocal he is. I love his tenacity and he has a nasty streak which we sorely need imo.

This is a good move.

Saints paid 1mil for a safety that has better coverage skills and can tackle just as good as a guy who wants 10 mil a year.
Let’s not over react now, there’s a reason Bell was our starter and Swearinger was a FA we picked up towards the end of season as a backup. He’s great depth but Bell is a lot better, younger, and more up side.

Let’s not over react now, there’s a reason Bell was our starter and Swearinger was a FA we picked up towards the end of season as a backup. He’s great depth but Bell is a lot better, younger, and more up side.

Actually Trey I’ve watched him a lot over the years. He brings a whole lot to the table, on the field. Just seems to end up rubbing the brass wrong with each team he’s on. He has not bounced around for a lack of play making ability.
He’s a baller with a nasty temperament. Which I love. We need more attitude imo.

Last edited:
Seriously though if safeties can’t cover well then they shouldn’t get 8 mill a yr. bell is a in the box safety. We are smart not to give him that much. If he only picked up 2 fumbles a year nobody would even care that he was leaving

Bring PJ back, sign Mychal Kendricks if cleared, draft Kristian Fulton, defense set
I’m a huge LSU fan. Not a big Fulton fan at CB. He is often hurt...I think he went out several games last year. He generally returned. By all accounts he’s a good kid. Fought through some adversity but I would not take him in 1st round.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom