Saints re-sign Young and Simoneau [MERGED] (1 Viewer)

bigl

All-Pro
Reaction score
YOUNG, SIMONEAU STAY WITH SAINTS

Adam Caplan of Scout.com reports that the Saints have reached agreement with two of their own free agents.

Defensive tackle Brian Young will sign a three-year, $12 million deal.
Also, linebacker Mark Simoneau will stay put.

Nice. I wanted Simoneau GONE before FA started, but it makes sense to keep him now that we have gotten Jonathan Vilma. He can back up all three LB positions, and may even be able to challenge Shanle for the WLB spot.

Also, this could mean that Brian Simmons will be released. His $3.1 million salary is too much for a 3rd stringer, at least IMO.

Why did we keep young? I mean, he's good... just never healthy...

Young is our security blanket at DT.

With him, hollis, a pick or fa, we should be fine.

I'm more surprised we kept Simoneau.

Very nice signings and gives the Saints some flexibility for the rest of FA. Simoneau is well suited to a backup role - he doesn't make many plays, but he doesn't screw up many either which is what you need in a backup.

I think Simoneau is good as a backup. Especially if we can land Vilma (who may need some breaks) or draft a young run stuffer.

I hope Young is for depth, too and its not just a desperation move after Williams got tagged.

This is actually another smart move by the front office. If Vilma's knee is not up to par, you at least have your starter from the previous year.

3 yr 12 mil is really cheap for Brian Young, too. Look at what starting DL will get in free agency, all massive contracts

Why did we keep young? I mean, he's good... just never healthy...

I don't see where you would get the idea of him never being healthy, because he's only missed 8 games in his last seven seasons, and 7 of those were last year.

It's a decent move IMO, the pickings are slim at DT on the market and you never know what you're getting with the draft. The staff looks to be positioning itself to take BPA available no matter on offense or defense. I'd still prefer defense, but hey, if the draft strategy isn't broke, don't fix it.:9:

Prior to this year he's missed 1 game in the last 6 years. I'm not ready to give him an injury prone label yet.

And I'm pretty sure he missed most of his time this year because of the flu ... right?

This is actually another smart move by the front office. If Vilma's knee is not up to par, you at least have your starter from the previous year.

3 yr 12 mil is really cheap for Brian Young, too. Look at what starting DL will get in free agency, all massive contracts

So does that kind of salary impy he will be one of our starting DTs?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom