Saints Recent History of 5th Round Draft Picks (1 Viewer)

SebaSaint

Indonesian Coon***
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
In light of the Sproles trade for a 5th rounder, I thought it'd be a good idea to see who we've drafted in the 5th round under Payton:

2013 - Kenny Stills WR
2012 - Corey White S/CB
2011 - No pick
2010 - Matt Tennant C
2009 - Thomas Morstead P
2008 - Carl Nicks G
2008 - DeMario Pressley DT
2007 - David Jones DB
2006 - Rob Ninkovich DE/OLB

Not a bad list.

Richard

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
So you're saying the Saints should trade back for more 5th pound picks? :hihi:

j/k of course. Thanks for the list.

ELLIASJWILLIAMS

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
One of these pics will be used to move up a few spots in a round if necessary

faith hope bum

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
What's scary is , when we draft someone in the third- fourth-fifth-and sixth rounds:it actually seems probable for them to become a contributor soon and possible starter eventually
(provided i've thoroughly researched them)

For instance Stills, I truly thought from Day 1 he would be going deep for us by year's end.

Same for Carl Nicks and John Jenkins. Nicks' stout frame, girth, and power made him seem like he was a lock to start at guard.

Upon researching before last year's draft, I figured john Jenkins is perfect for a starter in a 3-4 and he is; then we draft him and he becomes a starter.

I predicted Akeem Hicks before the draft after hearing about his workouts and thinking
1 LSU doesn't like to play with juco's- and if he was co0ming in he had the
measurables
2 If we do, Les expects them to start; for we must be weak at the position
3 most of LSU's other starters on that D were first rounder talents- Michea l Brockers
Mingo, Peterson, Reid ect.

Heck, after reading how Galette was doing great at a DIV 1 school before having to leave, he too seemed like a lock when we drafted him

This says volumes about the scouting department way of assesing character (the drive to improve). They just scare me with there first and second choices. Trading two firsts for Ingram is almost worthy of being fired lmao

meily

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Saints always target players who fit a skillset we covet and a 5th round pick for Sproles is good value so I expect the Saints to find a player who can help provide depth or become a future contributer.

SonOfNOLA

Run The ******* Ball
Reaction score
2 Pro Bowlers, a player that became a bonafide starter for another team, a promising young receiver, and the rest of have all held a roster spot for an entire season or two as role players. A 5th rounder for us is just as valuable as the early round picks, if you can find Pro Bowl talent that late. I think our FO has spoiled us with making great picks that late annually to the point where we'd be disappointed if they don't come away with a good player.

OP
SebaSaint

SebaSaint

Indonesian Coon***
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
What's scary is , when we draft someone in the third- fourth-fifth-and sixth rounds:it actually seems probable for them to become a contributor soon and possible starter eventually
(provided i've thoroughly researched them)

For instance Stills, I truly thought from Day 1 he would be going deep for us by year's end.

Same for Carl Nicks and John Jenkins. Nicks' stout frame, girth, and power made him seem like he was a lock to start at guard.

Upon researching before last year's draft, I figured john Jenkins is perfect for a starter in a 3-4 and he is; then we draft him and he becomes a starter.

I predicted Akeem Hicks before the draft after hearing about his workouts and thinking
1 LSU doesn't like to play with juco's- and if he was co0ming in he had the
measurables
2 If we do, Les expects them to start; for we must be weak at the position
3 most of LSU's other starters on that D were first rounder talents- Michea l Brockers
Mingo, Peterson, Reid ect.

Heck, after reading how Galette was doing great at a DIV 1 school before having to leave, he too seemed like a lock when we drafted him

This says volumes about the scouting department way of assesing character (the drive to improve). They just scare me with there first and second choices. Trading two firsts for Ingram is almost worthy of being fired lmao

We didn't draft Gallette btw. UDFA

NOFALCONS10

Not a part of your system
Reaction score
Jeff Janis is projected as a 6th rounder and might be this year's Kenny Stills.
It would surprise me if he makes it out of the 3rd but he might.

QB David Fales is also ranked as a 5th but his pocket presence reminds me of Alex Smith or Russell Wilson.

The 5 round would also be a great place to grab a RT like Matt Hall or Justin Britt or a running back.

Some quality runners who should be available in the 5th:

Tyler Gaffney
Antonio Andrews
Lorenzo Taliferro
David Fluellen
Kapri Bibbs

Kurgan

Ked' sme sami som tak rád
Reaction score
4th round (since 2006 evans and bushrod along with pittman, vaughn, arnoux, al woods, toon), 3rd round (since 2006 graham, armstead, hicks and jon jenkins along with wilson, patrick, usama young and alleman).

We have had 5 6th round picks since 2006, 8 7th round picks and of all those only strief and colston - drafted both in 2006 - have been good (jury still out on marcel jones and the like i suppose).

the-commish

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
^^^ This.

I think this gives us more ammo for swapping/moving up in the draft. Wouldn't be suprised to see us swap 1st and throw in a mid pick to move up a handful of spots to grab Brandin Cooks or ODB Jr
I would. I still think trading <B>down</B> is the way to go for the Saints this year. This draft is so deep in talent that having extra picks would be like robbing Fort Knox.

NOFALCONS10

Not a part of your system
Reaction score
The Saints haven't drafted a runner since 2007 but Gaffney has the best size/speed ratio in the draft and was highly productive his Senior Year.

He reminds me of Chris Ivory minus the injury concerns. They are both 6'0 220 and run 4.45-48

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Cb0SYGE7V94" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/z7Bg_7oapMs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>)

BoNcHiE

Every team's Elixor
Reaction score
The Saints haven't drafted a runner since 2007 but Gaffney has the best size/speed ratio in the draft and was highly productive his Senior Year.

He reminds me of Chris Ivory minus the injury concerns. They are both 6'0 220 and run 4.45-48

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Cb0SYGE7V94" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/z7Bg_7oapMs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>)
Watching Gaffney get owned over and over against Mich. State in the Rose Bowl was hard to watch.

I know he's better then that though. Stanford's coach should of been shot after his play calling in that game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Gumbo's Dad Has the recent politicization of the Saints decreased your enthusiasm for or interest in the Saints? Everything Else Board 122
Andrus What NFL teams best prepared to lose a QB to coronavirus? Ranking 1-32 | Saints’ Jameis Winston or Cowboys’ Andy Dalton No. 1? SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints D-line coach says Marcus Davenport 'definitely has room to get better' even after strong second season SR News Page Articles 0
Saints UDFA Profile: Michigan State linebacker Joe Bachie Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Holiday happiness is remembering Saints wins over the Falcons Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints expecting more from Marcus Davenport Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Fleur-de-Links, July 3: 49ers troll Saints and when Kiko Alonso is expected to return Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints banking on healthy, enthusiastic Marcus Davenport. 'He's put the work in' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
49ers promote masks, with a shot at the Saints Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Fleur-de-Links, July 2: Saints preseason cut in half and Deuce McAllister talks Latavius Murray Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Alvin Kamara’s cryptic tweet has New Orleans Saints fans in a frenzy SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Deuce McAllister on the Saints Running Backs SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette NFL to shorten 2020 preseason, Saints to open against Steelers on the road SR News Page Articles 0
Catching up with Deuce McAllister the Saints, the coronavirus and his golf game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
NFL to cut preseason in half; Saints to lose out on games vs. Rams and Dolphins Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Interviews: Saints legends Jonathan Vilma and Deuce McAllister Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Reliving some of our worst Saints vs Falcons memories Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints fantasy position groups: Wide Receivers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Former Saints LB Jonathan Vilma has high hopes for 2020 Saints defense SR News Page Articles 0
Fleur-de-Links, July 1: More from Latavius Murray and Cam Jordan ranks #2 in overall sacks for the Saints Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Super44 Non-Saints...but related to the virus and potential rate of infections, for college football. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 3
Former Saints LB Jonathan Vilma looking forward to challenge of the broadcast booth Saints RSS News Feeds 0
How Saints rank in quarterback play in Super Bowl era Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints roster battles to watch on offense, part one Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints urge mask wearing Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints Hall of Fame career of Roman Harper: An Interview SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints WR Tre'Quan Smith is primed for a breakout season in 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints Notes & Quotes: Mrs. Benson, Brees, Jenkins,Harper, Evans, and NFLPA SR News Page Articles 0
Saints coach on the art and science of training during a pandemic — with the help of Excel Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints running back Alvin Kamara has become NASCAR’s newest, biggest fan Saints RSS News Feeds 0
DerrickB Video How long will Jeff Ireland Continue his Role as Assistant Gm/College Scout Director with the Saints? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 30
What makes Jadeveon Clowney a perfect fit for the Saints Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Fleur-de-Links, June 29: Jadeveon Clowney interested in the Saints, and how the Saints became interested in Adam Trautman Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints infatuation with rookie tight end Adam Trautman began at the Senior Bowl Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints’ QB Drew Brees to sponsor Black College Football event SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette What should the Saints do with Alvin Kamara? SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette 40 best remaining free agent options for the Saints SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Larry Holder on Saints training camp and biggest surprises for upcoming season SR News Page Articles 0
mandevillekevin 8x10 Saints photo help Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 9
Andrus Report: Clowney to sign with Saints or Cowboys? SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus New Orleans Saints receivers coach Ronald Curry utilizing information, wisdom gleaned from QB Coaching Summit SR News Page Articles 0
SquareHammer Email from Saints re: 2020 Season Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 24
Andrus Saints finally have some breathing room beneath the 2020 salary cap SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Superdome to close off first 8 rows of seating during Saints games SR News Page Articles 0
No magic answer to fix Saints QB Jameis Winston's patience, but coaches say he's ready to work Saints RSS News Feeds 0
jasonsw A Saints Vision Everything Else Board 1
Saints' Benson to drop 'Dixie' from brewery name Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Nick Easton one of the Saints remaining trade chips Saints RSS News Feeds 0
WATCH: Taysom Hill and Jameis Winston lead our Saints camp battles series for QB2 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Interview: Roman Harper reflects on his Saints Hall of Fame career Saints RSS News Feeds 0