Saints Recent History of 5th Round Draft Picks (1 Viewer)

SebaSaint

Indonesian Coon***
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
In light of the Sproles trade for a 5th rounder, I thought it'd be a good idea to see who we've drafted in the 5th round under Payton:

2013 - Kenny Stills WR
2012 - Corey White S/CB
2011 - No pick
2010 - Matt Tennant C
2009 - Thomas Morstead P
2008 - Carl Nicks G
2008 - DeMario Pressley DT
2007 - David Jones DB
2006 - Rob Ninkovich DE/OLB

Not a bad list.

So you're saying the Saints should trade back for more 5th pound picks? :hihi:

j/k of course. Thanks for the list.

One of these pics will be used to move up a few spots in a round if necessary

What's scary is , when we draft someone in the third- fourth-fifth-and sixth rounds:it actually seems probable for them to become a contributor soon and possible starter eventually
(provided i've thoroughly researched them)

For instance Stills, I truly thought from Day 1 he would be going deep for us by year's end.

Same for Carl Nicks and John Jenkins. Nicks' stout frame, girth, and power made him seem like he was a lock to start at guard.

Upon researching before last year's draft, I figured john Jenkins is perfect for a starter in a 3-4 and he is; then we draft him and he becomes a starter.

I predicted Akeem Hicks before the draft after hearing about his workouts and thinking
1 LSU doesn't like to play with juco's- and if he was co0ming in he had the
measurables
2 If we do, Les expects them to start; for we must be weak at the position
3 most of LSU's other starters on that D were first rounder talents- Michea l Brockers
Mingo, Peterson, Reid ect.

Heck, after reading how Galette was doing great at a DIV 1 school before having to leave, he too seemed like a lock when we drafted him

This says volumes about the scouting department way of assesing character (the drive to improve). They just scare me with there first and second choices. Trading two firsts for Ingram is almost worthy of being fired lmao

Saints always target players who fit a skillset we covet and a 5th round pick for Sproles is good value so I expect the Saints to find a player who can help provide depth or become a future contributer.

2 Pro Bowlers, a player that became a bonafide starter for another team, a promising young receiver, and the rest of have all held a roster spot for an entire season or two as role players. A 5th rounder for us is just as valuable as the early round picks, if you can find Pro Bowl talent that late. I think our FO has spoiled us with making great picks that late annually to the point where we'd be disappointed if they don't come away with a good player.

What's scary is , when we draft someone in the third- fourth-fifth-and sixth rounds:it actually seems probable for them to become a contributor soon and possible starter eventually
(provided i've thoroughly researched them)

For instance Stills, I truly thought from Day 1 he would be going deep for us by year's end.

Same for Carl Nicks and John Jenkins. Nicks' stout frame, girth, and power made him seem like he was a lock to start at guard.

Upon researching before last year's draft, I figured john Jenkins is perfect for a starter in a 3-4 and he is; then we draft him and he becomes a starter.

I predicted Akeem Hicks before the draft after hearing about his workouts and thinking
1 LSU doesn't like to play with juco's- and if he was co0ming in he had the
measurables
2 If we do, Les expects them to start; for we must be weak at the position
3 most of LSU's other starters on that D were first rounder talents- Michea l Brockers
Mingo, Peterson, Reid ect.

Heck, after reading how Galette was doing great at a DIV 1 school before having to leave, he too seemed like a lock when we drafted him

This says volumes about the scouting department way of assesing character (the drive to improve). They just scare me with there first and second choices. Trading two firsts for Ingram is almost worthy of being fired lmao

original

We didn't draft Gallette btw. UDFA

Jeff Janis is projected as a 6th rounder and might be this year's Kenny Stills.
It would surprise me if he makes it out of the 3rd but he might.

QB David Fales is also ranked as a 5th but his pocket presence reminds me of Alex Smith or Russell Wilson.

The 5 round would also be a great place to grab a RT like Matt Hall or Justin Britt or a running back.

Some quality runners who should be available in the 5th:

Tyler Gaffney
Antonio Andrews
Lorenzo Taliferro
David Fluellen
Kapri Bibbs

4th round (since 2006 evans and bushrod along with pittman, vaughn, arnoux, al woods, toon), 3rd round (since 2006 graham, armstead, hicks and jon jenkins along with wilson, patrick, usama young and alleman).

We have had 5 6th round picks since 2006, 8 7th round picks and of all those only strief and colston - drafted both in 2006 - have been good (jury still out on marcel jones and the like i suppose).

^^^ This.

I think this gives us more ammo for swapping/moving up in the draft. Wouldn't be suprised to see us swap 1st and throw in a mid pick to move up a handful of spots to grab Brandin Cooks or ODB Jr

I would. I still think trading <B>down</B> is the way to go for the Saints this year. This draft is so deep in talent that having extra picks would be like robbing Fort Knox.

The Saints haven't drafted a runner since 2007 but Gaffney has the best size/speed ratio in the draft and was highly productive his Senior Year.

He reminds me of Chris Ivory minus the injury concerns. They are both 6'0 220 and run 4.45-48

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Cb0SYGE7V94" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/z7Bg_7oapMs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom