Saints resign PJ Williams (1 Viewer)

Yah the problem is he’s on the field too much for a 4-5th corner. Let’s pray he’s a safety

Last year he was on the field a lot due to being the starting slot corner. I think that Gardner-Johnson will take some of those snaps this season. They eased CJGJ into the lineup, so that‘s why PJ saw heavy snaps at the beginning of the season. Williams then played a lot of snaps in the second half of the season due to injuries. If PJ plays a lot this season it will be due to injury and the good thing is is that he can play a lot different positions. I was really hoping we re-signed him.

We got just the dude to teach him how to transition from corner to safety in Malcolm Jenkins. I hope the Saints at least explore that avenue because he looked pretty good in spot duty.

We have so many options in the slot, it’s a nonissue. When PJ Williams is the only option left, then I’d worry.

With MJenkins and CJGJ ability to cover the slot and both JJenkins and Lattimore having the ability to shadow receivers if needed, this secondary is in good shape with Robinson and Williams as the reserves.

Yeah, but I don't think they had a hole at LG, Easton is a proven veteran who I thought outperformed Peat. I'm just hoping he can get and stay healthy....when he is healthy he is a better player than most think....
The Saints did not have a high film grade evaluation of Easton in their end of the year grades, he blew an assignment as the 6th OL in the Minnesota game and was substituted for Omameh afterwards.

It's a situation where the Fans view point differs highly from the Staffs. People assumed Easton was playing at a high level filling in for Peat because they didn't hear his name called, but if you actually go back and break down the O-line tape they schemed to give him a lot of help from Armstead - McCoy with Combo, Duo blocks and shortened a lot of the Passing calls with quicker drops from the QB so he wouldn't have to hold up in pass protection for a prolonged time while he was filling in.

See, I tend to agree with this. I keep reading how he's proven, but the only thing he seems proven at is getting toasted. He cannot play outside at all, and he's only average inside - that might be an overstatement. I don't agree with this re-signing or the Peat re-signing. I was more than okay letting them both go. I'd much rather have Apple than P.J., and I was okay letting Apple go too.

Maybe we watch different games, but I don't get the P.J. love.

Right people need to think about it this way if either Marshon or Janoris get dinged up during this season and have to miss a few games, Patrick Robinson would have been the next guy up to be a starting Outside Corner.

This way you have a guy who your Defense is familiar with who has actually filled in for Marshon before when his hamstring issues occasionally flare up, and done an "Okay" job of filling in rather than a complete unknown.

Saints are doing this Off-season right
Sanders signing to not need to feel forced to Drafting a WR right away
bring back Peat so you're not forced to Draft a Guard early
bring PJ back to bolster Corner depth so you don't feel locked into taking a Corner Round 1.

You can now just sit back in the Draft and let it come to you, and take the best Player on the board without feeling pressured into an area of need.

With this reasoning, re-sign Apple. He's better than P-Rob and P.J. That's not saying much, but he is.

Depth move.

Solid back-up has experience starting at Boundary Corner, Nickel, and Safety. Knows Dennis Allen's system, literally no downside to this signing and it does not preclude the Saints from Drafting a young Corner; this is just insurance to bolster depth.

I’m glad he’s back as I feel he’s good depth as well.
However, I was shocked to read that Dennis Allen has a system. ?

Mark my words PJ will play safety this year
FS- Williams - Hampton
SS-Jenkins - Swearinger/Gra
DB - PJ Williams

we’re set at that position at this point

I really liked Omameh last year. You have to wondering if they haven't signed him because they want a younger and cheaper option there (rookie). But I'm sure that he'll be on speed dial or could get signed if the Saints don't go in that direction.
Omameh should be a veteran minimum player, perhaps with a small signing bonus, which means he'd qualify for the veteran salary benefit, which makes him cost the salary of a second year player against the cap.

You can never have enough DBs, we know this as well as any team. He is still just 26, he is versatile as he showed us last season stepping in and playing safety. He tackles pretty well for a CB, and I think the Jenkins addition will make them all better students of the gave and give us more accountability.

Another thing to remember is that CB Justin Hardee and S JT Gray were both signed primarily for Special Teams. PJ helps counter that by being so versatile.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom