Saints resign PJ Williams (1 Viewer)

See, I tend to agree with this. I keep reading how he's proven, but the only thing he seems proven at is getting toasted. He cannot play outside at all, and he's only average inside - that might be an overstatement. I don't agree with this re-signing or the Peat re-signing. I was more than okay letting them both go. I'd much rather have Apple than P.J., and I was okay letting Apple go too.

Maybe we watch different games, but I don't get the P.J. love.

You’re comparing keeping a borderline starter in Apple instead of PJ which is a depth signing. Their price differences are not the same. PJ is better value due to his versatility to play outside, slot, and both safety spots. I’m not even sure Apple can play anywhere besides outside corner. It would be great to have Apple as well because he is better depth at outside corner than PJ, but he’s limited to only that.

If you’re paying for someone to sit on the bench, then it’s much more valuable if he can play multiple positions if it were needed.

You’re comparing keeping a borderline starter in Apple instead of PJ which is a depth signing. Their price differences are not the same. PJ is better value due to his versatility to play outside, slot, and both safety spots. I’m not even sure Apple can play anywhere besides outside corner. It would be great to have Apple as well because he is better depth at outside corner than PJ, but he’s limited to only that.

If you’re paying for someone to sit on the bench, then it’s much more valuable if he can play multiple positions if it were needed.
I think the metric being used by some is, 'Did I see him get beat in a game?' If yes, then they're a career failure and should be disposed of ?

By that measure, we'd have no players left.

The Saints did not have a high film grade evaluation of Easton in their end of the year grades, he blew an assignment as the 6th OL in the Minnesota game and was substituted for Omameh afterwards.

It's a situation where the Fans view point differs highly from the Staffs. People assumed Easton was playing at a high level filling in for Peat because they didn't hear his name called, but if you actually go back and break down the O-line tape they schemed to give him a lot of help from Armstead - McCoy with Combo, Duo blocks and shortened a lot of the Passing calls with quicker drops from the QB so he wouldn't have to hold up in pass protection for a prolonged time while he was filling in.

As I have the time, I will try to find a way to do that. I really thought the offensive line (as a whole) played better when he was in there but I admit to not having watched offensive line game film....

Yeah, but I don't think they had a hole at LG, Easton is a proven veteran who I thought outperformed Peat. I'm just hoping he can get and stay healthy....when he is healthy he is a better player than most think....
even if Easton beats him out this year, hes a backup for tackle and guard and knows the stem. thats important specially with a likely shorter offseason this year, would be alot harder for someone else to pick it all up quick

even if Easton beats him out this year, hes a backup for tackle and guard and knows the stem. thats important specially with a likely shorter offseason this year, would be alot harder for someone else to pick it all up quick

I agree that depth is very important on the offensive line. I totally disagree that you pay Peat an above average starting G salary to be depth.....

That said, if the Saints thought there was a chance that Easton could beat out Peat then they would have probably let him walk or signed him to a much lesser contract....

See, I tend to agree with this. I keep reading how he's proven, but the only thing he seems proven at is getting toasted. He cannot play outside at all, and he's only average inside - that might be an overstatement. I don't agree with this re-signing or the Peat re-signing. I was more than okay letting them both go. I'd much rather have Apple than P.J., and I was okay letting Apple go too.

Maybe we watch different games, but I don't get the P.J. love.

I don't think it's about love. I think it's about realizing that you can't build a team with 53 players making salaries that are top 10 at their position. That and you can't force players that can be starters elsewhere to be 2nd or 3rd string in New Orleans.

Williams isn't great. But, he is probably an above average slot CB who can also play outside CB and safety in case of a disaster. Would you want him to play either position? No. But, it's possible depending on when the emergency happens that he would be better than any of the option out on the in season free agent market to play outside CB. So, he is depth. And, at $2 million he's fairly cheap depth for a versatile guy who is above average at an important position. He could even end up starting as the slot CB in the Nickel or Dime.

I would have liked to see Apple back too, but the contract he agreed to with the Raiders was $6 million and I don't think you can pay your #3 outside CB $6 million per year. Now that that contract is dissolved, maybe they can get him back on a cheap one year deal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom