Saints Restructure Brees' Contract (10,8 cap space) MERGED (1 Viewer)

I wonder what Loomis has up his sleeve? I can smell something cooking?? hint hint

Last edited:
There is still like $50 million left in 2020 cap space, even before the CBA negotiations and any other contract adjustments. I don't think it's going to be as big of a thing as we may fear.

I really hope you are right Crosswatt.

The goal of our front office is to build a team able to get to the Super Bowl. We already have that.

The priority to me is to sign the current players.

I really don't want to bring anyone if it means that we can loose one of our young stars to a second contract.

I know it is a reality we won't be able to sign everyone (case so, Ingram), but we have contracts to re-negotiate for Thomas, Bell, Unger, Cam Jordan, Rankins, etc.

If we are sad losing Ingram, then think about the future.

Whoa. What happens to this cap number if Drew retires?

This is what I was saying in another thread... If Teddy comes back this year, and Brees has a voidable year next year with a $40 million dollar cap hit... there is no cap room to keep Brees again next season at his regular $20+ million 1 year rate, and this is the last season for Brees baring something crazy... so enjoy it folks!

Also remember, we have some young all-pro talent that will need to get paid next off season as well... AND we are about to sign some guys that will add to that cap number as well in the next few days.

This is what I was saying in another thread... If Teddy comes back this year, and Brees has a voidable year next year with a $40 million dollar cap hit... there is no cap room to keep Brees again next season at his regular $20+ million 1 year rate, and this is the last season for Brees baring something crazy... so enjoy it folks!

Also remember, we have some young all-pro talent that will need to get paid next off season as well... AND we are about to sign some guys that will add to that cap number as well in the next few days.
It's not a $40m cap hit.

It's not a $40m cap hit.

Bad news: Brees' cap number for 2020 will now be $41.3 million

Which part am I reading wrong?

***EDIT:

I see it now:

Clarification: That's based on the $20 million 2020 salary on a contract that voids after this year . . . so Brees will count for $21.3 million PLUS (if he plays) whatever his 2020 cap number would be on a new deal.

That said, (if he stays one more year)... we are talking over $40 million on the cap because he will get at least another $20+ million on a 1 year deal (right?).... that's not sustainable with all the other contracts we need to do next year and the ones we'll add this year.

Bad news: Brees' cap number for 2020 will now be $41.3 million

Which part am I reading wrong?
I think that number would be correct if Drew plays next year.

Prior to this we had a $10M cap hit in dead money in 2020. With this restructure we add another $10M. So that's a $20M hit in dead money. If he plays, then we add salary to that.

At least that's how I understand it. Still makes it look like this is his last year, but that remains to be seen.

Bree's 2019 cap hit goes down from $33.5M to $22.7M to open $10.8m in cap space this but the Saints are now set to have a $21.3 dead cap hit for him in 2020

I think that number would be correct if Drew plays next year.

Prior to this we had a $10M cap hit in dead money in 2020. With this restructure we add another $10M. So that's a $20M hit in dead money. If he plays, then we add salary to that.

At least that's how I understand it. Still makes it look like this is his last year, but that remains to be seen.

Yep, I corrected my statement already... and I agree.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom