Saints Restructure Brees' Contract (10,8 cap space) MERGED (1 Viewer)

It being closed door aggrement against owners shouldn't that be illegal without including NFLPA?

Ehhh... NFL has the worst player union in sports.
I wondered the same thing. And, yeah.

By-god you're right.
He had a 22 mill cap hit last season and 27 mill cap hit this season it was all back loaded to this season. Looks like they were in front of it giving extensions the whole time.
This is something I wish we did more often. I don't like waiting until the 11th hour to sign a contract.

From what I can rememeber in the past we have done these for any player on a need-to basis. So usually it means when one happens, a signing is coming.

This is the reason a trade for Josh Rosen might make the most sense since his cap figures are extremely low for the next three seasons.

Unfortunately, I don't think we had anything to offer to the Cards for him.

To be honest, more then worried about Drew's contract, I am worried on how much we will pay Teddy to ride the bench. Right now, I am fine to bring Tannehill on a cheaper contract.

I am actually fine going with Hill as a backup, and drafting Trace McSorley with one of a latter picks. Of the qbs of this class, McSorley is the only one I really like.

I seriously doubt that's true. Future cap hit has to do with GM's making accounting moves. In no case do cap hits exceed overall compensation and Drew isn't close to being the highest compensated QB in NFL history.

Show me.

It’s been written many times. Hell the Katzenstein article talks about his hit being the highest in the league. And it’s been that way for years. If it’s not the largest in NFL history it’s close.

But the entire point is that people like to pretend Brees doesn’t do Brady type deals bc of Gisele. Brees has made $100 million in his career. Is there a person on this planet that couldn’t live on that? And not just live but live extravagantly? That one of money ensures his kids kids don’t have to work.

I’m no capologist but I’m going to assume that when brees does retire he will have a voided year to stretch the cap hit and whoever we sign be it Bridgewater or whoever will not make over $20m that first year. So we might only be in for $30-35m cap for brees and his replacement. Combined.

I’m no capologist but I’m going to assume that when brees does retire he will have a voided year to stretch the cap hit and whoever we sign be it Bridgewater or whoever will not make over $20m that first year. So we might only be in for $30-35m cap for brees and his replacement. Combined.

That's how it works. More like 40 million. But don't forget the owners are pushing for a "capless" season in the near future so everybody can get out of the hole and start from scratch. This move was a genius, Patriot like move.

That's how it works. More like 40 million. But don't forget the owners are pushing for a "capless" season in the near future so everybody can get out of the hole and start from scratch. This move was a genius, Patriot like move.
My opinion is brees is $20m and new qb is $10-15 max. So $30-35m.

It’s been written many times. Hell the Katzenstein article talks about his hit being the highest in the league. And it’s been that way for years. If it’s not the largest in NFL history it’s close.

But the entire point is that people like to pretend Brees doesn’t do Brady type deals bc of Gisele. Brees has made $100 million in his career. Is there a person on this planet that couldn’t live on that? And not just live but live extravagantly? That one of money ensures his kids kids don’t have to work.
No, show me that he is the highest in the history of the nfl as you said. He isn't. That hasn't been written many times. Its a silly, impossible statement.

Show me.

Why are you so combative? Everything ok at the house?
Don't make it personal. You don't want to get into that kinda thing here. Seriously.

I just want you to prove what you say or stop making silly pronouncements as absolutes.

Don't make it personal. You don't want to get into that kinda thing here. Seriously.

I just want you to prove what you say or stop making silly pronouncements as absolutes.

Not making anything personal. Go look at the tone of both mine and your posts and tell me which one seems to be making it personal.

Not making anything personal. Go look at the tone of both mine and your posts and tell me which one seems to be making it personal.
Lol. Asking me about my home life isn't personal? Nothing I said was out of bounds or personal in any way. You made a statement that was ridiculous and I put you on the spot about it.

But I never talked about you. Just your statement. Now I suggest you put me on ignore if you can't back up what you say.

Last edited:
Lol. Asking me about my home life isn't personal? Nothing I said was out of bounds or personal in any way. You made a statement that was ridiculous and I called you out on it.

But I never talked about you. Just your statement. Now I suggest you put me on ignore if you can't back up what you say.

Dude, “everything ok at the house” is a phrase. I’m not literally taking about your home dwelling place.

It’s like saying “who peed in your Wheaties”? They aren’t literally asking you who urinated in your breakfast cereal that tastes like cardboard.

Moving along to the topic at hand. I had read that he has the largest percent cap hit in NFL History. Read if a few years back. I’m driving 400 miles to get home so certainly can’t go researching 1000 artickes to find it.

With that said, before the restructuring m, he had the largest cap hit of any player in the league. I.e., largest % of the cap. And since the salary cap is the highest it’s ever been, that gives his hit the highest percentage in NFL History.

I’m sorry man. I don’t get anything out of winning or trying to win internet arguments. So maybe I don’t argue as hard as I could, or as some do.

Dude, “everything ok at the house” is a phrase. I’m not literally taking about your home dwelling place.

It’s like saying “who peed in your Wheaties”? They aren’t literally asking you who urinated in your breakfast cereal that tastes like cardboard.

Moving along to the topic at hand. I had read that he has the largest percent cap hit in NFL History. Read if a few years back. I’m driving 400 miles to get home so certainly can’t go researching 1000 artickes to find it.

With that said, before the restructuring m, he had the largest cap hit of any player in the league. I.e., largest % of the cap. And since the salary cap is the highest it’s ever been, that gives his hit the highest percentage in NFL History.

I’m sorry man. I don’t get anything out of winning or trying to win internet arguments. So maybe I don’t argue as hard as I could, or as some do.
Still, show me. I'll wait till you get home. Or tomorrow or whenever.

So far all you're doing is bouncing words. What you are suggesting is impossible. Cap hits can never be more than compensation. Drew is not the highest compensated player ever, ergo your historical statement cannot be true.

And you're doing a pretty good job of arguing. Lots of words anyway.

And that home life thing is no old saw I've ever heard before and certainly personal. In fact, until you can prove your point take any future replies to PM and lets quit screwing up this thread for everyone else.

You have given the 1 and only example of a top 5 QB ever doing this. Rodgers? Favre? Manning? Big Ben? who? Yes so guys like Brees don't take pay cuts.

Brady doesn't take pay cuts, that's a myth. He converts to signing bonus's that lower his cap hit. Manning turned down 100 million from the Broncos and took less money because he wanted them to have more money for other players. Brees could've had several million more a year but he took less to help the team out on his current contract.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom