Saints restructure Colston, Grubbs, J. Evans, and Hawthorne (Merge-o-Rama) (1 Viewer)

Brees restructuring might actually hurt us in future years as I believe it would push his cap numbers for the 2014,2015 season upwards of 28, 29 mil... which would make it unbelievably difficult to manage the rest of the cap without a bigtime overall cap increase.

Thank you!

There is the New England option of extending him beyond his prime years and risking that he sticks around beyond his useful life or retires and the cap # explodes and destroys the team financially. It would virtually guarantee that the team would be awful after he declined.

Anyone else feel like we're kickin the can down the road? I mean, its gonna help us this season, but next season we're gonna be in even worse cap trouble.

That is exactly what is happening but I mean what else can we do?

Colston needs to give a little back after his dropsies and fumbles last year. Thank goodness Jimmy Graham covered that fumble in OT in the Dallas game.

Now we just need to cut Smith, Vilma, and Harper, and get new blood in there that can help us during our 5 year window.

I couldnt agree more!!!

Since we couldn't stop a soul with them???

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Saints, in need of cap space, completed a restructured deal with WR Marques Colston. Have offered W. Smith and Vilma lesser deals to stay</p>&mdash; Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) <a href="https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/306900877011210240">February 27, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I see their gunning for the low hanging fruit. They must do some heavy lifting shortly.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Brees restructuring might actually hurt us in future years as I believe it would push his cap numbers for the 2014,2015 season upwards of 28, 29 mil... which would make it unbelievably difficult to manage the rest of the cap without a bigtime overall cap increase.

You are right about Brees cap numbers becomes inflated if his deal is restructured.

Well players deserves the millions that they get by putting their bodies on the line and playing at a super high level but there has to be a ceiling on what a team can afford to pay players including the superstars before they end up destorying the team.

But this goes on Brees shoulders when he was niegotating his deal, last year. Sure he deserves $100 million contract with 60 million upfront and 18-20 million per year. But how important is this deal if he wants another superbowl ring? How much money is a enough???

Hell even Sean Payton gave a part of salary to Gregg Williams to get a superbowl. That what leaders do.

Also lets keep in mind that this time next year, if we're in cap trouble again. We won't be able to re-negotiate, Lofton, Colston, Grubbs, Hawthorne, or Evans again... as I believe you can only restructure a players contract once.

So what will we do then? Mass purging of the roster will ensue... I'm sure someone with much more cap knowledge can shed light on what the possibilities will be. I don't think it will get to that point though, as we still have Smith, and Vilma to re-work. I think Vilma ends up taking a pay cut, and Smith might be on his way out. But once we have those two contracts off the books we should be in the clear... for now at least... we'll still be cutting it close with signing our Draft picks, and won't have much room to play with in Free Agency though. Maybe just enough to re-sign Bushrod, or another Tackle.

Also lets keep in mind that this time next year, if we're in cap trouble again. We won't be able to re-negotiate, Lofton, Colston, Grubbs, Hawthorne, or Evans again... as I believe you can only restructure a players contract once.

So what will we do then? Mass purging of the roster will ensue... I'm sure someone with much more cap knowledge can shed light on what the possibilities will be. I don't think it will get to that point though, as we still have Smith, and Vilma to re-work. I think Vilma ends up taking a pay cut, and Smith might be on his way out. But once we have those two contracts off the books we should be in the clear... for now at least... we'll still be cutting it close with signing our Draft picks, and won't have much room to play with in Free Agency though. Maybe just enough to re-sign Bushrod, or another Tackle.

Well if the player has a lot of years left on the deal, restructuring doesnt have to be crippling.

If you have 4 years left on your deal, moving $4 million off the books this year only prorates to an extra cap hit of $1 million per year. So restructuring isn't inherently crippling.

But you're right, you can't just restructure over and over. Multiple restructures will pile up. So corresponding salary trim for future years has to occur.

Will Smith is on the books for million this year, so simply clearing him off the books for next, by not extending him significant guaranteed money for instance, can zero out the increased cap hit from pro-ration. But you have to balance it out like that, taking on future money has to be balanced by reducing future obligations.

You are right about Brees cap numbers becomes inflated if his deal is restructured.

Well players deserves the millions that they get by putting their bodies on the line and playing at a super high level but there has to be a ceiling on what a team can afford to pay players including the superstars before they end up destorying the team.

But this goes on Brees shoulders when he was niegotating his deal, last year. Sure he deserves $100 million contract with 60 million upfront and 18-20 million per year. But how important is this deal if he wants another superbowl ring? How much money is a enough???

Hell even Sean Payton gave a part of salary to Gregg Williams to get a superbowl. That what leaders do.

Oh stop. If Drew doesn't restructure in the offseason leading up to 2015, this would make sense. His cap hit is manageable this year and next compared to quarterbacks of his caliber throughout the league, and even some who couldn't hold his jock. And I don't see why Drew wouldn't kick a few million of his current base salary down the line for a restructure to signing bonus, but it's ridiculous to think that he should go as the FO to do anything when they are obviously already doing what they think is necessary.

I can't see Drew saying no to Loomis tomorrow if Loomis asked him to convert $3M of his base to a bonus to spread across the future of his contract to clear another $3M this year, but there would be zero benefit in him being the one to clear tens of millions of dollars of his contract because of the enormity of the bite in the *** that would follow and because that would effectively price himself out of the remaining years on his deal.

You can absolutely restructure a player's deal more than once. I don't know where this rumor got started that you can't but it is 100% false. Matter of fact, this is the second year in a row that Jahri Evans has restructured.

Would it be wise to restructure everyone again next year? Depends on what you think the window to win a super bowl is.

Alright, thanks Spam and Inside for clearing that up for me.

But I think the point still stands, restructuring too many times isn't really what you want as you just keep pushing that salary back even further and further and eventually you're just going to have to eat that cap hit.

I guess my fear is that in 2016, 2017 when Brees is either retired or coming to the end of his run we'll just be completely crippled by all these contracts we're reworking.. but I guess we're really going all in and mortgaging the future for now while we still have an Elite QB in his prime.. and we'll worry about the ramifications when they come.

Well players deserves the millions that they get by putting their bodies on the line and playing at a super high level

Players Deserve the Millions they get?!?

So why aren't our Military Men and Women, Firefighters, and Police Officers all Billionaires? Atleast they all put there lives on the line. ProFootball players get free college educations and then go on to make millions playing a game, its disgusting.

Forgive me for going off-topic, but I could not let this comment slide IMO.

Oh stop. If Drew doesn't restructure in the offseason leading up to 2015, this would make sense. His cap hit is manageable this year and next compared to quarterbacks of his caliber throughout the league, and even some who couldn't hold his jock. And I don't see why Drew wouldn't kick a few million of his current base salary down the line for a restructure to signing bonus, but it's ridiculous to think that he should go as the FO to do anything when they are obviously already doing what they think is necessary.

I can't see Drew saying no to Loomis tomorrow if Loomis asked him to convert $3M of his base to a bonus to spread across the future of his contract to clear another $3M this year, but there would be zero benefit in him being the one to clear tens of millions of dollars of his contract because of the enormity of the bite in the *** that would follow and because that would effectively price himself out of the remaining years on his deal.
Oh well, at least I can vent about it...

no reason to cut Hawthorne you need at least 3 to 4 competent ILBs to rotate in and out of the game...The Steelers have had guys like Farrior, Timmons, & Foote, etc all on the roster at the same time...Foote being that 3rd guy backup, which is what Hawhtorne would be at worst, at best he starts alongside Lofton in the middle which is what will probably be the case unless Tez ends up at ILB with Galette and draft pick/FA on the outsides

Kicking the can down the road isn't bad when the road gets much larger in the next few years.

The cap goes up in 2014 and 2015.

Players Deserve the Millions they get?!?

So why aren't our Military Men and Women, Firefighters, and Police Officers all Billionaires? Atleast they all put there lives on the line. ProFootball players get free college educations and then go on to make millions playing a game, its disgusting.

Forgive me for going off-topic, but I could not let this comment slide IMO.
Because soldiers, firefighters and so on are not a part of a private company that gains billions of dollars thanks to them, maybe?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom