Saints Rookie Predictions for the Future (1 Viewer)

SouthernSaint

WWBD?
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
As everyone knows the draft is hit and miss. A few stars will emerge with the majority of the players being solid starters/contributors or back ups and many not even making teams. I figured while we are reading all the reviews and tape of our new picks we could list our predictions for our rookies.

Now here is the twist, So we don't have everyone giving out Star predictions I propose that we use 5 different options for our 5 new Saints. Example: I believe out of our 5 rookies John Doe is most likely to Blank (Star, Starter, Contributor, Back up, Wash-Out) and why. Each Label must be used so its like a match game. Hope everyone has fun with this :ezbill:

Star -Consistently an All Pro/Probowl player.
Starter- Really good player would be hard to replace.
Contributor- Almost starter caliber, Subs in frequently.
Back up- Almost never sees the field unless its Special Teams, Usually a short career.
Wash-Out- Usually doesnt make it past training camp or never on active roster.

Alright so while I hope all our Rookies will be Stars these are my predictions on who I believe is most likely to fit each grade.

Star - Kenny Vaccaro
I believe that in our system Kenny will be a star because Rob Ryan will use him like a Queen on a chess board and move him around the field to take away all of our opponents key pieces. Need to keep that tight end in check? no problem. Slot receiver? Can do that too. Put him in the box? He will lay the wood on that running back. Cover deep? He was originally recruited as a receiver so he has ball skills too.

Starter - Terron Armstead
Terron will be Drews best friend keeping his man off Drew and running 40 yards down field in 4.71 seconds to block for Sproles :hihi:

Contributor - Kenny Stills
I believe Stills will be a key cog in our offense that subs frequently. Lance Moore seems to miss a few games a year and with Stills we wont miss a beat. He will also be a big help stretching the field with Morgan.

Back Up -John Jenkins
I believe Jenkins will be the one most likely to earn this label out of the 5. I believe he will struggle with his weight and wont be the Space eater/run stuffer we are looking for. I believe he doesn't beat out Bunkley and after a year or two of giving him a chance we phase him out with someone else.

Wash-Out - Rufus Johnson
I believe out of the 5 rookies Rufus would be the most likely to Wash out. He is from a small school and doesn't have much technique.

Can't wait to read about everyone else's predictions!

Well I'll say this... I think Stills is going to be star... him and morgan lined up on either side of the field, get ready to be devoured secondarys of the NFL. I'm excited, really excited about all of our draft picks I think we've hit a homerun on this draft, time will tell.

John Doe is definitely most likely to Blank. Why? That's what his year book said.

Seriously, I feel wrong saying that someone will become a star and two other people will be backups/washouts. If I had to, I'd probably pick the same as the OP did.

star: Terron Armstead
Starter: John Jenkins
contributor: Kenny Stills
backup: Rufus Johnson
wash-out: Kenny Vaccaro

Terron Armstead will be the best of the 2013 draft choices.
John Jenkins will be the biggest disappointment of the 2013 draft choices.

In the long tail, I fully expect J. Jenkins to be at the very least a 'starter'. Agree on Stills. I see stills and morgan getting snaps @ Devery's 'spot' as so to speak. Eventually, Stills taking over for Moore and Toon grooming under Colston. Making Stills a contributor, like Moore, but not 'super-star' per se. Armstead may have a few pro bowls in his future if he transitions well, and stays free of injury. I think starter is pretty spot on, at the very least I expect him to be better than Bushrod. I think Rufus is a mystery, he could very easily get buried, once all the additions manifest itself and decisions have to be made. Perhaps, he maybe a good PS stash then work his way on to the field, ala Galette?

Nice Analysis.

Kenny Vaccaro - Starter
Terron Armstead - Star
Jon Jenkins - Contributor
Kenny Stills - Contributor
Rufus Johnson - Wash out

Vaccaro will be a huge boost for our secondary, but I don't see him being a superstar.

Armstead will benefit from being on an offense with Drew Brees. He made Bushrod a probowler and Armstead has better tools.

Jenkins has all the tools also, but the knock on him is that he doesn't have great stamina.

Star -Armstead. This kid has freak athletic ability combined with a mean streak and desire to be the best.

Starter- I'm putting Kenny Stills here even though I think he'll be between starter and contributor. Receivers with elite speed have certainly found a big role on this team and I think Stills may be the best of the speed guys we've had. Also think Vaccaro will be a starter because we always start 1st round picks on defense regardless if they deserve it.

Contributor- Jenkins may start but I believe he'll be a 30 snap a game space eater and wont really be a full time starter. Rufus is interesting to me, he has the raw athletic ability to be a star but how he transitions to the NFL is impossible to guess. Different scheme, different position and going from small school to NFL will be a challenge but physically he is gifted enough to make it look easy. We'll see.

Back up-

Wash-Out- Eventually Vaccaro will end up here after a few painful seasons of watching him underwhelm. Similar to a lot of our prior defensive 1st round picks. Ellis and Jenkins are both good examples.

As far as Vaccaro goes, I am not ready to predict multiple pro-bowls right out of the gate, until I see some on- the field production in the new system. However, automatically he provides many options in the present and give more flexibility for future, mainly due to his versatility. Improving the slot/te man-to man defense, is of great need and of great value. If he turns out to be even an Eric Weddle type, skill level wise, I'd be happy with that. I am going with solid, starter-star range.

Star - Kenny Vaccaro
I also think Kenny will have a major role on the new defense that were trying to build. He has sideline to sideline speed. He can also be converted or used in a nickel cb situation. Defitnitely will excel under Rob Ryan's system.

Starter - John Jenkins
I feel like John Jenkins was destined to drop for us to trade up for. I think Saints (and I) loved his athleticism and his production at Georgia. Jenkins is definitely my draft sleeper and i feel like can make a major impact for the Saints and to the NFL.

Contributor - Kenny Stills
Love his speed. I feel Kenny Stills and Jimmy Graham are gonna be friends. He should teach Kenny to be more tough! lol Devery Henderson doesnt look like he'll be with us in the future, and Morgan and Him have a legit shot to have be good. Lets not forget who's throwing to him ;).

Back Up -Terron Armstead
I don't think we're ready throw an inexperienced Tackle into the game, without trying really hard on Charles Brown and others. He can even come in if injury Brows injures herself and he can come to play. I think he's in a great position and can be a huge steal in the draft later on.

2) I really like Chase Thomas, too. Can contribute in this defense. But a definite back up.

Wash-Out - Rufus Johnson
I think we wasted this pick, tbh. Not hating the player, but there was other better options. Imagine Rontez Miles with the 7th!? Again, my un-educated Rufus Johnson opinion.

I wonder how many would have predicted Jahri Evans to be a wash out...

Point being: don't discredit Rufus because he comes from a small school.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom