Saints Roster who makes the trasition (DE/OLB/DT) (1 Viewer)

saint_cajun78

Very Banned
Reaction score
Ok from the current Roster who do you think makes the trasition or who do you think gets the axe? (Green sure thing, Orange...maybe, Red should be gone):

62 Broughton, Braylon DE 6-6 272 DE
93 Galette, Junior DE 6-2 258 OLB<O:p</O:p
94 Jordan, Cameron DE 6-4 287 DE<O:p</O:p
90 McBride, Turk DE 6-2 278 OLB?<O:p</O:p
99 Richardson, Jay DE 6-6 280 DE (Don't know much about him)
Romeus, Greg DE 6-5 267 OLB may not be here...can't stay healthy
91 Smith, Will DE 6-3 282 DE if he stays
95 Wilson, Martez DE 6-4 252 OLB<O:p</O:p
77 Bunkley, Brodrick DT 6-2 306 DE/NT
98 Ellis, Sedrick DT 6-1 307 Gone or should be<O:p</O:p
76 Hicks, Akiem DT 6-5 324 DE/NT
96 Johnson, Tom DT 6-3 288 DE depth
75 Walker, Tyrunn DT 6-3 294 DE

Cam jordan
akiem hicks
gallette
Tez
Hawthorne
will all improve in the 3-4 scheme, IMO

I cant WAIT to see what a healthy hawthorne does at ILB

Sorry I didn't include the ILB guys but I think we know the transition there pretty well with the exception of Vilma's status. I think we are set with Lofton and Hawthorne at the ILB position. I too have high hopes for Hawthorne this year.

Broughton- can this guy even play football. Obviously the size is right...but can he play?

Galette- 99% likely to be starter at WOLB (other 1% is if the Saints are blessed with Jarvis Jones at #15)

Jordan- DE starter lock

McBride-would play DE...but the guy just isn't very good and is always hurt. NOT ON TEAM.

Romeus- Would play WOLB...backing up Galette (if he can stay healthy and make the team)

Smith- Would play DE...backing up Cam Jordan. Likely will be cut...but if he plays close to vet minimum...might be a decent backup.

Wilson- I don't think that he is an OLB. I think that he is an ILB. He played MLB in college where he was excellent...played ILB in 3-4 situations under GW...and Spags was stupid and put him at DE...and he didn't do anything. He is an ILB.

Bunkley- NT. Very likely your starter unless the Saints decide to go LDE round one (Star vs Richardson vs Floyd). In that scenario Hicks would alternate w/ Bunkley.

Ellis- 100% not resigned.

Hicks- As above. He will likely be either splitting time at NT with Bunkley, or starting at LDE (or both).

Johnson- I think that he can backup either DE position. He is going to provide valuable depth.

Walker- This is a tough one. I think that he is a better fit at UT in a 4-3. He is a talented guy...but I don't think that he has the discipline to play on the line in a 3-4 front. I think that he is either a training squad guy or cut until he can prove me otherwise.

Vilma- Would play WILB in the 3-4. I honestly think that Hawthorne will be better than him. I think that it will be Hawthorne and Wilson alternating at WILB. I just don't see how Vilma contributes to this team.

Hawthorne- WILB. Much better fit at WILB than SOLB. I think that Martez Wilson & Hawthorne will alternating depending on subpackage.

Found this Article from pre-2011 Draft about DE's. Here is what they had to say about Camron Jordan:

Cameron Jordan (California)<O:p</O:p
Jordan will follow in the line of elite 3-4 defensive ends. Jordan has the size and strength to be a very good defensive end but he is also a lot more athletic than most of the prospects we have seen before. He dominated in every aspect at the Senior Bowl as be consistently beat both offensive tackles and guards and was a disruptive force the entire week. He isn&#8217;t an elite pass rusher (be he could play three technique just like former teammate Tyson Alualu) but he is extremely good against the run. He collected 62 tackles and 12.5 for a loss in 2010. He did have show some pass rush ability with 5.5 sacks last year and 6 sacks the year before. Jordan is the ideal fit and a much better prospect than Tyson Jackson who went 3<SUP>rd</SUP> overall in 2009.

I think he will be a great 3-4 DE for us.<O:p</O:p

I think Broughton can play a Terrell Suggs role. He is supposedly extremely athletic for his size and should excell at OLB in a 3-4. Granted we haven't seen anything from him since pre-season, he has the ability to be a good blitzer but it doesn't mean he will.

Tyrunn Walker is in the same boat, has the ability and when we go to a nickel package would make a good 3tech next to Hicks inside.

Romeus, while I'd love to see the kid come back and play I just can't get myself excited about him anymore until he can at least get through one Off-Season and Pre-Season.

Given our play last year and our limited draft picks and money for FA, we really need some of these back-ups/practice squad guys to step up. If Broughton could step up and play well then that would greatly help this defense. I'm hoping someone is hungry on this defense and wants to get retribution for last years embarrasment on and off field.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom