Saints running 3-4 defends in 2008? (fan opinion) (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Try this on for size, the saints take Phillips in the 1st, take Goff in the 2nd, then take Geno Hayes in the 3rd. Sign Trufant and Dontarrius Thomas in FA, then we would have Grant, Thomas, and Smith along the d-line. Put Fujita and Hayes at olb, D. Thomas and Goff in the middle, then have Trufant, Mckenzie or Usama Young at corner and have Phillips and Harper at safety.

I think the saints could pull this off and have a very good defense, what do you guys think?

I would leave Fujita in the middle. The OLB's need to be real quick. Fujita is a towering presence and a great tackler. Kinda like Vaughn Johnson. He was not too fast. But the man was HUGE and a fierce tackler. Fujita is kinda like him only probably a little better in coverage as well.

Smith can't play DE in a 3-4 defense. Maybe OLB in a semi-down stance.

Fujita's name should never be mentioned in the same sentence as Vaughn Johnson. We would have to get 4 new linebackers.

I think smith could play DE in a 3-4, olb no, he's not fast enough

Well, that is where my opinion differs. He may not be fast enough for OLB but he is definitely too small to play DE in a 3-4 defense.

Will Smith is 6'3" 282 lbs. Here are the weights of some of other DEs that do play in a 3-4 scheme.

Dallas

Chris Canty -- Height: 6-7 Weight: 299
Marcus Spears -- Height: 6-4 Weight: 305

Baltimore

Haloti Ngata -- Height: 6-4 Weight: 340
Dwan Edwards -- Height: 6-3 Weight: 315

New England

Jarvis Green -- Height: 6-3 Weight: 285
Ty Warren -- Height: 6-5 Weight: 300

San Diego

Luis Castillo -- Height: 6-3 Weight: 290
Igor Olshansky -- Height: 6-6 Weight: 309

Pittsburgh

Brett Keisel -- Height: 6-5 Weight: 285
Nick Eason -- Height: 6-3 Weight: 305

===

Smith only compares to a few of these guys but the most important reason Smith wouldn't play well in a 3-4 scheme at DE is because his best attribute would be neutralized. DEs in a 3-4 are not asked to pressure the QB as much as they are to take on blockers in order to get their LBs free.

If the Saints want a 3-4 they would probably do better trading Smith for a top young linebacker and they would have to do it quickly before his contract is up.

Smith, with his speed, would be best suited to lose a few pounds and play the hybrid OLB position in a 3-4 like Ware.

Will Smith is 6'3" 282 lbs.

Maybe when was coming out of Ohio St. Judging by his physique and ample mid section Smith's got to be pusing 300. Grant looks to be around 300 too. Smith went from having both a speed rush and good power rush to a slow bullrusher. The Saints need both guys to drop a few......

Do you think he could make the transition? I think it would possibly be easier for Smith to bulk up and continue playing D-end. Ware looks pretty small compared to Smith.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom