Saints running 3-4 defends in 2008? (fan opinion) (1 Viewer)

How many times are we going to have to go through this? To switch to the 3-4 would mean most of our defenders (our better defenders) would be out of place. Fujita failed in the 3-4, however he has done well in a 4-3. Our three best defenders (Smith, Grant, Fujita) have no place in the 3-4. You would basically have to scrap everything we have. And for those that say play Grant at DE in the 3-4, are you really going to play a 3-4 DE 10+ million a year?

How many times are we going to have to go through this? To switch to the 3-4 would mean most of our defenders (our better defenders) would be out of place. Fujita failed in the 3-4, however he has done well in a 4-3. Our three best defenders (Smith, Grant, Fujita) have no place in the 3-4. You would basically have to scrap everything we have. And for those that say play Grant at DE in the 3-4, are you really going to play a 3-4 DE 10+ million a year?

:plus-un2: :plus-un2: :plus-un2: :plus-un2:
that says it all
/end thread

His cap hit isn't near 10 million per year. I think with their recent weight gains, Smith and Grant would do well in a 3-4 defense. It just might revitalize them.

The main problem I see with running 3-4 sets is we'd have to get three new LBers.

His cap hit isn't near 10 million per year. I think with their recent weight gains, Smith and Grant would do well in a 3-4 defense. It just might revitalize them.

The main problem I see with running 3-4 sets is we'd have to get three new LBers.

Neither Grant nor Smith are 3-4 DE's, I am sorry. I know Grant had an off year but he and Smith are basically the same type of player. You put them at DE in a 3-4 scheme they just won't make it, nor will they have an impact.

And no his camp hit isn't 10 million but his deal averages 10 million per year (20 million of that was bonus money). Tell me how many 3-4 DE's get 20 million gauranteed?

Anyone that wants either Smith or Grant to play DE in a 3-4 system is bascially trying to put square pegs into round holes. They don't fit, you take away what makes them good players.

If you want a 3-4 (and the Saints coaching staff doesn't at this time) you have to start over. We have NO linebackers that fit, we have a NT that might fit, we have no DE's (infact our best fit at 3-4 DE might actually be Lake).

I know the dome patrol brings back memories, I know everyone wants to get back to that type of defense. However, you can have a good defense and not run the 3-4 (teams do it everyday). Right now we are structured for the 4-3, thats a concret fact.

sorry for the typos, i'm typing in the dark.

So am I, and I haven't btuchered a word yet.

Woop, there it went.

:hihi:

I agree with rlemieux, though. If we were going to go 3-4, 2006 would have been the time to do it. Now there's too much big money and not enough tradable pieces to get what'd we need to effectively run a 3-4.

Well the way smith played this year all he did was take up blockers, he certainly wasn't rushing the quarterback. And to all those who go on about us needing new linebackers, did you even read my first post. At 6'3 282 both smith and grant could play DE in the 3-4, i see smith as a luis castillo type. Who cares about how much money he's making, if it helps helps turn our defense into a good one i'm all for it, because the way our defense played this year something needs to change.

Fujita's name should never be mentioned in the same sentence as Vaughn Johnson. We would have to get 4 new linebackers.

I have to second this. Vaughn Johnson was probably one of the most intimidating LB"ers of his time and was by far the most underrated of the dome patrol in my opinion. While, Fujita is and continues to be the most overrated player on this board. I think he has been solid and has produced adequately only to look better compared to the poor quality of LB'ers around him. Not sure how many other teams he would be starting for.

But, about the original post, I think it would be too much of an overhaul to try and switch defenses now. Our offense is primed for success and wasting another year of that trying to learn a new defense would be a mistake I think. We need (at least) 2 new LB'ers, a DT and probably 2 new corners to solve our problems already....don't add learning a new defense to those problems.

Maybe when was coming out of Ohio St. Judging by his physique and ample mid section Smith's got to be pusing 300. Grant looks to be around 300 too. Smith went from having both a speed rush and good power rush to a slow bullrusher. The Saints need both guys to drop a few......

Grant has gotten flat out fat. My guess is he is pushing 330 easy.

You can't change schemes then go draft people to fit it. You need to have personnel to run it prior to changing schemes.

Yes! The problem to all of the Saints defensive problems......run a 3-4! Why you ask? Because...well, I don't really know, I just know some other teams run the 3-4 and we ran it when we had a good defense, so therefore, we have to run the 3-4!

Next post…….let give a nick name to our training staff!!

Well the way smith played this year all he did was take up blockers, he certainly wasn't rushing the quarterback.

You're still trying to put a square peg in a round hole. He's not a 3-4 DE. His best asset is rushing from the edge. The fact that he didn't do well this season does not change that fact. :dunno:

He started for the Chiefs and Cowboys.

Well, KC's defenses were in the bottom 4 of the league the 3 years he was there and
in Dallas I don't think he was a full-time starter with that defense which was very good.
If he was a full-timer he only had 54 tackles.....so, sounds like more of the same in KC being a decent player on a bad defense.

I just think he is an average NFL LB'er but agreed that he is the best we have.....which is depressing.

I just think he is an average NFL LB'er but agreed that he is the best we have.....which is depressing.

And I don't think that's an unfair take. Fujita is a solid player but isn't likely to come up in an unbiased discussion of the better current LBers. He's not bad, but he's not a consistent game-changer nor is he the kind of player that OCs will probably ever gameplan around. He seems to be a hardworking player capable of making the occasional big play. At the same time, he won't be the guy blowing a lot of assignments, look out of place or incapable, and isn't often likely to be the guy people are pointing the finger at after a loss.

The way I'd approach it is Fujita is one of the few guys on defense the team could build around. I think he's proven to be good enough to start. There are much more glaring needs.

And I don't think that's an unfair take. Fujita is a solid player but isn't likely to come up in an unbiased discussion of the better current LBers. He's not bad, but he's not a consistent game-changer nor is he the kind of player that OCs will probably ever gameplan around. He seems to be a hardworking player capable of making the occasional big play. At the same time, he won't be the guy blowing a lot of assignments, look out of place or incapable, and isn't often likely to be the guy people are pointing the finger at after a loss.

The way I'd approach it is Fujita is one of the few guys on defense the team could build around. I think he's proven to be good enough to start. There are much more glaring needs.

Agreed. Don't mind him remaining a starter but you must upgrade around him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom