Saints Salary Cap Situation Still a Disaster Even If Drew Brees Retires (1 Viewer)

SuperSaint

Trek expert & WoW junkie
Reaction score
"Salary cap hell" is a term thrown around a lot in the NFL without much substance. Teams are not permitted to go over the league's hard cap number, and entering every offseason it looks like a few teams will have trouble getting under that particular number thanks to outrageous cap hits from big contracts. At the end of every offseason, those teams easily slide underneath the hard cap because of a few minuscule moves that make no difference to fans but make all the difference in the cap world, like converting salary to signing bonuses.

This year, the salary cap dance is going to be much more difficult. For the first time since 2011, the NFL salary cap will not increase year-over-year. Thanks to the lost revenue from a year largely without fans at games, the 2021 salary cap is expected to decrease about $19 million, from $198 million in 2020 to $179 million in 2021. Every year since 2011, the cap has jumped $10 million per year, so all-in-all it's a difference of $30 million from where teams expected the number to be this time last year. NFL teams plan in the long-term, especially with contract numbers and how they relate to salary. Deals signed over the last few offseasons assumed the 2021 salary cap would be over $200 million...

I don't know who Liam McKeone is, but I know he doesn't know **** about NFL salary cap management strategies.

Dont we have a boatload of opinions and articles that surface every single offseason talking about how much the salary cap is in hell, then Mickey always add free agents and they be like "how the Saints sign him with no money??" Please stop trying to bring the team and the fans down with stories that are not contextually accurate. We already know how this is going to go down on Airlines drive once Mickey Loomis start cookin.

If this was an issue that only effected the Saints we would be in trouble but it’s going to be a problem for every team. The NFL isn’t going to allow its product to be decimated by this. I don’t know what the answer will be but it won’t be half the league having to cut their star players

The prospect that the salary cap as currently projected will stay in place is most likley bogus. Both teams and players have incentives to push it back to a reasonable level. So don't count on the cap sitting were it is now.

The biggest issue is having Drew wait till june 1st to officially retire.

He can be designated a post-June 1st cut even if he is cut before June 1st. You can use this designation on two players. I'd imagine Brees would be candidate #1 for that.

He can be designated a post-June 1st cut even if he is cut before June 1st. You can use this designation on two players. I'd imagine Brees would be candidate #1 for that.
I hope that you are right.

What will likely happen is that he will take a salary cut to veteran minimum before the league year starts to save the team $24M, and then retire on June 2 so that the proration remains in next years cap.
I think it was in the CBS article where this move was mentioned.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom