Saints saving money for Colston and Evans? (1 Viewer)

buddydlives

Very Banned
Reaction score
I read an interesting article on WWLTV.com. It was by the 'Forecast' guy. I don't usually like his stuff, I think he's too negative but he brings up an interesting point about the huge money Javon Walker, Bernard Berrian, and Alan Faneca got. He basically says the Saints may have not spent big in free agency because Colston and Evans are due huge paydays.

He's probably right I mean if Javon Walker can get 16 million bonus money and 55 million why not Colston? And Evans is a lot younger than Faneca who got 21 million guarenteed.

The link is here: http://hakimdropstheball.blogspot.com/

He's probably right... we need to make sure we can sign both these kids back. They are a key on our offense. Did he mention anything about Smith?

I think that was a given, if Berrian can command 5 years 25 mill, what can a top 5 WR who was previously earning 200k and knows his team's pass heavy offense is screwed without him?
Evans too I think is top 5 at his position, if we can't get something sorted out we should tag either.
Smith too will need a deal, but I think we should see what he does this year and make it clear to him that McCray has made him expendable, and if he doesn't keep up his play he will not get his massive deal from us.
I think we played it very smart, we got potentially great players who are still very young for bargains compared to what other players at their position are commanding.

That's what I've been saying all along to posters screaming about the FO not breaking the bank to sign Samuel or Briggs: if the Saints spend all their cap money now, they basically guarantee losing Colston, Evans, Smith, etc. come the next offseason. This is common sense economics.

EDIT: And we don't want to be like the Jets who paid big dollars for some sexy free agents while letting go of some serious contributers who were their own vets. That's a sure recipe for discontentment on your team.

I think thats pretty obvious....(not a knock on you, thanx for bringing this up) we put more value (on this board) in who we bring in and not who we keep, but thats understandable, a new face brings new hope...but the kinda money Colston, Evans and Smith will garner may not be top 5 at there positions, but they will all probalby get top 15 money, thats over 30mill for all three and probably 10-20mill in guarantee money....I think we will be surprised at the contracts Evans and Smith get, because I think though they have earned it, there not the type of players who wanna be recognized for being the paid the top of there position, but much rather get what they are worth in addition to being paid for there performance....I think you can pencil in Smith as that sort of player to, but since Grant got his money and he is more of a pass rush threat than Grant is, I think you have to give him simular money, you dont have to pay him more (60mill is alot already)

Its going to be really hard to sign all three, hopefully the FO can pull it off. If not someone is getting tagged now be the next year. They might not be the best at their positions but all top 5 or 10 at thier position. also all are really young. Just look how some teams broke the bank on second rate player this year.

Sign em now, b/c once they make the pro-bowl, which both should have either of the past two years, that salary will go even higher. Keep your core players. If we can resign both of them this year, we might still have a chance at Will Smith, whom I think wants to test the free agent market next year.

Anyone know how much cap space we have right now? And how much we our rookie cap will need to be?

What! Your kidding right?!!

4th round draft pick who has only been a starter since he got here!

You're comparing him to Faneca who has done alot more than just start. Moreover I doubt we're about to give Evans a mega-contract this year. I disagree that we're saving money to sign these guys to big deals.

I'm not saying we should be throwing silly money in the open market. But the reason is not to sign Evans to cap busting contract.

Isn't the up coming season the final season that both J. Stinchcomb and Jamaal Brown are under contract as well?

Next offseason, if things stay as they are right now... Will Smith, Marques Colston, Jahri Evans, Stinchcomb, and Jamaal Brown are all going to be UFAs?

Yeah, we better start saving some money... or getting some of these guys locked up long-term now.

What about Mike Karney... when's his deal done? This is going to be Hollis' last year too right? ...and Bullocks (not that he's a must to re-sign)...

Isn't the up coming season the final season that both J. Stinchcomb and Jamaal Brown are under contract as well?

Next offseason, if things stay as they are right now... Will Smith, Marques Colston, Jahri Evans, Stinchcomb, and Jamaal Brown are all going to be UFAs?

Yeah, we better start saving some money... or getting some of these guys locked up long-term now.

What about Mike Karney... when's his deal done? This is going to be Hollis' last year too right? ...and Bullocks (not that he's a must to re-sign)...

According to KFFL Free-Agent Tracker here are next years FAs....

New Orleans Saints

piece of work Player Name FA Status Previous Team Current Team
RB Jamaal Branch RFA New Orleans Saints
RB Aaron Stecker UFA New Orleans Saints
WR Marques Colston RFA New Orleans Saints
WR Devery Henderson UFA New Orleans Saints
WR Lance Moore UFA New Orleans Saints
TE Mark Campbell UFA New Orleans Saints
TE Ronnie Ghent RFA New Orleans Saints
OT Jon Stinchcomb UFA New Orleans Saints
OL Jahri Evans RFA New Orleans Saints
OL Zach Strief RFA New Orleans Saints
DL McKinley Boykin RFA New Orleans Saints
DL Orien Harris RFA New Orleans Saints
DL Antwan Lake UFA New Orleans Saints
LB Troy Evans UFA New Orleans Saints
LB Marvin Mitchell RFA New Orleans Saints
LB Jonathan Vilma UFA New Orleans Saints
CB Jason Craft UFA New Orleans Saints
SS Chris Reis RFA New Orleans Saints

Colston and Evans are both RFAs... that pretty much means they aren't going anywhere. Will Smith isn't listed though... He must have a voidable year after next year.

According to KFFL Free-Agent Tracker here are next years FAs....

New Orleans Saints

piece of work Player Name FA Status Previous Team Current Team
RB Jamaal Branch RFA New Orleans Saints
RB Aaron Stecker UFA New Orleans Saints
WR Marques Colston RFA New Orleans Saints
WR Devery Henderson UFA New Orleans Saints
WR Lance Moore UFA New Orleans Saints
TE Mark Campbell UFA New Orleans Saints
TE Ronnie Ghent RFA New Orleans Saints
OT Jon Stinchcomb UFA New Orleans Saints
OL Jahri Evans RFA New Orleans Saints
OL Zach Strief RFA New Orleans Saints
DL McKinley Boykin RFA New Orleans Saints
DL Orien Harris RFA New Orleans Saints
DL Antwan Lake UFA New Orleans Saints
LB Troy Evans UFA New Orleans Saints
LB Marvin Mitchell RFA New Orleans Saints
LB Jonathan Vilma UFA New Orleans Saints
CB Jason Craft UFA New Orleans Saints
SS Chris Reis RFA New Orleans Saints

Colston and Evans are both RFAs... that pretty much means they aren't going anywhere. Will Smith isn't listed though... He must have a voidable year after next year.

The only ones I am concerned with for next year are:

Vilma....if he proves he can come back to form
T. Evans....tender him for the minimum
A. Lake....tender him for the minimum
M. Colston.....pay him this year, so we have more in cap space next year
J. Evans....Pay him this year, so he have the extra cash next year....front load his contract if there is anyway possible.

Aside from that, I wouldn't be too upset to see the rest of them walk.

this was my favorite part of the article, and something I honestly believe when paying big money for players.....

"Teams are always better off spending the big money to keep their own players, just ask the Colts."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom