Saints @ Seahawks - What to look for... (1 Viewer)

goboilers

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
NFL Week 13 schedule features Broncos-Chiefs, Rams-49ers, Titans-Colts | The MMQB with Peter King

The Saints will make it a chess match early on, likely using 15 different formations or personnel packages on their first 15 scripted plays. Coach Sean Payton and Drew Brees scheme variety early in the game to intellectually bombard the opponent—and to get a feel for how the defense plans to attack different concepts.

This isn’t to say the Saints are done. Their pass rush continues to improve, as Cameron Jordan and Junior Galette become more vigorous each week. And their run defense, which will be key against Seattle, is solid, with the potential to be spectacular depending on how rookie nose tackle John Jenkins performs next to thundering young enforcer Akiem Hicks. Both 330-or-so-pounders have just enough lateral quickness to beat Seattle’s zone blockers to outside run gaps. If they can do that, linebackers David Hawthorne and Curtis Lofton can race to the perimeter and have a chance to contain running back Marshawn Lynch.
================
Some snippets from ESPN:

“Let’s just take this year in the NFL, for example. The Patriots, where did their three losses come? On the road. Denver, where have their two losses come? On the road. Seattle, where did their one loss come? On the road. I mean, every team that is kinda at the top,” Brees said Thursday. “So if you asked all them, is there an advantage to playing at home? Yes, absolutely. … It is certainly more difficult to go on the road and win, especially in the type of environment that we’re going to. We understand those challenges. …
(Brees is such a smart guy. No wonder given his Purdue education!)

As for their inconsistent performance on the road this year, Saints safety Malcolm Jenkins said, “I don’t think we feel the need to explain it. You know, it is what it is. It’s hard to win, period, in the league. Especially on the road.”

Cold, crowd add to Saints' challenges - New Orleans Saints Blog - ESPN

Facts:
1. Its going to be an away game
2. Its going to be a game against a tough team
3. Its going to be cold
4. We have a very good offense
5. We have a very good defense which is a change from prior years
6. We definitely have the ability to win this game.

Can't wait for Tuesday Morning (India)! Who Dat!

Seahawks-Saints: Just the facts | Seahawks Blog | Seattle Times

Seahawks-Saints: Just the facts
Posted by Bob Condotta
Here is the weekly fact box on the Seattle-New Orleans game from the NFL:

MONDAY NIGHT, DECEMBER 2, 2013

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS (9-2) AT SEATTLE SEAHAWKS (10-1)

SERIES

SAINTS SEAHAWKS
SERIES LEADER 6-5
STREAKS Past 2
COACHES VS. OPP. Payton: 2-1 Carroll: 2-1
LAST WEEK W 17-13 at Falcons Bye (Wk. 11: W 41-20 vs. Vikings)
LAST GAME 11/21/10: Seahawks 19 at Saints 34. New Orleans QB Drew Brews passes for 382 yards & 4 TDs, including 2 each to WR Marques Colston & WR Robert Meachem.
LAST GAME AT SITE 10/14/07: Saints 28, Seahawks 17. New Orleans RB Pierre Thomas scores on 5-yard FR-TD & WR Lance Moore rushes for TD. Saints QB Drew Brees passes for 2 TDs.
BROADCAST ESPN (5:40 PM PT): Mike Tirico, Jon Gruden, Lisa Salters (Field reporter). Westwood One: Kevin Harlan, Dan Fouts, Darren Sharper (Field reporter). SIRIUS: 88 (WW1), 92 (NO), 86 (Sea.). XM: 88 (WW1), 225 (NO), 86 (Sea.).
STATS

PASSING Brees: 300-439-3,647 (1C)-28 (1C)-8-107.3 (3C) Wilson: 176-275-2,362-19-6-105.1
RUSHING Thomas: 117-486-4.2-1 Lynch: 208-925-4.4-9 (T2L)
RECEIVING Graham (TE): 65-946-14.6-11 (T1L) Tate: 42-600-14.3-4
OFFENSE 415.0 (3L) 358.5
TAKE/GIVE +4 +11 (T1C)
DEFENSE 309.9 (3C) 293.3 (1C)
SACKS Jordan: 9.5 (2C) Avril, Bennett: 6.5
INTs Lewis: 3 Sherman, Thomas: 4 (T3C)
PUNTING Morstead: 46.8 Ryan: 43.4
KICKING Hartley: 95 (3C) (35/35 PAT; 20/26 FG) Hauschka: 104 (T1C) (32/32 PAT; 24/25 FG)
NOTES

SAINTS: QB DREW BREES has won past 9 on MNF, completing 224 of 312 (71.8 pct.) for 2,880 yards (320 per game) with 28 TDs vs. 5 INTs for 123.6 rating. In 3 games vs. Sea. with NO (incl. 2010 WC), has passed for 1,032 yards (344 per game), 8 TDs, 2 INTs & 102 rating. Since joining NO in 2006, leads NFL with 37,218 yards & 272 TDs…RB PIERRE THOMAS has 8 TDs (6 rush, 2 rec.) in past 9 on MNF. Since 2011, RB DARREN SPROLES leads NFL RBs with 209 catches, 1,840 rec. yards & 16 rec. TDs…TE JIMMY GRAHAM has 6 100-yard games, tied for most in season by TE in NFL history. Aims for 6th in row on MNF with TD. Since 2011 (incl. playoffs), leads NFL TEs with 261 catches & 3,396 yards. Ties for 1st with 34 TDs. WR MARQUES COLSTON has 7 TDs in past 10 on MNF. Rookie WR KENNY STILLS has 4 TDs in past 6…DE CAMERON JORDAN has 9.5 sacks in past 10…SEAHAWKS: Are 10-1 for 1st time…QB RUSSELL WILSON is 2-0 on MNF with 107.7 rating. Is 13-0 in career at home with 26 TDs, 6 INTs & 117 rating. Had career-high 151.4 rating in Week 11…RB MARSHAWN LYNCH had 3 TDs (2 rush, 1 rec.) in Week 11. Since Nov. 2011, leads NFL with 3,456 rush yards & 29 rush TDs. Rushed for 131 yards & 67-yard TD in WC…WR-PR GOLDEN TATE has 4 TDs in past 2 on MNF. Is only player in NFL with 600+ rec. (600) & 400+ PR (401) yards…Team has 16 INTs, tied for most in NFL. Since entering NFL in 2011, CB RICHARD SHERMAN leads NFL with 16 INTs. In past 9 at home, has 7 INTs, FF, FR & scored 2 TDs (INT & blocked FG return). S EARL THOMAS is only NFL player with 70+ tackles (75), 4+ INTs (4) & 2+ FFs (2). Since 2011, DE CLIFF AVRIL is 1 of 3 in NFL with 25+ sacks (27) & 10+ FF (11). Has 4.5 sacks in past 5. LB BRUCE IRVIN has 3 sacks, INT & FF in past 2 on MNF. DE CHRIS CLEMONS has 6 sacks in past 4 on MNF.

One of the big questions for Monday’s Seattle-New Orleans game is how well third-year player Byron Maxwell can replace suspended cornerback Walter Thurmond.

According to Pro Football Focus, Thurmond has given up just 0.82 yards per cover snap this year, eighth best in the NFL, and a number that beats the 0.94 that Richard Sherman has given up. Quarterbacks have a 66.6 passer rating when throwing at Thurmond and 67.0 at Sherman.

Bob Condotta

Seahawks stat geek: How well can Byron Maxwell step in for Walter Thurmond? | Seahawks | The Seattle Times

Five Question, Five Answers: Saints | Seahawks Blog | Seattle Times

Q2: Drew Brees seems like he’s as good as ever. Any change to his game this season or just more of the same?

A: If possible, I think Brees might be a tad underrated these days. He’s widely considered one of the elite quarterbacks in the league but he’s never won an MVP and likely won’t win it again this year, even though he’s clearly deserving.

Now would be as good a time as any for Seattle to feature Harvin. Jabari Greer’s season-ending leg injury could prove deflating for this soaring Saints defense. To replace Greer, slot corner Corey White moved outside but doesn’t seem to have brought his confidence with him. Playing corner inside now will be safeties Malcolm Jenkins and Kenny Vaccaro, which isn’t new. But it’s a necessity instead of a a luxury. Overall, this is a less reliable Saints secondary, which could mean a less dimensional Rob Ryan scheme.

From the MMQB link in the OP.

Corey White's confidence doesn't seem to be an issue. I was worried that after he fumbled that pick 6 for a touchback that he would implode and he didn't. He may not be as well-versed as Greer, but he is definitely bigger and more physical. This kid was just coming on last year in the craptacular Spags defense when he got injured, and played well when his number was called this year before Greer got injured (he tackles like it's something he enjoys doing) and now that he's moved to the outside as the "#2 corner" and has been practicing and preparing for this role, I think he may make some plays that nobody expects him to make. He will still be the corner to pick on because throwing Lewis's way just isn't a good idea, but as long as he isn't making mental mistakes and blowing coverages and tackles the receiver, limiting YAC, then I think we'll be fine.

Mumbai (Bombay), Maharashtra.

Cool, cool. I know many people in Bombay, Delhi, Punjab and some who are still making it happen in Kashmir. My girlfriend's (or is she my ex at this point...IDK?) from Inida, born in Punjab. Her mom is heading to Bombay on December 1. I'm still yet to make the trip but it is tops on my list for international travel.

From the MMQB link in the OP.

Corey White's confidence doesn't seem to be an issue. I was worried that after he fumbled that pick 6 for a touchback that he would implode and he didn't. He may not be as well-versed as Greer, but he is definitely bigger and more physical. This kid was just coming on last year in the craptacular Spags defense when he got injured, and played well when his number was called this year before Greer got injured (he tackles like it's something he enjoys doing) and now that he's moved to the outside as the "#2 corner" and has been practicing and preparing for this role, I think he may make some plays that nobody expects him to make. He will still be the corner to pick on because throwing Lewis's way just isn't a good idea, but as long as he isn't making mental mistakes and blowing coverages and tackles the receiver, limiting YAC, then I think we'll be fine.

I think Corey White might be able to pull of an interception this game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom