"Saints see Brees as more than prolific" - Yahoo sports (1 Viewer)

I was 7 when I saw my 1st Saints game. I do remember the Philly/Saints playoff game but I was young. I didn't get to see Archie play, so in my eyes, Drew Brees is the best Saints QB ever! Sorry.

Move over Archie.....As a Saint fan since the beginning of this franchise, Archie has always been my favorite player. I guess its time to put Drew right up there next to him.
:plus-un2:

I mean this with no disrespect to Archie, because he has always been one of my favorites as well.

But Brees in his short time in New Orleans has shown himself to be one of the classiest guys to ever put on a Saints uniform as well as one of the most talented. And you could easily say "THE MOST" instead of "one of the most" about both.

Archie will always remain one of my favorites... but Brees is THE man!!

Great article.

In an NFL where all we hear about is the negatives surrounding players who've had run-ins with the law, attitude problems, and the selfishness, it is quite refreshing to hear about the Drew Brees of the NFL. There are many players who off the field contribute more to their communities and New Orleans is fortunate to have him.

I've had the pleasure of watching both Archie and Drew.

Archie has been the face of the franchise for several years. He was an incredibly gifted athlete playing for teams that were downright abysmal at times. Early in his career, Archie was constantly running for his life in the backfield because the offensive line was overmatched and he didn't have a supporting cast of offensive weapons. The best comparison I can make is a more mobile David Carr when he first came into the league as a Texan. He did finally get some weapons in the late 70s with Chuck Muncie, Tony Galbreath, Henry Childs, and Wes Chandler and he won the NFC Player of the Year award in 1978. Archie never complained about playing on those crappy teams. In a way, he became a fan favorite because he understood the passion that Saints fans had (and have) for the team and he embraced it and cultivated it. Archie was a critical piece of the franchise when the cupboards were bare.

There are some parallels between Archie and Drew. Drew came to the team after Katrina and helped to re-energize the fan base. He became the leader of the team, and subsequently, the face of the franchise, at a time when the team and the city needed it most. Drew has admitted publicly that he was grateful for the risk that the Saints took in signing him and he has worked incredibly hard to reward the organization by mastering his skills, and that work is paying off as evidenced by the incredible stats that he's compiling.

The bottom line is that both of these guys are incredible men that have done great things for the team and New Orleans. That said, Drew's "quarterback" skills are much better than Archie's, so he truly is the best Saints QB in history; however, that does not diminish Archie's impact, nor should it diminish his place team history.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom