Saints select TE Adam Trautman in the 3rd (1 Viewer)

The lack of top end speed worries me a little bit, but his agility and burst is off the charts for a guy his size. And he seems to have great hands. He’ll be fun to watch in the red zone.
How often does a TE get in a track meet to the endzone? Top end speed is no biggie with a TE to me. You can run a 4.3 40 but if you cant seperate then what good does it do you?

I'm not going to lie... I really wanted another WR in this draft pretty high... but after looking at this guy, and doing my homework (I knew very little about him)... I think we have our next big receiving option now...

He looks like a carbon copy of Zach Ertz to me... It's real easy to see what Sean wants to do with, and sees in this guy.

I feel much better about this pick now.

Last edited:
He doesn’t have Shockey or Graham speed but he’s got Witten size speed athletic ability and quickness/intelligence. That’s his ceiling.
Can't be disappointed if we end up with a Witten clone. But, man I wish another Shockey would appear.

I'm just glad we have a receiving tight end that can actually block. You can probably count on one, maybe two hands the amount of pass catchers who could actually block their way out of a paper bag. That will make the offense less predictable based on personnel and more effective.

Can't be disappointed if we end up with a Witten clone. But, man I wish another Shockey would appear.

Not understanding here....Witten is far superior to Shockey in every conceivable way, in fact, I think he is the best TE ever to play the game (great receiving TE who was a good run blocker as well).....

I'm not going to lie... I really wanted another WR in this draft pretty high... but after looking at this guy, and doing my homework (not gonna lie I knew very little about him)... I think we have our next big receiving option now...

He looks like a carbon copy of Zach Ertz to me... It's real easy to see what Sean wants to do with, and sees in this guy.

I feel much better about this pick now.

Do you get accused of lying a lot?

Unless youre a speed based WR or an undersized CB, speed is the single most overrated trait in the NFL. And lets be real, 4.8 isnt slow for a lanky built 6'5 260 pound TE. I mean, just look at Trautman's film, more specifically, the Senior Bowl. TEs arent usually guys you send deep any ways. Sure the luxury of having speed at the position would be cool, but it isnt like he's slow. TEs do most of their damage in the seams, in the short/intermediate areas of the field, 3rd downs and in the Redzone. Pretty much the the downs and distances where sub 4.8 speed is meaningless. This is where the 6.78 3 Cone comes in to play. So what if Trautman isnt exactly a gamebreaking downfield threat. This dude will consistently bite off 8-15 yard chunks, move chains, and make teams wet themselves w/worry in the Redzone.

Unless youre a speed based WR or an undersized CB, speed is the single most overrated trait in the NFL. And lets be real, 4.8 isnt slow for a lanky built 6'5 260 pound TE. I mean, just look at Trautman's film, more specifically, the Senior Bowl. TEs arent usually guys you send deep any ways. Sure the luxury of having speed at the position would be cool, but it isnt like he's slow. TEs do most of their damage in the seams, in the short/intermediate areas of the field, 3rd downs and in the Redzone. Pretty much the the downs and distances where sub 4.8 speed is meaningless. This is where the 6.78 3 Cone comes in to play. So what if Trautman isnt exactly a gamebreaking downfield threat. This dude will consistently bite off 8-15 yard chunks, move chains, and make teams wet themselves w/worry in the Redzone.

Trautman is a complete TE, short sighted people complain about his speed when the most productive TE's are 4.7 guys.

Dont come over here with your logical coherent helpful football knowledge. I wanted that 6,8 receiver who ran a 4.178 and 90 inch vertical in the 7th round. Hes not there but i know he exist.

Jokes aside good post

This. I agree wholeheartedly.

For those of you who don't think this guy can make an impact this year, I'll remind you of a certain project player we drafted in 2010 who was "raw" and "one dimensional".

I really think this guy will thrive in this offense, not necessarily from a productivity (yardage) standpoint, but overall impact and presence on the field. I really think we'll see a lot of 2TE sets this year -especially in the 2min offense and in Taysoms' packages.

This was a really, really great pick for us.

Trautman is a complete TE, short sighted people complain about his speed when the most productive TE's are 4.7 guys.

A 6-5" 250# athlete's top speed is no joke. In the 40, their first 20 yards can look meh or worse, but their speed as they cross the finish line can be impressive. Hayden Hurst holds the speed record for the Ravens at 20.5mph. Not many can catch him at that speed if he has 1-2 steps on them.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom