Saints shake up coaching staff (1 Viewer)

muzzy

Explosive
Reaction score
Saints shake up coaching staff

WWL.com Reporting

Two assistant coaches on Sean Payton's staff with the Saints are out, while a third assistant rumored to be leaving New Orleans will stay on the staff, according to team sources.

Team officials announced Monday that special teams coordinator John Bonamego is leaving to take the same position with the Miami Dolphins. He will be replaced on the Saints staff by Greg McMahon, the former assistant special teams coordinator with the Saints under Bonamego.

Also Monday, the Saints announced that secondary coach Tom Hayes is out. He's being replaced by former Saints defensive line assistant Dennis Allen. A team press release did not give a reason for Hayes' departure.

Team sources also told WWL First News Monday that quarterbacks coach Pete Carmichael is staying with the Saints.

http://wwl.com/Saints-shake-up-coaching-staff/1553481

Official announcement: http://www.neworleanssaints.com/Articles/2008/1/Saints Promote Two On Coaching Staff.aspx

Last edited:
I hope that's true about Carmichael. Brees has made it known to the team that he wants Carmichael to stay with the Saints, and there are reports that management was going to sit down with Carmichael to see what could be done.

Saints shake up coaching staff

WWL.com Reporting

Two assistant coaches on Sean Payton's staff with the Saints are out, while a third assistant rumored to be leaving New Orleans will stay on the staff, according to team sources.

Team officials announced Monday that special teams coordinator John Bonamego is leaving to take the same position with the Miami Dolphins. He will be replaced on the Saints staff Greg McMahon, the former assistant special teams coordinator with the Saints under Bonamego.

Also Monday, the Saints announced that secondary coach Tom Hayes is out. He's being replaced by former Saints defensive line assistant Dennis Allen. A team press release did not give a reason for Hayes' departure.

http://wwl.com/Saints-shake-up-coaching-staff/1553481

Official announcement: http://www.neworleanssaints.com/Articles/2008/1/Saints Promote Two On Coaching Staff.aspx

I guess WWL also gave up on proofreading.

Thanks for the link, by the way.

yeah, losing our secondary coach doesn't seem like much of a loss. Maybe this guy will have the balls to go out and slap Jason David upside the head when he sneaks a peak in the backfield letting the WR run free.

Any news on Gibbs??

just checking.....

replacing a secondary coach with a d-line coach?

isn't that like hiring an electrician to put on a roof?

I know he played safety in college but he was coaching D-line since joining the college ranks and should have stayed there or been an assistant secondary coach. I just don't have a warm and fuzzy about a coach who has been coaching dline here and in Atlanta to all of a sudden fix the glaring issues in the secondary.

I know he played safety in college but he was coaching D-line since joining the college ranks and should have stayed there or been an assistant secondary coach. I just don't have a warm and fuzzy about a coach who has been coaching dline here and in Atlanta to all of a sudden fix the glaring issues in the secondary.

I was thinking the same thing... but hey... what do I know...

I am ok with the move after reading this. This is a position coach and he was a pretty good Safety at Texas AM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Allen_(American_football)

There will most likely be more moves before this defense settles down. Promoting from within is not necessarily a bad thing for these position coaches. Face it we are only a defense away from being the best in the NFC and I am glad to see thing shaking loose. I think we can get good on defense in one year if they commit to doing it and not worry about Gibbs feelings. I think he has to go even though I am sure he is a nice guy. I would love for Monty Kiffen to come back to NO but I think he just reupped at Tampa right? After that some of you guys like Greg Williams if would be a coordinator. I think some players should go as well. I would try and package Will Smith maybe and get that SC DT. Smith does not fit the Ogegron (sp?) mold to me (too big and slow). Could he slim down? I don't know. Am I crazy for trying to deal Smith? Maybe.

So lets see we have so far on the coaching scene.

A new DL coach where the guy who left went to Duke.
A new secondary coach by this guy Dennis Allen.

A new ST coach where our guy went to the Dolphins where I think we underachieved. The guy taking the job was the assistant. I hope he can really make this group shine. They were a big let down last year.

We KEEP our QB coach Carmichael. (Biggest coaching move yet I think).

We still need a DC.

Whatever we do we need to find a defense to go with this offense for next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Possible connections with the new position switches? DB coach was with Atlanta, we could use a couple of those folks. We needed some juice on the D staff and with Eddie O, new ST coordinator and DB coach, we can use all the help we can get. Now, who replaces them? We we see some old faces (meaning ex Saints) as assistants to the front line staff? Where's Willie Whitehead now? Is the RB coach going anywhere as was previously rumored?

Lot's of questions remain folks. It just adds to the excitement of the off?season. Any predictions Spam? Was that guy from Black & Gold that was quoted on here on any of this stuff?

Well...

Thats not quite what the article says. It just says that Hayes is "out". Specifically mentions that the press release gives no reason for his departure.

You're right, I just re-read it.

At any rate, no crocodile tears for me that our secondary coach is "out". :ezbill:

Possible connections with the new position switches? DB coach was with Atlanta, we could use a couple of those folks. We needed some juice on the D staff and with Eddie O, new ST coordinator and DB coach, we can use all the help we can get. Now, who replaces them? We we see some old faces (meaning ex Saints) as assistants to the front line staff? Where's Willie Whitehead now? Is the RB coach going anywhere as was previously rumored?

Lot's of questions remain folks. It just adds to the excitement of the off?season. Any predictions Spam? Was that guy from Black & Gold that was quoted on here on any of this stuff?

hmm, nice catch on the possible Atlanta angle for Hall (right?). I like it.

Hadn't heard or had forgot about the RB coach rumor. That is all because of the failure to get RB untracked I guess. PT erased that abit I think.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom