Analysis Saints Shortcomings at Receiver Hampering Offense (1 Viewer)

I disagree on Harris. I do believe Payton will keep drawing up plays for him, specifically deep routes. Payton himself said he was going to continue to get him more involved. I see no reason to believe otherwise, as he's the fastest receiver on the team. Still, yes, he's a depth piece, and comparing his spot on the depth chart, it's hard to knock him when looking at other teams 3rd or 4th receivers. Specifically when Thomas comes back, I think defenses will have a tough time defending he, Callaway, and Kamara, with Harris running deep towards the end zone.
I’m not saying he can’t get there, just that it remains to be seen if he will be able to do enough things to deserve consideration in our top 3 for playing time long term. I would love to see someone do a film study of his route running and how he handles things like getting off the LOS in press.

I’m not saying he can’t get there, just that it remains to be seen if he will be able to do enough things to deserve consideration in our top 3 for playing time long term. I would love to see someone do a film study of his route running and how he handles things like getting off the LOS in press.
I agree. I think we just need to see more from him as the season goes along. Right now, we're using him as one of our top 3, but going in, I don't think we expected to, so it's hard to fault him for that. I'm no expert, but I know his speed and effectiveness in space cannot be taught. I think even just the threat of him going deep will have to be something defenses account for, which will greatly help the other guys when we have everyone back. How much he actually grows into his position remains to be seen, so I agree with you there.

I tend to disagree, our only problem against Carolina was not having our starting center and offensive line coaches.

The WR corps they're so quick to denigrate looked just fine against GB.
The WR corps did not look fine against GB. Other than the garbage time bomb from Harris, the WR group combined for 4 catches for 46 yards. Add Harris’ bomb and you get 5 for 101.

Most of the #1 WR in the league average more than that by themselves.

The Saints passing offense is dead last in the league right now. The lowly Jets are 70 yards a game better after two games.

When you neglect the WR in every draft since MT, this is what you have. I had to look when to see when TQS was drafted. That’s how much of an impact he’s been, 2018 3rd round that can’t stay on the field. We have undrafted and fringe players starting. The team even made a conscious decision to not retain sanders after last season. You just can’t find that many diamonds in the rough with our WR corps we have. God, I have no idea why stills isn’t on the active roster at this point.

The WR corps did not look fine against GB. Other than the garbage time bomb from Harris, the WR group combined for 4 catches for 46 yards. Add Harris’ bomb and you get 5 for 101.

Most of the #1 WR in the league average more than that by themselves.

The Saints passing offense is dead last in the league right now. The lowly Jets are 70 yards a game better after two games.

Keeping in mind we only threw 19 passes and completed 13. It was a heavy run game because we were running all over them.

That doesn’t mean the WRs were fine, it means they weren’t tested.

And it doesn't mean they weren't fine either. Callaway was our leading receiver in our first game against the Panthers last year. Caught 8 balls.

…I also hope our offensive line play last week was an anomaly (and I think it was), getting McCoy back sooner rather than later would help....
McCoy is legitimately one of the best Centers in the entire NFL, and he is still getting better! Losing him is HUGE, and that’s not hyperbole.

Not only did they lose McCoy, but they replaced him with a guy that has been training at RG, hasn’t been making the OL calls pre-snap, and he didn’t have the OL coach available during pre-game prep or on the sidelines for in-game adjustments! It was bound to be a disaster!

Name 5 current Centers in the NFL that are better than McCoy RIGHT NOW… and like I said, McCoy is still getting better. His absence can’t be understated.

That doesn’t mean the WRs were fine, it means they weren’t tested.
True.

And it doesn't mean they weren't fine either.
True.

We need to see better o-line play and a larger sample size before we panic over the receivers. It takes time for guys to get on the same page, especially when there's a new QB. And also, teams missing their #1 star receiver usually struggle more than most. That said, I do feel like this is one of the weaker groups on the team, but it should get much better as the season goes along and we get a few guys back.

True.

True.

We need to see better o-line play and a larger sample size before we panic over the receivers. It takes time for guys to get on the same page, especially when there's a new QB. And also, teams missing their #1 star receiver usually struggle more than most. That said, I do feel like this is one of the weaker groups on the team, but it should get much better as the season goes along and we get a few guys back.
Right, you cant evaluate the receivers ability to get separation if the QB is getting hit by the time he reaches his dropback point.

Probably through the first 2 games one of the worst WR sets in recent nfl history. I’ll admit I tried to be positive in camp but dang. They just dont

McCoy is legitimately one of the best Centers in the entire NFL, and he is still getting better! Losing him is HUGE, and that’s not hyperbole.

Not only did they lose McCoy, but they replaced him with a guy that has been training at RG, hasn’t been making the OL calls pre-snap, and he didn’t have the OL coach available during pre-game prep or on the sidelines for in-game adjustments! It was bound to be a disaster!

Name 5 current Centers in the NFL that are better than McCoy RIGHT NOW… and like I said, McCoy is still getting better. His absence can’t be understated.

I totally agree with above....

When you neglect the WR in every draft since MT, this is what you have. I had to look when to see when TQS was drafted. That’s how much of an impact he’s been, 2018 3rd round that can’t stay on the field. We have undrafted and fringe players starting. The team even made a conscious decision to not retain sanders after last season. You just can’t find that many diamonds in the rough with our WR corps we have. God, I have no idea why stills isn’t on the active roster at this point.
Let's be honest, nobody (when MT was drafted) knew he would turn out to be the type of player he turned out to be, Thomas was a 2nd round pick and TQS was a 3rd so the position WAS invested in and we do have a pretty good track record of getting production out of lower drafted or UDFA WR and RB's so developing players like Calloway, Harris and LJH is not exactly a shot in the dark hoping they turn out to be players considering the production of players like Colston, Henderson, Moore and Graham in this offense.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom