Saints should consider shutting down Armstead for the year (1 Viewer)

spflash

Rookie
Reaction score
Before anyone thinks this is a thread trying to be negatively on a day that we win, trust me its not..if anything todays game was a mirror image of the game that Minnesota had to play over a week ago vs Chicago, aka playing a team thats been struggling on their home turf...so they have nothing to lose, which makes them more dangerous that one would think. But unlike the Vikings, the Saints actually lived up to the billing and pulled out a win against such opponent.

With that said, despite Armstead's absence, the O-line played like they have played most of the 1st half of the season so far...which is above-average if not stellar...this despite the fact that they havent had the services of Armstead for most of that time period. Anyone that follows this team can see that Armstead is nowhere near 100% health, if anything it seems the more he play the more he hurts his availability b/c of recurring injuries...my question is basically what the thread is titled, shouldnt the Saints seriously considering basically sitting him out the rest of the year? Not only b/c hes clearly and obviously farther away from being healthy then they realized, but also b/c somehow, someway the O-line is getting the job done w/o him? Remember, he will be here post-Drew Brees era, and they have invested a ton of money in him, this is something the Saints should ponder imo...i know they are basically gearing for a playoff push now they have evened the record at 4-4, but at the same time, im starting to get the feeling sooner or later he may endure a long-term injury if this keeps up. Sit the young man and let him be 100% for next season and the ones going forward is what i think, but im curious what you guys think.

I wasnt even aware he did not play, and that would be a great thing if that were the case

I agree that it's almost pointless to give him 1st team reps every week and then he doesn't make it out of the first half before he's shut down for the game. This has happened numerous times. Again, he's the best o lineman we have, by far, when healthy but he's clearly struggling to edge past this leg injury.

But, much like Ellerbe, the coaching staff are more comfortable taking their chances that he "heals up" for a late season run. So I just don't see them shutting him down at this point.

I wasnt even aware he did not play, and that would be a great thing if that were the case

That is a great thing and thats my poiunt, but also you gotta remember, they are paying him like a franchise left tackle...and these injuries that are starting to mount on him are gonna overwhelm him sooner or later, since like you pointed out, you didnt even notice him not playing, imo the Saints really dont have much to lose.

SP/ML are not going to press him into the line-up if they thought there was a chance of significant damage
some injuries you can play through and it's just a matter of pain management

Should have rested him today, especially with how well Peat is playing at left tackle.

I think they said he left for the locker room after the first qtr

Should have rested him today, especially with how well Peat is playing at left tackle.

MY sentiments exactly. That and 49ers did not have a threatening edge rush. Ended up leaving the game early with a "leg injury"

The old saying no news is good news. Never heard Peats name all day. That's a good day for o-lineman!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, rest him up and get him ready for a playoff run, if we look like we are going to make a run then imagine having him come in healthy for the last couple games of the season + playoffs. Huge boost.

Its the 49ers we faced.I Don't think we are really that good without Amsted when playing against a real defense.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom