Saints should go Offense with the first pick (1 Viewer)

I'm going to use a post I made in another thread to form the basis of my argument as to why I hope Tavon Austin is on the board - because I do hope he's there... But not because I want to draft him.

I really hope Tavon Austin is on the board when we pick because I think he's been dramatically overhyped in the run up to the draft thanks, in part, to the lack of any elite WR in this draft. If Austin is there at #15, I would love to see the Saints trade back with a team like the Rams or the Vikes - who really want him - to acquire at least a second round selection in addition to their later 1st round pick so we have more opportunities to strengthen this roster, rather than draft a player who I don't think can possibly provide 'value' for whichever team takes him in the top half of the first round.

Honestly I don't think he's a terrible player. Someone else made the DeSean Jackson comparison which I think is a good one. But Jackson was the 49th pick, not the 15th! I think, like Jackson, he'll be electric but he'll get hurt easily and won't ever put up true #1 WR numbers or effect the game like a Julio Jones or A.J. Green.

Jackson's stats for anyone who's interested:

• he's never caught more than 62 balls in a season
  • his season high in yards was 1,156 (4 years ago) and he's been decreasing ever since down to just 700 yards last season
  • he averages less than 5 TDs a season and caught just 2 last year
But despite being a similar player, Austin has been hyped so much that he is probably going to be the most 'sought after' commodity, if he is available at #15 which makes him great trade-bait since I don't believe he will ever justify such a high draft pick. If we drafted Austin I'd feel like we'd snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Again, I'm sure he'll be a decent player - he's just not a need on our team, he's overpriced at #15 and he could unlock the best case scenario (a trade down) for the Saints on Thursday. I know many of you love him - and without all the hype, if he was a second round pick, I'd love him to. But he is not

Agreed completely ! . . .then take the BPA of both those picks, you have to always see who is available on the board to make these choices. The thing I don't like about WR is they take forever to develope, where you can just get a veteran to fill the void. . . especially when you have a Qb like Drew Brees.

Big, fast, skilled defensive players are more rare than offensive players. Unless there is an extremely rare offensive talent at a posiiton of need, it's foolish to pass up a chance to draft a defensive stud.

Big, fast, skilled defensive players are more rare than offensive players. Unless there is an extremely rare offensive talent at a posiiton of need, it's foolish to pass up a chance to draft a defensive stud.

And who is this absolute defensive stud you see being available at 15?

And who is this absolute defensive stud you see being available at 15?

I can't possibly know that until the Saints are on the clock. :scratch:

And I said "defensive stud", not "absolute defensive stud", didn't I?

But,,, there are several possibilities, usually at least 1 or 2 "top 10" players fall to 15.

I can't possibly know that until the Saints are on the clock. :scratch:

And I said "defensive stud", not "absolute defensive stud", didn't I?

But,,, there are several possibilities, usually at least 1 or 2 "top 10" players fall to 15.

I would say Star, Jordan, Floyd, Milliner, and Ansah would be the only can't miss guys at the top of the draft, and they should all be long gone. I'd be happy with any of those guys. I think the next tier of players are very iffy.

Agreed completely ! . . .then take the BPA of both those picks, you have to always see who is available on the board to make these choices. The thing I don't like about WR is they take forever to develope, where you can just get a veteran to fill the void. . . especially when you have a Qb like Drew Brees.

Exaclty-can get a second tier receiver later in draft....and even though Austin is tempting he is a slot guy who will be more of a special teams contributor early and we already have slot wr in Moore who knows the system and a return man in Sproles. I would love if we could dangle #15 to Vikings or someone who needs WR and get to back of first round for a second round pick.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom