Saints should start Jameis over Brees during an 'easy' 4-game stretch - Domonique Foxworth (2 Viewers)

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
Sticky Post
The title got my attention but I went into reading the article with a Very negative attitude. I was surprised and Foxworthy and 4 other jocks brought-up some excellent points. I'll do my best to summarize

1) Foxworthy: Start Winston for the 4-game stretch of 49ers, Falcons, Denver, Falcons
2) Drew has tired each of the last 3-years heading into the playoffs. It would probably help him to have 2-4 games off. And Drew can always come off the bench if necessary
3) The offense needs to have more than 1-player disrupting the opponent defenses: Kamara. Winston would bring the bomb and downfield game back including other players besides Alvin. His point was that defenses will start stacking against Kamara as the season goes on without some changes
4) One of the reporters had a conversation about Brees load with SP during the offseason and asked if SP was going to try and balance Brees load so he is fresh in the offseason. The reporter said it sounded like Payton listened but couldn't tell if he really bought into that idea

Start Winston for 4-Games to Protect Brees Endurance for Playoffs and Open the Offense

St4ever

Hall-of-Famer
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You ACTUALLY think Taysom Hill would get the nod over Jamies Winston if Drew went down for a long period of time? well, I guess we don't have an example of this ever happening so.....
To SP outdoor start Taysom Hill over Winston, yes! He has been told he is he a ju- and is listed as the number 2 QB. What makes you think SP would not do this? He’s been grooming this guy for three years. if it does not work out then he would move on and Taysom would know he’s not an nfl QB.

Reaction score
I find it absolutely hilarious that people were busting on Winston as late as last year for being a dumpster fire, but now they want to replace Brees with him. I'm ready for Brees to retire so the same people can claw their eyes out with a 20's something QB that's not as good as Brees is right now. Next year, when our offense is like 15th in the league in everything, I'm gonna gloat so hard about this.

LifeForceDave

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
There is no easy stretch in the NFL. I don't agree with what Foxworth is saying. The can rest Drew's arm by running the ball. I wouldn't start Winston or Taysom Hill until the Saints are eliminated from playoff contention.
This exactly. Run the damn ball.

NativeFan

Reaction score
Brees' first 5 seasons - 12,348 yards. 80 TD, 53 INT. 1.5 TD- INT ratio.

Winston's first 5 seasons - 19737 yards, 121 TDs, 88 INT. 1.38 TD-INT ratio.
That says it all right there. And he's just 26 years old, and he's sitting right on our bench. People talk about this kid like he's trash or something, I just don't get it.

NativeFan

Reaction score
Because a lot of people on these forums seen how he's won games for the Saints as a Buccaneer.
His Buccanners team sucked, and it's not just the team. The entire culture down there is trash and the front office is a MESS. Tom Brady is finding that out real quick.

Also since you refuse to take my word for it:

Bruce Arians makes good quarterbacks look bad, he just does.

Reaction score
His Buccanners team sucked, and it's not just the team. The entire culture down there is trash and the front office is a MESS. Tom Brady is finding that out real quick.

Also since you refuse to take my word for it:

Bruce Arians makes good quarterbacks look bad, he just does.
I agree that FO is trash, but TB has had a talented team for years. Winston has shown himself to be a headcase himself over the years. I remember when he picked a fight with Lattimore. No way would I trust him over Brees.

NativeFan

Reaction score
I agree that FO is trash, but TB has had a talented team for years. Winston has shown himself to be a headcase himself over the years. I remember when he picked a fight with Lattimore. No way would I trust him over Brees.
Could say something right now but I won't. It's just amazing how guys like Winston and Cam Newton are held to a different standard as quarterbacks for some strange reason...

Que Que 6

Rookie
Reaction score
My problem with this line of though is Taysom Hill is our #2 not Winston. What makes a one think SP would go back on s word to Hil!
LOL. Wait, you are being sarcastic, right? Or did we go back in time to the year 2018 when people actually spoke of such silliness?

Reaction score
Could say something right now but I won't. It's just amazing how guys like Winston and Cam Newton are held to a different standard as quarterbacks for some strange reason...
I wouldn't bench Drew Brees for anyone in the league right now. It's more than likely his last year and he's not playing like sheet. He's not why we're losing. Why risk that on someone untested and unproven in this offense?

As far as any assumptions you may have, I don't think anybody is saying Patrick Mahomes or Lamar Jackson can't ball out.

NativeFan

Reaction score
I wouldn't bench Drew Brees for anyone in the league right now. It's more than likely his last year and he's not playing like sheet. He's not why we're losing. Why risk that on someone untested and unproven in this offense?

As far as any assumptions you may have, I don't think anybody is saying Patrick Mahomes or Lamar Jackson can't ball out.
We're not talking about "benching" Drew Brees right now. But if you wouldn't bench him for "anyone" in the hypothetical then you're a super Brees fan for sure.

Reaction score
We're not talking about "benching" Drew Brees right now. But if you wouldn't bench him for "anyone" in the hypothetical then you're a super Brees fan for sure.
I love Brees. In his last year, as strong of a team leader he's been and how much of a hand he's put into making this offense be what it is? I'd just find it disrespectful to do it. If he was playing like he deserves to be benched? Yeah I'd want him benched. If he was a FA and we had a choice between Brees and a better QB I'd want a better QB. But to flat out bench him? No.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Saint Kamara Saints defense vs Nick Foles Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 21
Marquez Callaway may have surprised some Sunday, but the Saints have been seeing this Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Payton addresses Saints secondary concerns, praises many facets of offense from win over Panthers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints revert Austin Carr, Juwan Johnson and Will Clapp back to the practice squad Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Why did the Saints call a timeout after the break between the 1st and 2nd quarters? Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Once again, Saints game-week preparations include hurricane contingency plans Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints survive, Bucs cruise, Falcons blow lead (again); see where things stand after Week 7 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints' snap counts: A look at usage of receivers, defensive line, secondary in Week 7 win over Panthers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Social media reactions from the Saints 27-24 win over the Panthers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints Week 7: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Beignets and Café au Lait: Saints Remain Undefeated in the Division Saints RSS News Feeds 0
ndcc Saints Which past (year) Saints defense would make our 2020 team scary good? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 9
Fleur-de-Links, October 26: Saints emerge victorious against Carolina Panthers following bye week Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Drew Brees excellent throughout, Marcus Davenport comes up with big sack in New Orleans Saints victory against Panthers SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints' Cam Jordan takes shot at Antonio Brown: 'He's got to get to Week 9' SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette 3 Takeaways from Saints Victory Over Panthers SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Brees' clutch precision lifts Saints past Panthers, 27-24 SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints fans celebrate a win after fans allowed inside dome for the first time this season SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Game recap - New Orleans Saints defeat Carolina Panthers 27-24 SR News Page Articles 0
Dleger 2020 Saints “D” Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 3
CanadianSaint Saints vs Panthers Week 7 2020 GIFs Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 3
How was Saints' 1st game with fans in Superdome? For these lucky Who Dats, it was 'phenomenal' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Teddy Bridgewater's return: From big plays to a seat on Saints' bench; here's how it happened Saints RSS News Feeds 0
How the 1st sack of the season for Saints DE Marcus Davenport changed the game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints show Panthers that there’s no substitute for the real thing Saints RSS News Feeds 0
The Saints navigated a crisis again, and it was evident how they'd do it from the start Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints win down top WRs with 3 a.m. game plan Saints RSS News Feeds 0
How clutch were Saints on 3rd down vs. Panthers? They did something NFL hasn't seen in 3 decades Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Walker: 3,000 fans brought some "juice" to the Dome Sunday, and so did the Saints' offense Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Cam Jordan: Saints knew Joey Slye wouldn’t make 65-yard field goal Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Saints Panthers Postgame Show | Week 7 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Sean Payton Talks Win | Saints-Panthers Postgame | 2020 Week 7 SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints Edge Panthers in Game of Inches SR News Page Articles 0
Saints stretch out to beat Panthers with inches to spare, a 'Who Dat' chant to remember Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints hold off Panthers, 27-24 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
NFL I'm new happy saints win Sunday Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 0
Saint Kamara This goes down as arguably the best play calling game of Sean Payton's Saints career Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 32
Saints hold off Panthers for 27-24 win Saints RSS News Feeds 0
What we learned, what is trending and final thoughts from the Saints' 27-24 win Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Kamara runs Saints to victory after they run out of receivers, 27-24 over Carolina. Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees, Alvin Kamara lead depleted Saints offense past Panthers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints 21 Panthers 17: 2nd half game thread Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints LT Terron Armstead suffers arm injury vs. Panthers, questionable to return Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees' latest milestone? Saints QB the first in NFL history to hit 7K completions Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints grab 21-17 lead before halftime Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints, Panthers trade touchdowns; Saints up 14-10 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
So_$@int Silly Saints Saints vs Panthers game day thread. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 21
Saints vs. Panthers: Week 7 open thread Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Inactive players for Saints matchup against the Panthers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
martymoose32 Panthers @ Saints Gameday Thread Gameday Board 1629