Saints should start Jameis over Brees during an 'easy' 4-game stretch - Domonique Foxworth (2 Viewers)

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
Sticky Post
The title got my attention but I went into reading the article with a Very negative attitude. I was surprised and Foxworthy and 4 other jocks brought-up some excellent points. I'll do my best to summarize

1) Foxworthy: Start Winston for the 4-game stretch of 49ers, Falcons, Denver, Falcons
2) Drew has tired each of the last 3-years heading into the playoffs. It would probably help him to have 2-4 games off. And Drew can always come off the bench if necessary
3) The offense needs to have more than 1-player disrupting the opponent defenses: Kamara. Winston would bring the bomb and downfield game back including other players besides Alvin. His point was that defenses will start stacking against Kamara as the season goes on without some changes
4) One of the reporters had a conversation about Brees load with SP during the offseason and asked if SP was going to try and balance Brees load so he is fresh in the offseason. The reporter said it sounded like Payton listened but couldn't tell if he really bought into that idea

Start Winston for 4-Games to Protect Brees Endurance for Playoffs and Open the Offense

J.T.

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
San Francisco, via La Place, via Galliano, via Mon
"Easy"...that's hilarious. No game is easy. We got beat by the Raiders...it took several strokes of luck to beat the Chargers who are now 1-4. We can't take any game for granted because 1 loss could be the difference between playing at home or at Green Bay in the snow...or Seattle's home.
Better than that, one game could be the difference between winning the NFC South and missing the playoffs. With the NFC North having two teams playing really well (Packers and Bears) and the NFC West having three teams playing well (Seahawks, Rams and Cardinals), it is not a sure thing thing that the NFC South will get two playoff teams. How many people honestly believe that the Refs WON'T bring their "A Game" in our second game against the Bucs? The Refs will also have an "All Star" cast and performance in at least one of our Falcons games. If the Officiating stays on the same trend as it has been for the season, the Saints will not make the playoffs. Every game matters, you only sit Brees if he does not give you the best chance to win your next game.

CajunSaint08

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
This is so dumb... Teddy B is better than Jameis, that’s why Bridgewater got a starting job and Jameis got little interest and a backup job on a “prove it” deal. He’s a turnover machine with a $0.10 brain
Wait, Teddy didn't get a starting job until he became a backup elsewhere....the Saints. Couldn't get a starting job until he had a chance to prove himself. He got lucky that Drew went down and had that opportunity. If not, he would probably still be a backup somewhere. If JW remains a backup after this year, then what you said may have some merit minus the " $0.10 brain" part. Have you ever heard JW speak, the guy is very intelligent.

BarBar

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Swing and a miss. Terrible idea for all the reasons mentioned in this thread.

NativeFan

Reaction score
Wait, Teddy didn't get a starting job until he became a backup elsewhere....the Saints. Couldn't get a starting job until he had a chance to prove himself. He got lucky that Drew went down and had that opportunity. If not, he would probably still be a backup somewhere. If JW remains a backup after this year, then what you said may have some merit minus the " $0.10 brain" part. Have you ever heard JW speak, the guy is very intelligent.

I really don't get how he can say Teddy is a better QB than Jameis. Better game manager? Yeah probably. More QB upside than Winston? Nah, haven't seen that yet.

Teddy has benefited from being on three well-run franchises. Winston has not, yet.

JLaneSaints

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
That says it all right there. And he's just 26 years old, and he's sitting right on our bench. People talk about this kid like he's trash or something, I just don't get it.
Well, when the forum blows up for 8 pages of griping every time Drew throws 1 interception even when we win, what do you think is going to happen with Winston?

Saintamaniac

Purple & Gold for Life
Reaction score
It makes some sense. Its not a completely bizarro idea, but itll never happen. Payton will not sit Brees, and Brees will not be ok sitting. It just wont happen. But it does make some at least interesting points.

1) It does have proof. Brees was off 5 weeks last year and finished far stronger than he did in 2018 when he faded badly down the stretch.

2) you get to see Winston in this offense when it counts. Despite his 30 INTs, he did throw for 5k and 33 TDS. The talent is there, the decision making just needs to be polished.

Brees' first 5 seasons - 12,348 yards. 80 TD, 53 INT. 1.5 TD- INT ratio.

Winston's first 5 seasons - 19737 yards, 121 TDs, 88 INT. 1.38 TD-INT ratio.

Im not saying Winston is Brees. Or even close. Im just saying he has all the tools and just needs to get in the right situation. Brees left SD after 5 years. Winston left TB after 5 years.

Brees' 2nd season he went 17 TD, 16 INT. 3rd season 11 TD, 15 INTs. Winston has never been upside down on TD-INT ratio. Brees was nowhere close in SD to what he would become in NO. And was benched for Doug Flutie at one point. Brees wasnt even sniffing even mild HoF talk in SD. It wasnt even on the radar, he wouldnt have even been on a list of guys in his 5th year that might one day get in the HoF. He became a HoF after he got here. I think WInston at least needs to be seen in this offense.

3) Both of the high profile records Brees owns will fall next year. Brady Is less than 3k yards behind and just a handful of TDS. Its not as if they are protecting records. Those are going to fall very soon after he retires. So they are playing for a ring, and if sitting a few weeks keeps him fresh to that end, then the means are worth swallowing your pride and thinking of sitting as part of an overall strategy.
I can't argue against anything you've said. You pretty much covered it all. I just feel the biggest difference with playing Winston this year versus playing Bridgewater last year was that I felt like Bridgewater was comfortable in our offense especially in what Payton was asking him to do. TB5 had 2 seasons in our offense and Payton did some of his best coaching since becoming Saints head coach during that 5 game stretch.

Winston, on the other hand, does not have that luxury of knowing the offense the way that TB5 did. It wouldn't be fair to Winston to put him in that situation and expect the same outcome. The reality is that in coming to the Saints, I believe that Winston is under his 6th OC in 6 seasons. If we had to start TB5 for a 5 game stretch his first season with the Saints, I don't see us going 5-0.

The best situation for keeping Brees fresh and not tiring out is for Payton to continue to run the ball. Both AK41 and LM28 have been eating up yards on the ground only to have Payton bring in TH7 with a very predictable call or have Brees start throwing the ball around . When the run game is killing it, Brees has a field day because LB's start cheating up opening the middle for the TE's or WR's over the middle. There are moments in the games where Payton stays with the run and we have success. But there are moments when Payton abandons the run. The best situation is for Payton to make our offense a run-first offense.

Eman5805

Soulful Voice Actor
Reaction score
That says it all right there. And he's just 26 years old, and he's sitting right on our bench. People talk about this kid like he's trash or something, I just don't get it.
That's what I'm like. The only future where we don't have Winston is one where we've traded him for the rights to pick Trevor Lawrence or we found Trey Lance that wesome and traded for him instead.

Otherwise, I want our next QB to be Winston. He basically fell into our lap.

NativeFan

Reaction score
That's what I'm like. The only future where we don't have Winston is one where we've traded him for the rights to pick Trevor Lawrence or we found Trey Lance that wesome and traded for him instead.

Otherwise, I want our next QB to be Winston. He basically fell into our lap.
Trevor, ugh. I'm sorry but when it comes to QB's I don't want to be stuck "rebuilding" with some college player. I want a proven guy through free agency. We have that guy and we also have Taysom.

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Unless Brees gets injured or his play suddenly falls off a cliff, there is no way this is going to happen.

Also, I don’t think any of these so-called experts watched the Minn playoff game very closely if they think Brees was tired. He was tired of getting hit in the backfield due to poor offensive line play and poor play calling....Why we didn’t run the ball straight at those DE’s lined up inside baffles my mind to this day....daggummit!!!

porculator

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Benching your QB for "rest" when in a 3 way tie for the division lead would be top 10 dumbest coaching moves of all time. Best case scenario, if it goes well, you have a QB controversy.

porculator

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If the goal is to cut Brees' reps to give him more rest, run the ball 25% more.

There's your 4 games worth of rest.

Completely asinine idea.

OP

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
I don't have a problem at all with load balancing Brees play level, whether Taysom or Winston or both. The problem I have is that we are falling behind in the 1st half. Drew already overcame 10 pt and 17 pt deficits to win games. That's a HOF QB. If the defense doesn't get its act together, putting in Winston or even Taysom, when we are down by 10-17 points is just asking for trouble, especially with Winston who would be put in a position of having to the throw the ball a lot, just like he did in Tampa. That's a prescription for failure.

NativeFan

Reaction score
Unless Brees gets injured or his play suddenly falls off a cliff, there is no way this is going to happen.

Also, I don’t think any of these so-called experts watched the Minn playoff game very closely if they think Brees was tired. He was tired of getting hit in the backfield due to poor offensive line play and poor play calling....Why we didn’t run the ball straight at those DE’s lined up inside baffles my mind to this day....daggummit!!!
What quarterback doesn't get pressured and hit in the playoffs? Even Tom Brady took his share of games like that, and rose above them. Why couldn't Brees make them pay for blitzing him? He had the quickest release in the regular season. But you don't think the arm was tired? You don't think they had the perfect scheme for our boring predictable unsustainable offense?

Drew Brees had two turnovers and barely threw for 200 yards in a game that went into overtime. There's just no excuse, period. That loss is on him and only him. And you can't blame a defense that holds a team to 20 points in regulation, not in the modern NFL.

We call this guy one of the greatest then when we lose, say he should have just handed the ball off all day and not get hit. SMH, I don't even know what to think about that.

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
What quarterback doesn't get pressured and hit in the playoffs? Even Tom Brady took his share of games like that, and rose above them. Why couldn't Brees make them pay for blitzing him? He had the quickest release in the regular season. But you don't think the arm was tired? You don't think they had the perfect scheme for our boring predictable unsustainable offense?

Drew Brees had two turnovers and barely threw for 200 yards in a game that went into overtime. There's just no excuse, period. That loss is on him and only him. And you can't blame a defense that holds a team to 20 points in regulation, not in the modern NFL.

We call this guy one of the greatest then when we lose, say he should have just handed the ball off all day and not get hit. SMH, I don't even know what to think about that.
I guess you thought the offensive line played great that day....they didn’t....Brees in multiple instances did not have time to even get to the 2nd read. Most QB’s don’t perform well when they are under consistent pressure and Brees is no exception. But to give the offensive line a pass and SP’s unwillingness to run the ball down their throat is being disingenuous....

He is one of the greatest ever, do you deny that?

Saint Kamara

Formerly SaintSproles and SaintReggie
Reaction score
I agree, with a winning record it's way too soon to talk about benching him. Resting him for later ala Payton Manning is what this article is suggesting though.

Having said that, the last two wins have been ugly come-from-behind dumpster fires in what were supposed to be gimme's. Where Brees struggled to get it together in the first half. If we start losing, well, the season is more important than one man.
Manning had a significant injury. He wasn't being "rested".

Very few games are "gimmes", and certainly Detroit and Las Vegas were far from gimmes.

Brees drove us to 4 TDs in the first half vs Detroit. Not sure how that's considered "struggling".

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Saint Kamara Saints defense vs Nick Foles Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 21
Marquez Callaway may have surprised some Sunday, but the Saints have been seeing this Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Payton addresses Saints secondary concerns, praises many facets of offense from win over Panthers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints revert Austin Carr, Juwan Johnson and Will Clapp back to the practice squad Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Why did the Saints call a timeout after the break between the 1st and 2nd quarters? Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Once again, Saints game-week preparations include hurricane contingency plans Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints survive, Bucs cruise, Falcons blow lead (again); see where things stand after Week 7 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints' snap counts: A look at usage of receivers, defensive line, secondary in Week 7 win over Panthers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Social media reactions from the Saints 27-24 win over the Panthers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints Week 7: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Beignets and Café au Lait: Saints Remain Undefeated in the Division Saints RSS News Feeds 0
ndcc Saints Which past (year) Saints defense would make our 2020 team scary good? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 9
Fleur-de-Links, October 26: Saints emerge victorious against Carolina Panthers following bye week Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Drew Brees excellent throughout, Marcus Davenport comes up with big sack in New Orleans Saints victory against Panthers SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints' Cam Jordan takes shot at Antonio Brown: 'He's got to get to Week 9' SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette 3 Takeaways from Saints Victory Over Panthers SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Brees' clutch precision lifts Saints past Panthers, 27-24 SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints fans celebrate a win after fans allowed inside dome for the first time this season SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Game recap - New Orleans Saints defeat Carolina Panthers 27-24 SR News Page Articles 0
Dleger 2020 Saints “D” Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 3
CanadianSaint Saints vs Panthers Week 7 2020 GIFs Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 3
How was Saints' 1st game with fans in Superdome? For these lucky Who Dats, it was 'phenomenal' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Teddy Bridgewater's return: From big plays to a seat on Saints' bench; here's how it happened Saints RSS News Feeds 0
How the 1st sack of the season for Saints DE Marcus Davenport changed the game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints show Panthers that there’s no substitute for the real thing Saints RSS News Feeds 0
The Saints navigated a crisis again, and it was evident how they'd do it from the start Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints win down top WRs with 3 a.m. game plan Saints RSS News Feeds 0
How clutch were Saints on 3rd down vs. Panthers? They did something NFL hasn't seen in 3 decades Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Walker: 3,000 fans brought some "juice" to the Dome Sunday, and so did the Saints' offense Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Cam Jordan: Saints knew Joey Slye wouldn’t make 65-yard field goal Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Saints Panthers Postgame Show | Week 7 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Sean Payton Talks Win | Saints-Panthers Postgame | 2020 Week 7 SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints Edge Panthers in Game of Inches SR News Page Articles 0
Saints stretch out to beat Panthers with inches to spare, a 'Who Dat' chant to remember Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints hold off Panthers, 27-24 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
NFL I'm new happy saints win Sunday Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 0
Saint Kamara This goes down as arguably the best play calling game of Sean Payton's Saints career Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 32
Saints hold off Panthers for 27-24 win Saints RSS News Feeds 0
What we learned, what is trending and final thoughts from the Saints' 27-24 win Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Kamara runs Saints to victory after they run out of receivers, 27-24 over Carolina. Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees, Alvin Kamara lead depleted Saints offense past Panthers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints 21 Panthers 17: 2nd half game thread Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints LT Terron Armstead suffers arm injury vs. Panthers, questionable to return Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees' latest milestone? Saints QB the first in NFL history to hit 7K completions Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints grab 21-17 lead before halftime Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints, Panthers trade touchdowns; Saints up 14-10 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
So_$@int Silly Saints Saints vs Panthers game day thread. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 21
Saints vs. Panthers: Week 7 open thread Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Inactive players for Saints matchup against the Panthers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
martymoose32 Panthers @ Saints Gameday Thread Gameday Board 1629