Saints should start Jameis over Brees during an 'easy' 4-game stretch - Domonique Foxworth (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
The title got my attention but I went into reading the article with a Very negative attitude. I was surprised and Foxworthy and 4 other jocks brought-up some excellent points. I'll do my best to summarize

1) Foxworthy: Start Winston for the 4-game stretch of 49ers, Falcons, Denver, Falcons
2) Drew has tired each of the last 3-years heading into the playoffs. It would probably help him to have 2-4 games off. And Drew can always come off the bench if necessary
3) The offense needs to have more than 1-player disrupting the opponent defenses: Kamara. Winston would bring the bomb and downfield game back including other players besides Alvin. His point was that defenses will start stacking against Kamara as the season goes on without some changes
4) One of the reporters had a conversation about Brees load with SP during the offseason and asked if SP was going to try and balance Brees load so he is fresh in the offseason. The reporter said it sounded like Payton listened but couldn't tell if he really bought into that idea

Start Winston for 4-Games to Protect Brees Endurance for Playoffs and Open the Offense

Well, being that Drew will retire after this season and TB12 will play another year, Drew’s TD record will get broken anyway. So, why not? Personally, I’d let Drew play every game bc I think he’s hitting his stride. Winston came here to be a backup, so I feel that’s exactly what he should be. Now, if Drew gets into a really rough two game stretch after the bye, then I may be inclined to change my answer

I'm Jameis goes 4-0 during stretch and lights it up, I don't think Drew gets his job back.

That's really interesting. There is zero question in my mind that our defense played the best since the Dome Patrol for the 5-games Teddy started. If the Saints would actually consider this and Winston were to go 4-0, you may very well be right if the defense plays exceptional during those games.

The title got my attention but I went into reading the article with a Very negative attitude. I was surprised and Foxworthy and 4 other jocks brought-up some excellent points. I'll do my best to summarize

1) Foxworthy: Start Winston for the 4-game stretch of 49ers, Falcons, Denver, Falcons
2) Drew has tired each of the last 3-years heading into the playoffs. It would probably help him to have 2-4 games off. And Drew can always come off the bench if necessary
3) The offense needs to have more than 1-player disrupting the opponent defenses: Kamara. Winston would bring the bomb and downfield game back including other players besides Alvin. His point was that defenses will start stacking against Kamara as the season goes on without some changes
4) One of the reporters had a conversation about Brees load with SP during the offseason and asked if SP was going to try and balance Brees load so he is fresh in the offseason. The reporter said it sounded like Payton listened but couldn't tell if he really bought into that idea

Start Winston for 4-Games to Protect Brees Endurance for Playoffs and Open the Offense
I don’t think Brees was tired during the playoffs last year.

I think he got plenty of pressure up the middle and did a poor job of adjusting. It was a very bad game from him, but I think it is one that could have happened 5 years ago as well.

However, I do think that one reason he was playing so well late last year was that he had time off earlier in the year.

So I kinda see where Foxworth is coming from (although I admit to only working off this summary; I haven’t listened to the interview).

But our offense clearly hasn’t fully gelled yet and is still working in guys like Sanders (who admitted that’s he’s only now getting up to speed), and young guys like Callaway and Fowler. Not to mention the fact that Mike Thomas and his QB may need a bit of time to re-establish their insane connection with each other.

Plus, without any kind of preseason or (normal) training camp, how do we know that Winston has fully grasped everything that he needs?

So again, while I understand the “give Brees some rest during the ‘easy’ part of the schedule” argument, I’m not sure that taking him off the field for such an extended time would actually be the best thing long-term (because of chemistry and playbook reasons). Also, with the way our defense has been playing, who is to say that this will even be an “easy” section of games?

While I can certainly see the hypothetical benefits, I think it’s a pretty big gamble. One that I don’t think I’d be willing to take.

My problem with this line of though is Taysom Hill is our #2 not Winston. What makes a one think SP would go back on s word to Hil!

You ACTUALLY think Taysom Hill would get the nod over Jamies Winston if Drew went down for a long period of time? well, I guess we don't have an example of this ever happening so.....

This is all so silly.

A defense that is almost at the very bottom of the league in points allowed and you're going to play a QB who, if he keeps up his career average, will turn the ball over 6 times during that 4 game stretch.

We would be lucky to win 2 of those 4 games.

This is all so silly.

A defense that is almost at the very bottom of the league in points allowed and you're going to play a QB who, if he keeps up his career average, will turn the ball over 6 times during that 4 game stretch.

We would be lucky to win 2 of those 4 games.
Not only that, as I mentioned in another thread, Winston has had no live reps that preseason would give him. Does he even know the whole offense?? People think he could just come in and play like he's been here for 3/4 years. Heck, it's taking Brees awhile to get it going and he's been in the same offense since 2006.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom