Saints should start Jameis over Brees during an 'easy' 4-game stretch - Domonique Foxworth (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Load balancing is an interesting idea, but with so few games in an nfl season and wins not guaranteed, I think this is a bad idea. Sit Brees if/when the games are meaningless.

You ACTUALLY think Taysom Hill would get the nod over Jamies Winston if Drew went down for a long period of time? well, I guess we don't have an example of this ever happening so.....
Yes, but Teddy was #2 on the depth chart then, not Taysom Hill. So it is really hard to say what would happen unless it actually happens. God forbid. If it happened today, Taysom is listed as #2 on the depth chart.

What I would actually love to see is JW get the opportunity to play Taysom's QB role on the team, getting about 5 snaps a game. With Taysom, there is a 99% chance it will be a running play, with 90% him keeping the ball. If JW were to get those same snaps, you could really open up the playbook to pass, run or keep....a true option QB if so desired for those special plays. Either way, unless he is used this season in some capacity, it will be hard to decide whether or not to resign him as the future.

And monkeys and donkeys can fly.

Jameis going 4-0 as a pee-wee league QB, would be momentous, much less 4-0 in a 4 game stretch of NFL games. And anyone else suggesting we start Hill the next 4 games, is equally dumb!

I know Drew is not the same QB he once was and I have been very critical of that fact. BUT, it is more on the coaching staff, he is still the QB. The fact this staff has done ZERO, to draft the heir to Drew, is where the fault lies.

Drew, unfortunately, is the best we have ATM. We need to live and deal with it.

So you are calling me dumb?

"Easy"...that's hilarious. No game is easy. We got beat by the Raiders...it took several strokes of luck to beat the Chargers who are now 1-4. We can't take any game for granted because 1 loss could be the difference between playing at home or at Green Bay in the snow...or Seattle's home.

Better than that, one game could be the difference between winning the NFC South and missing the playoffs. With the NFC North having two teams playing really well (Packers and Bears) and the NFC West having three teams playing well (Seahawks, Rams and Cardinals), it is not a sure thing thing that the NFC South will get two playoff teams. How many people honestly believe that the Refs WON'T bring their "A Game" in our second game against the Bucs? The Refs will also have an "All Star" cast and performance in at least one of our Falcons games. If the Officiating stays on the same trend as it has been for the season, the Saints will not make the playoffs. Every game matters, you only sit Brees if he does not give you the best chance to win your next game.

This is so dumb... Teddy B is better than Jameis, that’s why Bridgewater got a starting job and Jameis got little interest and a backup job on a “prove it” deal. He’s a turnover machine with a $0.10 brain

Wait, Teddy didn't get a starting job until he became a backup elsewhere....the Saints. Couldn't get a starting job until he had a chance to prove himself. He got lucky that Drew went down and had that opportunity. If not, he would probably still be a backup somewhere. If JW remains a backup after this year, then what you said may have some merit minus the " $0.10 brain" part. Have you ever heard JW speak, the guy is very intelligent.

Swing and a miss. Terrible idea for all the reasons mentioned in this thread.

Wait, Teddy didn't get a starting job until he became a backup elsewhere....the Saints. Couldn't get a starting job until he had a chance to prove himself. He got lucky that Drew went down and had that opportunity. If not, he would probably still be a backup somewhere. If JW remains a backup after this year, then what you said may have some merit minus the " $0.10 brain" part. Have you ever heard JW speak, the guy is very intelligent.

I really don't get how he can say Teddy is a better QB than Jameis. Better game manager? Yeah probably. More QB upside than Winston? Nah, haven't seen that yet.

Teddy has benefited from being on three well-run franchises. Winston has not, yet.

That says it all right there. And he's just 26 years old, and he's sitting right on our bench. People talk about this kid like he's trash or something, I just don't get it.

Well, when the forum blows up for 8 pages of griping every time Drew throws 1 interception even when we win, what do you think is going to happen with Winston?

It makes some sense. Its not a completely bizarro idea, but itll never happen. Payton will not sit Brees, and Brees will not be ok sitting. It just wont happen. But it does make some at least interesting points.

1) It does have proof. Brees was off 5 weeks last year and finished far stronger than he did in 2018 when he faded badly down the stretch.

2) you get to see Winston in this offense when it counts. Despite his 30 INTs, he did throw for 5k and 33 TDS. The talent is there, the decision making just needs to be polished.

Brees' first 5 seasons - 12,348 yards. 80 TD, 53 INT. 1.5 TD- INT ratio.

Winston's first 5 seasons - 19737 yards, 121 TDs, 88 INT. 1.38 TD-INT ratio.

Im not saying Winston is Brees. Or even close. Im just saying he has all the tools and just needs to get in the right situation. Brees left SD after 5 years. Winston left TB after 5 years.

Brees' 2nd season he went 17 TD, 16 INT. 3rd season 11 TD, 15 INTs. Winston has never been upside down on TD-INT ratio. Brees was nowhere close in SD to what he would become in NO. And was benched for Doug Flutie at one point. Brees wasnt even sniffing even mild HoF talk in SD. It wasnt even on the radar, he wouldnt have even been on a list of guys in his 5th year that might one day get in the HoF. He became a HoF after he got here. I think WInston at least needs to be seen in this offense.

3) Both of the high profile records Brees owns will fall next year. Brady Is less than 3k yards behind and just a handful of TDS. Its not as if they are protecting records. Those are going to fall very soon after he retires. So they are playing for a ring, and if sitting a few weeks keeps him fresh to that end, then the means are worth swallowing your pride and thinking of sitting as part of an overall strategy.
I can't argue against anything you've said. You pretty much covered it all. I just feel the biggest difference with playing Winston this year versus playing Bridgewater last year was that I felt like Bridgewater was comfortable in our offense especially in what Payton was asking him to do. TB5 had 2 seasons in our offense and Payton did some of his best coaching since becoming Saints head coach during that 5 game stretch.

Winston, on the other hand, does not have that luxury of knowing the offense the way that TB5 did. It wouldn't be fair to Winston to put him in that situation and expect the same outcome. The reality is that in coming to the Saints, I believe that Winston is under his 6th OC in 6 seasons. If we had to start TB5 for a 5 game stretch his first season with the Saints, I don't see us going 5-0.

The best situation for keeping Brees fresh and not tiring out is for Payton to continue to run the ball. Both AK41 and LM28 have been eating up yards on the ground only to have Payton bring in TH7 with a very predictable call or have Brees start throwing the ball around . When the run game is killing it, Brees has a field day because LB's start cheating up opening the middle for the TE's or WR's over the middle. There are moments in the games where Payton stays with the run and we have success. But there are moments when Payton abandons the run. The best situation is for Payton to make our offense a run-first offense.

Next year when Brees has retired I wonder how many people are going to be on here wishing we still had him as our QB?
Not me, willing to roll the dice with whoever CSP goes with, rookie, Winston or hill. Or a free agent.

That says it all right there. And he's just 26 years old, and he's sitting right on our bench. People talk about this kid like he's trash or something, I just don't get it.
That's what I'm like. The only future where we don't have Winston is one where we've traded him for the rights to pick Trevor Lawrence or we found Trey Lance that wesome and traded for him instead.

Otherwise, I want our next QB to be Winston. He basically fell into our lap.

That's what I'm like. The only future where we don't have Winston is one where we've traded him for the rights to pick Trevor Lawrence or we found Trey Lance that wesome and traded for him instead.

Otherwise, I want our next QB to be Winston. He basically fell into our lap.

Trevor, ugh. I'm sorry but when it comes to QB's I don't want to be stuck "rebuilding" with some college player. I want a proven guy through free agency. We have that guy and we also have Taysom.

Unless Brees gets injured or his play suddenly falls off a cliff, there is no way this is going to happen.

Also, I don’t think any of these so-called experts watched the Minn playoff game very closely if they think Brees was tired. He was tired of getting hit in the backfield due to poor offensive line play and poor play calling....Why we didn’t run the ball straight at those DE’s lined up inside baffles my mind to this day....daggummit!!!

Benching your QB for "rest" when in a 3 way tie for the division lead would be top 10 dumbest coaching moves of all time. Best case scenario, if it goes well, you have a QB controversy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom