Saints should start Jameis over Brees during an 'easy' 4-game stretch - Domonique Foxworth (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the goal is to cut Brees' reps to give him more rest, run the ball 25% more.

There's your 4 games worth of rest.

Completely asinine idea.

I don't have a problem at all with load balancing Brees play level, whether Taysom or Winston or both. The problem I have is that we are falling behind in the 1st half. Drew already overcame 10 pt and 17 pt deficits to win games. That's a HOF QB. If the defense doesn't get its act together, putting in Winston or even Taysom, when we are down by 10-17 points is just asking for trouble, especially with Winston who would be put in a position of having to the throw the ball a lot, just like he did in Tampa. That's a prescription for failure.

Unless Brees gets injured or his play suddenly falls off a cliff, there is no way this is going to happen.

Also, I don’t think any of these so-called experts watched the Minn playoff game very closely if they think Brees was tired. He was tired of getting hit in the backfield due to poor offensive line play and poor play calling....Why we didn’t run the ball straight at those DE’s lined up inside baffles my mind to this day....daggummit!!!

What quarterback doesn't get pressured and hit in the playoffs? Even Tom Brady took his share of games like that, and rose above them. Why couldn't Brees make them pay for blitzing him? He had the quickest release in the regular season. But you don't think the arm was tired? You don't think they had the perfect scheme for our boring predictable unsustainable offense?

Drew Brees had two turnovers and barely threw for 200 yards in a game that went into overtime. There's just no excuse, period. That loss is on him and only him. And you can't blame a defense that holds a team to 20 points in regulation, not in the modern NFL.

We call this guy one of the greatest then when we lose, say he should have just handed the ball off all day and not get hit. SMH, I don't even know what to think about that.

What quarterback doesn't get pressured and hit in the playoffs? Even Tom Brady took his share of games like that, and rose above them. Why couldn't Brees make them pay for blitzing him? He had the quickest release in the regular season. But you don't think the arm was tired? You don't think they had the perfect scheme for our boring predictable unsustainable offense?

Drew Brees had two turnovers and barely threw for 200 yards in a game that went into overtime. There's just no excuse, period. That loss is on him and only him. And you can't blame a defense that holds a team to 20 points in regulation, not in the modern NFL.

We call this guy one of the greatest then when we lose, say he should have just handed the ball off all day and not get hit. SMH, I don't even know what to think about that.

I guess you thought the offensive line played great that day....they didn’t....Brees in multiple instances did not have time to even get to the 2nd read. Most QB’s don’t perform well when they are under consistent pressure and Brees is no exception. But to give the offensive line a pass and SP’s unwillingness to run the ball down their throat is being disingenuous....

He is one of the greatest ever, do you deny that?

I agree, with a winning record it's way too soon to talk about benching him. Resting him for later ala Payton Manning is what this article is suggesting though.

Having said that, the last two wins have been ugly come-from-behind dumpster fires in what were supposed to be gimme's. Where Brees struggled to get it together in the first half. If we start losing, well, the season is more important than one man.
Manning had a significant injury. He wasn't being "rested".

Very few games are "gimmes", and certainly Detroit and Las Vegas were far from gimmes.

Brees drove us to 4 TDs in the first half vs Detroit. Not sure how that's considered "struggling".

I guess you thought the offensive line played great that day....they didn’t....Brees in multiple instances did not have time to even get to the 2nd read. Most QB’s don’t perform well when they are under consistent pressure and Brees is no exception. But to give the offensive line a pass and SP’s unwillingness to run the ball down their throat is being disingenuous....

He is one of the greatest ever, do you deny that?

He's one of the greatest, but his playoffs failures have certainly tarnished his legacy. There's just no way around that observation. We can make all the excuses in the world, but when it comes to gut-check time the greats rise to the occasion. For whatever reason, Brees does not.

We're not saying he sucks, we're saying it's the arm. Everyone sees it the past 3 or 4 seasons, they ALL say it when we lose. Drew and the arm looks tired. We get into the playoffs and it just doesn't have that "pop" anymore. He can't make the throws he's used to making. Look at the dropoff in QBR, look at all the interceptions and drop in efficiency. How do you explain that away?

You and others torch Dennis Allen for bad defense and blame that, but since he got here his defense in our playoff losses have held teams to just 20, 23, and 29 points through four quarters for an average of just 24 points per loss. If any great QB has been let down more in the playoffs by bad defense, it's Aaron Rodgers not Drew Brees. People here talk like we're giving up 35-40+ points in the playoffs.

Run the ball?? You're saying our offensive line sucks, but then also say the magic pill is running the ball. Just....okay that makes sense.

You know what post season game Tom Brady got pressured all game long and utterly failed?

2007 Super Bowl vs NY Giants

The greatest regular season team of all time and an unbelievable unstoppable offense (and a career year for Brady) and Tom couldn't beat mediocre Eli head to head.

14 points?

It happens to ALL of them.

His defense has carried him to 4 of his 6 SB wins. Must be nice.

Just ask Aaron Rodgers about all of his post season failures since his Super Bowl win.

It's more than likely his last year and he's not playing like sheet. He's not why we're losing.

Correction. Kamara playing out of his mind and Sanders somehow catching completely inaccurate balls is why we aren't losing more, and we haven't exactly won against any decent teams either.

There's rooting for your HoF QB, and then there's being blind. Put it into perspective, the best game he's had this season is against the Lions. After getting tossed around by the Raiders (which is seeming like a legit playoff contender at this point) and checking down to Kamara all game long against the Packers. You can't go watch the tape and say he played well with a straight face. Go watch some non-broadcast footage of this season. He's missing wide open receivers everywhere, so open that Winston couldn't even throw a pick on the play if he tried.

You know what post season game Tom Brady got pressured all game long and utterly failed?

2007 Super Bowl vs NY Giants

Meh both QB's took their licks and that game just came down to who had the ball last. Not sure what case you're making on this one. Eli and the Giants certainly had the Pats number and I love they won those games.

After yesterday’s wild and unwarranted speculations yesterday about the purchase of a condo. Then the support of this idea...I’m losing faith quick in the common sense of the majority of this board.
Ye when you got 100 mill or so you can pretty much buy anything. I'd have a house in 10 different cities. It wouldnt mean anything more than a place to stay while visiting.

Correction. Kamara playing out of his mind and Sanders somehow catching completely inaccurate balls is why we aren't losing more, and we haven't exactly won against any decent teams either.

There's rooting for your HoF QB, and then there's being blind. Put it into perspective, the best game he's had this season is against the Lions. After getting tossed around by the Raiders (which is seeming like a legit playoff contender at this point) and checking down to Kamara all game long against the Packers. You can't go watch the tape and say he played well with a straight face. Go watch some non-broadcast footage of this season. He's missing wide open receivers everywhere, so open that Winston couldn't even throw a pick on the play if he tried.

Well said.

He left so many yards on the field in the Packers game it was frustrating to watch. When the greatest seam thrower in football saw the open seam, hesitated , and kept checking down to Kamara? That's when you just knew Brees has hit the cliff.

He's one of the greatest, but his playoffs failures have certainly tarnished his legacy. There's just no way around that observation. We can make all the excuses in the world, but when it comes to gut-check time the greats rise to the occasion. For whatever reason, Brees does not.

We're not saying he sucks, we're saying it's the arm. Everyone sees it the past 3 or 4 seasons, they ALL say it when we lose. Drew and the arm looks tired. We get into the playoffs and it just doesn't have that "pop" anymore. He can't make the throws he's used to making. Look at the dropoff in QBR, look at all the interceptions and drop in efficiency. How do you explain that away?

You and others torch Dennis Allen for bad defense and blame that, but since he got here his defense in our playoff losses have held teams to just 20, 23, and 29 points through four quarters for an average of just 24 points per loss. If any great QB has been let down more in the playoffs by bad defense, it's Aaron Rodgers not Drew Brees. People here talk like we're giving up 35-40+ points in the playoffs.

Run the ball?? You're saying our offensive line sucks, but then also say the magic pill is running the ball. Just....okay that makes sense.

All the interceptions? Didn’t we already go through this? This is the perfect example of exaggerating his decline. Since 2017 only one QB in the NFL has thrown fewer....Aaron Rodgers....I think another poster showed Brees stats over the last 4 games below:

107/145 on Completions for 73.7 % 1170 Yards passing. 7 Td 2 INT. Not bad a 41 year old QB. I think Drew is still just warming up. All of this without M.T the ultimate catch machine

Right now, I’d say I really don’t see much drop off in efficiency and as the OP says, this is without perhaps the best WR in the NFL. There are no guarantees of course, Brees could decline to the point where he should be benched....but I don’t see that happening just yet.....

Not saying the offensive line sucks, but from last year forward it became apparent that they are a better run-blocking unit than pass pro. We need to run to set up the pass, something SP I think, struggles with at times. It worked well when we finally had 30+ rushes against the Lions and while we didn’t get as great as production against the Chargers, we ran effectively 25 times and our backs both averaged over 4 yards per carry. If we continue to do that I believe we will reach the playoffs....

And yes, Minn was daring us to run the ball by lining up undersized DE’s inside at DT....SP couldn’t or wouldn’t do it, and it also possible Brees audibles out of some of the called run plays, I honestly don’t know but it was a head scratcher to me....

You are saying something that is really hard to face for most of us Who Dats. Your point about Brees recent playoff performances is spot-on. He has simply not looked good in the playoffs for 3-years as you mention. 1st ballot HOF QBs have some of these periods, often a result of other team factors. However, these 3 playoff losses are not the stuff for a GOAT conversation. The GOAT elite find a way to win most big playoff games and SBs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom