Saints should start Jameis over Brees during an 'easy' 4-game stretch - Domonique Foxworth (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great in theory to save Drew for the playoffs, but what happens if Winston goes 1 - 3 and puts us in a playoff hole. I say we stick with Drew and see where it takes us this year. If we don't fix the defense quickly nothing will much matter anyway!

He's one of the greatest, but his playoffs failures have certainly tarnished his legacy. There's just no way around that observation. We can make all the excuses in the world, but when it comes to gut-check time the greats rise to the occasion. For whatever reason, Brees does not.

That's unfair.

2010 - Defense is horrible, the background for one of the greatest TD runs ever. Offense scored 34 points.
2011 - Saints go up by 3 points with less than 90 seconds left, defense lets SF march down the field 80 yards and score a TD. Offense scored 32 points without Pierre Thomas
2013 - Lost a tight game against the eventual SB champions. The height of the Legion of Boom, or Legion of "they won't call pass interference on every play"
2017- With 25 seconds on the clock, after drive that put the Saints ahead, the defense lets the Vikings go 80 yards and score a TD.
2018 - 2 blatant non-calls very late in the game give the Rams the momentum ( DPI on Lewis, roughing the passer on OT INT).
2019 - I'll give you that one.

Last edited:
You are saying something that is really hard to face for most of us Who Dats. Your point about Brees recent playoff performances is spot-on. He has simply not looked good in the playoffs for 3-years as you mention. 1st ballot HOF QBs have some of these periods, often a result of other team factors. However, these 3 playoff losses are not the stuff for a GOAT conversation. The GOAT elite find a way to win most big playoff games and SBs.
Despite not looking his best he brought us to a lead with 25 seconds left in the first Vikings matchup. Another lead against the Rams with less than 2 minutes to go and were screwed very badly by the refs. Despite struggling against the Vikings again last year, we still tied and took it to overtime.

Who is the goat in your mind? Who are all these qbs winning multiple Superbowls? Every one with more than one ring has had a good defense. Even with our run in 2009 it took the defense stepping it up. While Brady has won the most and has thrown 73 TDs in the postseason, he's also thrown 35 picks and has had a top 10 defense most of those years. The few years he did not have a top 10 defense he also did not have postseason success. Those years he was booted from the postseason by the likes of Jake Plummer and Mark Sanchez. Last year he had the number 1 scoring defense and still lost, and that's probably why Bellicheck got rid of him. Give Drew that defense we win.
Peyton Manning has notoriously struggled in the postseason, his second title was solely because of his defense. Big Ben? Lol.

While Brees isn't in his prime, how is Winston going to come in his first year with the same exact team and win? Last year Teddy won 5, he also had the entire previous season to learn. We were also playing like a 13-3 team overall offense and defense were just clicking, didn't matter if it was Brees or Teddy. This year we're playing like a 7-9 team.

Last edited:
You are saying something that is really hard to face for most of us Who Dats. Your point about Brees recent playoff performances is spot-on. He has simply not looked good in the playoffs for 3-years as you mention. 1st ballot HOF QBs have some of these periods, often a result of other team factors. However, these 3 playoff losses are not the stuff for a GOAT conversation. The GOAT elite find a way to win most big playoff games and SBs.

That's unfair.

2010 - Defense is horrible, the background for one of the greatest TD runs ever. Offense scored 34 points.
2011 - Saints go up by 3 points with less than 90 seconds left, defense lets SF march down the field 80 yards and score a TD. Offense scored 32 points without Pierre Thomas
2013 - Lost a tight game against the eventual SB champions. The height of the Legion of Boom, or Legion of "they won't call pass interference on every play"
2017- With 25 seconds on the clock, after drive that put the Saints ahead, the defense lets the Vikings go 80 yards and score a TD.
2018 - 2 blatant non-calls very late in the game give the Rams the momentum ( DPI on Lewis, roughing the passer on OT INT).
2019 - I'll give you that one.

I kind of agree with both of these takes. I can honestly see it both ways. Brees has played well enough to have a chance to win in 2017 and of course, should have won in 18....but, his performance in those games were ok, but not great...

2017 against Minn 25 of 40 for 294, 3 TD’s, 2 INT’s (the turnovers put us in a hole)
2018 against the Rams 26 of 40 for 249, 2 TD’s and 1 INT

Those would be actually poor games for him in the regular season. Yes both teams had good defenses but he didn’t seem sharp in either of those games.

In 2010 and 2011 he easily played well enough to win both of those games. In both those games it is rather obvious the defense let us down....

I kind of agree with both of these takes. I can honestly see it both ways. Brees has played well enough to have a chance to win in 2017 and of course, should have won in 18....but, his performance in those games were ok, but not great...

2017 against Minn 25 of 40 for 294, 3 TD’s, 2 INT’s (the turnovers put us in a hole)
2018 against the Rams 26 of 40 for 249, 2 TD’s and 1 INT

Those would be actually poor games for him in the regular season. Yes both teams had good defenses but he didn’t seem sharp in either of those games.

In 2010 and 2011 he easily played well enough to win both of those games. In both those games it is rather obvious the defense let us down....

I'll say 2 things:
Stats don't tell you how games played out. Case and point 2018. At the very least, the stat line should've read 27 of 40 for 265 yds, 2 TDs no INTs.

Also, during the regular season, teams don't often play against playoff teams on the road.

I'll say 2 things:
Stats don't tell you how games played out. Case and point 2018. At the very least, the stat line should've read 27 of 40 for 265 yds, 2 TDs no INTs.

Also, during the regular season, teams don't often play against playoff teams on the road.

We played both those games at home I believe....but it was more than stats, he didn’t look sharp in either game....

Jameis should never start for the saints under any circumstances. The guy is a rapist. He disgraces the black and gold being on the team.

Despite not looking his best he brought us to a lead with 25 seconds left in the first Vikings matchup. Another lead against the Rams with less than 2 minutes to go and were screwed very badly by the refs. Despite struggling against the Vikings again last year, we still tied and took it to overtime.

Who is the goat in your mind? Who are all these qbs winning multiple Superbowls? Every one with more than one ring has had a good defense. Even with our run in 2009 it took the defense stepping it up. While Brady has won the most and has thrown 73 TDs in the postseason, he's also thrown 35 picks and has had a top 10 defense most of those years. The few years he did not have a top 10 defense he also did not have postseason success. Those years he was booted from the postseason by the likes of Jake Plummer and Mark Sanchez. Last year he had the number 1 scoring defense and still lost, and that's probably why Bellicheck got rid of him. Give Drew that defense we win.
Peyton Manning has notoriously struggled in the postseason, his second title was solely because of his defense. Big Ben? Lol.

While Brees isn't in his prime, how is Winston going to come in his first year with the same exact team and win? Last year Teddy won 5, he also had the entire previous season to learn. We were also playing like a 13-3 team overall offense and defense were just clicking, didn't matter if it was Brees or Teddy. This year we're playing like a 7-9 team.

Really good analysis! Thx. imho, and that's all, I would say Brady and Montana are the GOATS. Agree with you 1000% on Manning. He choked a ton of playoff games.

My problem with this line of though is Taysom Hill is our #2 not Winston. What makes a one think SP would go back on s word to Hil!

Well it could be that Hill will never be the passer that many Saints fans think he will be to run a Sean Payton offense and I'm not so sure that Sean Payton thinks or truly believes that he will either.

You can't coach smart, either you are or you aren't.

I don't care about Brees's records as much as I do about the team's season. That said, Winston is not the answer. Bridgewater was the guy, but the Saints let him get out of the building. Now, there is no real option behind Brees for the future. I'm convinced now after watching Taysom Hill this year and knowing Winston for the past 5 that our future franchise QB is not on the roster at this time. Doesn't this genius Foxworthy know recent NFL history? Drew Brees rested for 5 games last year and we still lost in the first round of the playoffs. So, it really doesn't matter.

I don't care about Brees's records as much as I do about the team's season. That said, Winston is not the answer. Bridgewater was the guy, but the Saints let him get out of the building. Now, there is no real option behind Brees for the future. I'm convinced now after watching Taysom Hill this year and knowing Winston for the past 5 that our future franchise QB is not on the roster at this time. Doesn't this genius Foxworthy know recent NFL history? Drew Brees rested for 5 games last year and we still lost in the first round of the playoffs. So, it really doesn't matter.

I love Teddy, he is a solid NFL QB, doesn't turn the ball over much and good game manager. That said, Winston has a much higher ceiling, no guarantee that he will ever reach it but I believe with good coaching he may shock some folks....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom