Saints should trade Michael Thomas to the Dolphins for Devante a Parker and a pick. (1 Viewer)

ELLIASJWILLIAMS

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Just opinion but here are a few reasons

They both need a change of scenery.

Where there’s smoke there’s fire and things are not rosy between the Saints and Thomas. Meanwhile the Dolphins have never been able to give Parker consistent QB play. Ryan Fitzpatrick has arguably been the best QB he’s played with in his career.

Parker fits better with Regards to personality.

I’m not saying Thomas is a diva but his personality is more abrasive, even if workman like. Parker is a heads down kind of guy in the Colston mold.

Parker wins in ways that compliment Jamie’s current game.

He’s does everything Thomas does, maybe not at the level of Thomas but the trade off is he’s potentially better as a down field threat. Thomas, to me fit Brees for where he was in his career. He’s a short/intermediate threat. Jameis is an intermediate/deep thrower.

Thomas injury history.

This is same argument I made for Sheldon Rankins once he began getting leg injuries. What made up for his lack of height/size was his explosiveness. Start to lose that and his game takes a hit. Thomas is in similar situation. His explosiveness is what set him apart due to his…not so elite athletic profile. An ankle injury impacts that explosiveness.

Trade would never happen but I think it would be a productive one. Please feel free to debunk of support the theory. Its a long bye week. What’s a little fantasy going to hurt?

Enjoy your Sunday people!

Just opinion but here are a few reasons

They both need a change of scenery.

Where there’s smoke there’s fire and things are not rosy between the Saints and Thomas. Meanwhile the Dolphins have never been able to give Parker consistent QB play. Ryan Fitzpatrick has arguably been the best QB he’s played with in his career.

Parker fits better with Regards to personality.

I’m not saying Thomas is a diva but his personality is more abrasive, even if workman like. Parker is a heads down kind of guy in the Colston mold.

Parker wins in ways that compliment Jamie’s current game.

He’s does everything Thomas does, maybe not at the level of Thomas but the trade off is he’s potentially better as a down field threat. Thomas, to me fit Brees for where he was in his career. He’s a short/intermediate threat. Jameis is an intermediate/deep thrower.

Thomas injury history.

This is same argument I made for Sheldon Rankins once he began getting leg injuries. What made up for his lack of height/size was his explosiveness. Start to lose that and his game takes a hit. Thomas is in similar situation. His explosiveness is what set him apart due to his…not so elite athletic profile. An ankle injury impacts that explosiveness.

Trade would never happen but I think it would be a productive one. Please feel free to debunk of support the theory. Its a long bye week. What’s a little fantasy going to hurt?

Enjoy your Sunday people!
The cap hit for Thomas would gut the roster. We can be largely out of the cap hell on the 1st of June.

I'd say as long as we're not paying a QB franchise money it makes more sense to stick with Thomas. We have deep threats (Harris does get injured fairly often though) and it's hard to replace a guy like Thomas when it comes to moving the chains and in the red zone. Plus any QB that gets plugged in has an 80%+ catch rate receiver as a security blanket.

Are we expecting Jameis to command franchise money next year? It's possible, but it's also possible we could get him to sign an '06 Brees-like deal if he has a good but not great season.

There's also the question of if Thomas will be the same player when he returns or if this turns out to be a career changing injury. It's generally better to let a player go a year early than a year late but trading him now could be letting him go years early if he can return to form.

You make some good points, but a trade isn't happening this season. We're going get to see how Thomas looks in this offense post-injury.

No thanks. Honestly don't think this will age well once Thomas gets back on the field for us in the near future. He has a very minimal injury history prior to hurting his ankle, so I'm not concerned about injuries with him now that he has had his ankle surgically repaired. He's still right in his prime and can provide several more high quality seasons for us.

No thanks. Honestly don't think this will age well once Thomas gets back on the field for us in the near future. He has a very minimal injury history prior to hurting his ankle, so I'm not concerned about injuries with him now that he has had his ankle surgically repaired. He's still right in his prime and can provide several more high quality seasons for us.
This. ^^ 🤔

:gosaints:

I never thought you would something like that. Injury history? The guy is a warrior and a top 5 WR when healthy.

He's a warrior with Drew Brees throwing to him. We still don't know how he will react when Jameis doesn't throw him the ball with the same level of accuracy.

He's a warrior with Drew Brees throwing to him. We still don't know how he will react when Jameis doesn't throw him the ball with the same level of accuracy.
We won't know until he tries. Plus, some of that accuracy is due to the type of receiver he is (that is not a shot at Drew just nothing that Thomas basically catches everything close to him).

Maybe sometime later. Not now when we would face devastating salary cap issues and before we have any idea how well or badly Thomas and Winston can work together. That's assuming Thomas actually plays this season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom