Saints showing interest in Vaughn Martin (merged) (1 Viewer)

Scotlandsaint

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Chargers are hoping to retain Vaughn Martin, but plenty of competition. Eagles, Lions, Saints and Pats are also interested</p>&mdash; Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) <a href="https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/315042625038217216">March 22, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Vaughn Martin, DT for the San Diego Chargers at NFL.com

vaughn-martin-football-san-diego-chargers-nfl-thuzio-athlete-appearances.jpg

We sure could use another DT that can at least pressure. I was not impressed with Bunkley or Ellis, but who knows, maybe Ryan can get something more out of them ? Or maybe this guy is the solution.

If this guy is related to Vaughn Dunbar, then by all means he is worth a look.

Ok!! Technically "Meat" wasn't the last Vaughn, but I don't even count Dunbar and Chipper.
anygegyh.jpg

found this on a chargers forum, interesting read about the guy.

"Months ago I posted about how they should think about moving Martin back inside to NT. I added that was where he started as a rookie and where he was originally drafted to play. I took a lot of heat on this board because people "didn't remember it that way" and said he couldn't play at NT.

The reality is, he did play at NT as a very raw rookie. When he was drafted they understood he was a long term project. Their need at NT was immediate. They had brought in Garay to play DT/DE, but they began using him at NT with Martin behind him.

Martin was moved to DE to play and learn behind Castillo the following year. As a DE he needed to drop weight to gain speed and quickness.

Martin is really best suited as a 4-3 DT or he can play NT if he bulks back up. So they are playing him as the 3T DE/DT. He has a good first step but his ability to penetrate tails off quickly. He has gotten pretty good a shedding his blocks to make tackles on run plays or inside screens. But as a pass rusher he isn't going to give you quick pressure.

People need to temper his game against the Chiefs with the realization of who he played against. The Chief's were playing a make shift interior line. Luiget and Martin should have dominated. But in the other 3 games they had to rotate him out in favor of Reyes on passing downs if they wanted to get pass rush pressure.

There is no question that Reyes is the superior player between the two and no doubt in my mind he will be the undisputed starter at that 3T DT/DE position next year.

Martin is in his contract year. I have no doubt they will try to res-sign him, but that isn't a sure thing. As good as Franklin has played, they can't ignore his age. Martin does offer them the option of moving him back to play a 1T NT. He can put 20 lbs back on and he could play the position much like Garay did.

Pagano seems to rotate Thomas in on passing downs, perfering to use Franklin as a run stuffer. With teams like the Falcons playing more spread offenses early, it puts a lot of snaps on Thomas. With another NT who can play the position like Thomas Pagano doesn't need to worry about rotation.

Some people will likely be confused, because I said as a DT he didn't bring enough pass rush, but as a NT he's okay? The reason I say that is because a NT's role is different in this defense. His primary role is to push the pocket, and shed blocks on draws and middle screens. Martin has shown he can do that." gatomalo

http://forums.chargers.com/archive/index.php/t-95393.html

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom