Saints sign 6’8 Chargers OT Storm Norton to one year deal (OL depth) (1yr/$1.01M) (1 Viewer)

I don't understand this signing... a marginal player that probably has no market whatsoever, but signing him can mess with comp picks.

Great name.

STORM NORTON
T, NEW ORLEANS SAINTS
Storm Norton
Saints signed T Storm Norton, formerly of the Chargers, to a one-year contract.
Norton, one of the worst tackles in the league in 2020 and 2021, was not given much of a chance to damage the Chargers as Foster Sarell took snaps over him for most of 2022. He profiles as depth in New Orleans.

😂😂

I don't understand this signing... a marginal player that probably has no market whatsoever, but signing him can mess with comp picks.

Remember Brian de la Puente? 2011ish? Journeyman center that bounced around the league. He didn't have a market either. But the Saints signed him, and he became the starting center for a few years and made the pro bowl. That's why. Kicking the tires never hurts.

Remember Brian de la Puente? 2011ish? Journeyman center that bounced around the league. He didn't have a market either. But the Saints signed him, and he became the starting center for a few years and made the pro bowl. That's why. Kicking the tires never hurts.
Going to be something to come back to this thread after Storm Norton makes the 53 😁

Outside of Hurst, I don’t think any of our backup Tackles are locks enough to count out Norton.

Going to be something to come back to this thread after Storm Norton makes the 53 😁

Outside of Hurst, I don’t think any of our backup Tackles are locks enough to count out Norton.

There was a time you could trust that no matter what they did on the O-line, the Saints would still have a great O-line, and outside of LT they didn't need 1st round talent because they were good at developing guys. That hasn't been the case in recent years. I don't think that it's a coincidence that those years were when they had the best offense. Hopefully they can get back to that.

There was a time you could trust that no matter what they did on the O-line, the Saints would still have a great O-line, and outside of LT they didn't need 1st round talent because they were good at developing guys. That hasn't been the case in recent years. I don't think that it's a coincidence that those years were when they had the best offense. Hopefully they can get back to that.
💯 correct. To your last.

Doug Marrone makes a huge difference as O-line coach. He coached the O-line 06-08 and developed some guys that became pretty awesome including Jahri Evans.

Cool name. But I'm not hearing good things from Chargers fans. I mean... we need depth and competition at camp.

Players needs to be within the top 35% of all League players to be considered a compensatory free agent, I think it's like > 2.5-3M. This guy is probably a veteran minimum player so I wouldn't worry

The Saints like extra big G on their OL.
I have a feeling he will be moved inside.

My first thought was that Norton is too tall at 6'8" to succeed at guard. However, I do remember that former Raider tackle Robert Gallery (6'7") was moved to guard after washing out at left tackle. Gallery started the last five years of his career at guard.

Norton is also supposed to be a much better mauler in the run game than a pass blocker ... so maybe guard fits his strengths better.

My first thought was that Norton is too tall at 6'8" to succeed at guard. However, I do remember that former Raider tackle Robert Gallery (6'7") was moved to guard after washing out at left tackle. Gallery started the last five years of his career at guard.

Norton is also supposed to be a much better mauler in the run game than a pass blocker ... so maybe guard fits his strengths better.

Between Lewis Kidd and Norton, we have a couple behemoths to develop.

Andrus Peat’s also about the same height and weight (6’7, 316) as Norton, and moved to Guard after he was an OT in HS and college. Peat’s a better run blocker than in pass block as well at his size.

Guard could be a better fit for Norton, where he doesn’t have to line up against the opponent’s best DL most of the time like he does at Tackle, when facing team’s best pass rushers

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom