Saints sign Brunell... (1 Viewer)

Ha look at this link from 2006 Payton knows exactly what he's doing:
(Peter King)
The Awards Section

Offensive Players of the Week

Mark Brunell, QB, Washington. What? But, you say, he didn't even play in the Redskins' upset of the Saints. Correct. "He did an incredible job for us last week, and he deserves some credit for this win,'' assistant head coach/defense Gregg Williams said. "Even though he's left-handed, he played Drew Brees perfectly on our scout team all week, giving the defense a great look. He went to the spots on the field Brees would go to, and threw to the spots Brees would throw to.

Brees clone sounds good to me

Heh, then Drew better change his looks a little huh? Seriously we need to adopt the Colts philosophy a little more, of running multiple plays off the same look. This probably means that Palko eats up a roster spot this season on the active list.

P.s Thanks to the posters who replied back on why Brunell is better than Martin

I know a lot of you guys like this signing, but I just cant get on board with it. Last time Brunell played he was so terrible, he looked like my dad at 60 something years old, drunk, trying to throw to his grandkids in the backyard. This guy has nothing left physically. I have always been a big fan of his and enjoyed how he played. That was several years ago though. He does have plenty of experience and could be a good leader. I know a lot of people bash Jamie Martin, but at least he is very familiar with the system and has a little more tread left on the tires than Brunell. I just hope this doesnt leave Palko the odd man out. If anyone can make me feel better about this, please do so.

He won't be in the game long if he is called upon. I have no faith in Stinch as a blindside/quick tackle.

They have to be bringing in Brunell purely as a mentor/locker room/leadership role type. I can't really see him contributing much as a primary back up. Maybe Payton really sees something in Palko, and he feels Brunell can accelerate Palko's progression. Regardless, this team is doomed if Brees were to ever go down, no matter who the back-up was. I like Brunell though. Got to work with him at a charity event once, complete class act. I think he'll be very involved in the community.

The Packers are running out of options. Brunell, 38 this summer, didn't play a down as a third-stringer behind Jason Campbell and Todd Collins last year. He's lost a lot of arm strength and underwent surgery for a torn labrum last offseason. If Drew Brees goes down, he'll likely struggle to post good stats.

This quote from Rotoworld says he had surgery for a torn labrum. Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't that the same surgery that Brees had done the offseason before he signed with us.

either way, I like the signing. Good veteran backup.

Time to put my homer hat on. The Packers have Jerry Babb and Craig Nall on their roster. They're set. :hihi: Heck, that covers LSU, Northwestern St. and ULL. :9:

This is a bad signing by the Saints. They should get younger at that position and let Palko backup Brees. I would have snatched up Erick Ainge from Tenneessee at some point in the draft..

Brees, Palko, Ainge(I think Brunell will just be a camp body) I sure hope so.

This is a bad signing by the Saints. They should get younger at that position and let Palko backup Brees. I would have snatched up Erick Ainge from Tenneessee at some point in the draft..

Brees, Palko, Ainge(I think Brunell will just be a camp body) I sure hope so.

First of all Ainge is overrated garbage. Second, Brunell will serve as a mentor to Palko and a qb coach for Brees with the ability to come in and give us good backup play should anything happen to Brees. I feel much better about Brunell than Martin, Dilfer, Green, Joey H, Quinn Gray

Brees, Palko, Ainge(I think Brunell will just be a camp body) I sure hope so.[/QUOTE]

Well if we were rebuilding i would agree with you ,but we are makin a run and we need a vet incase Brees would miss some time. I still think we might snag a QB in the later rounds . JMTC.

Of all the choices the Saints actually mulled over (Brunell, Green, Carr), I like Brunell the best of them because he'll be the most help to Palko or any other young QB who might end up on the roster in the somewhat unlikely scenario that we draft one. He's the smartest one of the bunch and that's the most compelling issue to me. In my mind, we're more looking for a "player/coach than someone we seriously think is going to get in a game. However, I don't feel like the prospect of Brunell having to come into a game means "oh, it's over, this guy can't do anything", which is pretty much how I felt last season (though, fortunately, that fear was never realized since Drew didn't go down in a game).

Brees clone sounds good to me

When I read that quote on the Redskins message board I realized why Payton would want this guy. Looks like a good signing to me, although I'm not sure he's a "Brees clone".

I'm not sure what line of work most of you are in, but I have to make the point, when people offer up Palko as the #2 vs Brunell, that is absurd. In any job there are apprentices, rookies, talented yet green and inexperienced new comers. If we are planning for a championship run, and I think at this stage we should all be expecting that, whether it be during training camp, game preparation, fill ins or stand ins, having a previous Pro Bowl QB is ultimately more preferable and valuable than having a Tyler Palko to rely on during a keey stretch in the regular season or heaven forbid a playoff game. We cant be sure that Brett would drive over in an emergency, consequently Brunell will be perfect. I am sur that they had him throw the ball one of those beautiful afternoons that he visited. Dont you think they scrutinized his "noodle arm"? Or, do you think that they decided not to have him throw the ball and just give him a lottery amt. of money just because he's a nice guy? come on, Brunell will be perfect....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom