Saints sign DT Malcom Brown [MERGED] (2 Viewers)

The more I research this player, the more I really like this addition.

I would say right now that Brown is at least a lateral move from Tyler Davison. He’s a very solid run-stuffer and space-eater in the middle of the DL.

However, with his age and unrealized potential, Brown could give the Saints much much more than Davison. If Neilson can reach him and coach him up, Brown has the ability to be on the same level as a healthy Sheldon Rankins (w/ less pass-rush upside, but more run-stuff upside).

This was a very nice signing... buying low on a young player coming off a down season... but still so young and talented that a nice rebound is very likely.

The more I research this player, the more I really like this addition.

I would say right now that Brown is at least a lateral move from Tyler Davison. He’s a very solid run-stuffer and space-eater in the middle of the DL.

However, with his age and unrealized potential, Brown could give the Saints much much more than Davison. If Neilson can reach him and coach him up, Brown has the ability to be on the same level as a healthy Sheldon Rankins (w/ less pass-rush upside, but more run-stuff upside).

This was a very nice signing... buying low on a young player coming off a down season... but still so young and talented that a nice rebound is very likely.

His scouting report says he's not much of a pass rusher, but as a 3-4 Dlineman that's asked to eat blockers I think he may have some untapped pass rushing skills. I love his run-stuffing ability, and any pass rush that he could give would be lagniappe.

He's actually best as a run stuffer gap eater. The Patriots don't play people out of position.

Loose Cannon has intensely watched every game Brown has played at UT. And LC knows football extremely well. He was telling me yesterday that when Brown is motivated, he is a monster disruptive force.

MANSTER! Sorry Who Dats, I just can't help myself

This is the trifecta of poor team management. Like, if you wanted to create a playbook of how to fail as an NFL GM, this would be the example cited after the outline of what NOT to do. This is the biography of Matt Millen as the Detroit Lions GM.

1. There's a salary cap. You NEVER pay a player who is not a QB destined for the HOF whatever he wants. No other exceptions. None.

2. With the exception of aforementioned QBs and probowl caliber QBs, Left Tackles, CBs and pass rushers, no player on the team should be locked into the roster and considered irreplaceable. All positions are upgradeable and should be potentially marked for upgrade or replacement if they do not meet the qualification above and it's not feasible under the constraints of the salary cap.

3. Never. NEVER. NEVER! Never earmark your highest draft pick for a specific position of "need". This is like going to a used car lot and saying, "I'm going to buy the car closest to showroom floor!" before you've seen the cars on the lot. The draft is not a vending machine. Just because the price is higher it doesn't mean you're going to get the best thing in the machine. Draft picks should be based on the quality of the players available and not the value of the pick. That's how you waste picks. The best O lineman available at the end of the 2nd round may very well be a project only worth a 5t rounder. You wont know until you get to the spot.

4. Be flexible. Never be concrete about players or even the top 3 rules (exceptions and complicated situations always come along). Setting your sights on getting this guy or that guy will end in heartache. That guy may want to play near home or like the Chinese Restaurants in that city. Who knows!?! But you have to be ready to adapt. If a player tells you a number that's not going to work, move on! Be ready to move to the next guy because the best teams will be moving too. Dont waste time trying to please a guy (see rule #1) because...you should already know it will not work under your cap. Plus, guy could just be using you as leverage. Move on! Dont be leverage against another team, don't go over what you're willing to pay and don't waste time in a negotiation that may ultimately fall through while other teams are moving.
Well said sir

This additions puts 4 1st rounders on the defensive line when Rankins comes back from injury. The new addition of Mario Edwards adds a former 2nd rounder (35 overall) and 5 star prospect who also has untapped talent and can develop even more.

NTs get so much better with age. They get that Old Man Strength. This will be our 'Robertson" signing of the offseason.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom