Saints sign DT Malcom Brown [MERGED] (3 Viewers)

Yea great signing! He is coming in to directly replace Davison and that is a big upgrade imo. Davison was good but he offered no pass rush while Brown can actually be a presence in the middle. He will fit well next to Onyemata until Rankins gets back giving is a very good rotation.
If we can also add Ansah then this DLine is going to be insane with great depth.

He will be better in a 1 tech role in a 4/3 then a nose in a 3/4. He not as strong in his lower body as he is his upper body. So double teams work on him just as much as he holds his own against them. He got some penatrating ability he will be able to use that skill set more with us

I agree. I think he is already a good player and it never hurts to have a guy that can hold up against the run, take on double teams, and push the pocket a bit. It seems the only criticism of him is that he doesn't consistently penetrate and that may be a technique issue that Nielson can work on with him. Detillier seemed to suggest that coming out of college he had great quickness and physical tool he may just need to work a little on his technique with his hands. In the end, I'm good with Brown starting at the 1 Tech with Stallworth backing him up. But, I'd also be fine in Davison wanted to sign for a reasonable price to rotate in with Brown.

Don't like him. Couldn't break starting lineup for the patsys. My personal opinion is that this is an uncharacteristicly bad move. Would have absolutely kept Davison

��
YearAgeTmpiece of workNo.GGSIntYdsTDLngPDFFFmbFRYdsTDSkCombSoloAstTFLQBHitsSftyAV

Games
Def InterceptionsFumblesTackles
201521NWEDT901612002003.0483117657
201622NWEdl/DT901613100003.05024264518
201723NWEde/DT9013122.5492920457
201824NWEde/DT/ldt/rdt90151400100391920018
Career6051

See that "GS"? That stands for games started.

There was alot of hype when he was coming out of Texas into the draft. I know I really liked him as a prospect and have been surprised how he has not lived up to the billing in New England. Hopefully a change of scenery will help him reach his potential. I'm very intrigued to see what Ryan Nielsen can do with this guy.

And by reach his potential I mean as a well-rounded DT that can generate some passrush as well as keep stuffing the run at a high level.

Last edited:
Sounds okay and fills a need. Pat's fans weren't overly impressed by the guy. Average came up a lot. They think 5mil per was an overpay. Probably was considering that is top 25 DT pay. It's not horrible though, overpaying a bit in FA is expected.

Except for the fact he came from Lamehorn U, I FINALLY GET MY MANSTER DT!!! Demario Davis will like this signing.

(Just kidding Longhorn fans. I am actually starting to like the Horns under the new headcoach!)
I was waiting for a Swimmer "manster" post. :)

"Adds a big piece".. Yeah, he's like 320 lbs. haha.

That was out of college. I saw him this year and he's every bit 340 if not 350. He does not get a lot of sacks, but he does push the pocket back often disrupting clean pockets for QBs to step into.

MANSTER! MANSTER! MANSTER!!!!

Edit: Hey Ward - I think he's been eating a lot of clam chowder since he left UT - lol

Last edited:
Pro Football Focus graded him out as the 85th best interior linemen this year.....85th!!!!!!! Cheer all you want. I don't like him.
His three-year PFF grade is 75, which makes him a good, not great, NT. That's what we paid for. Still a little upside too since our scheme fits him a little better and our position coach is one of the best teachers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom