Saints sign DT Malcom Brown [MERGED] (1 Viewer)

Saints have a history of signing underperforming highly drafted guys, and then getting them to play as well as they ever did, or better. I don’t think that Brown was an underperformer, but either way.

See AO, Demario Davis, Eli Apple, to name a few recent acquisitions.
Great points, but Demario was absolutely not underperforming before he came here. He was a force in NY on a dreadful team.

Great points, but Demario was absolutely not underperforming before he came here. He was a force in NY on a dreadful team.

Actually sentiment in the organization and the fans was that he was. Nearly every article written last year when we signed him mentioned that.

Cam shouldn’t be moved inside unless emergency or a specific scheme he is one of the best Ends in the league. I know a lot of people were talking about it but it seems counter intuitive to me

Yea moving Cam to DT in the prime of his career is just ridiculous. Having Cam slide inside to put another stud rusher on the edge in certain schemes/packages the absolutely! This is something we will very likely see often if we bring in someone like Ziggy.

Maybe later in Jordans career I could see him playing more 3tech and at a high level extending his career. He would be able to play at a more natural weight as a 290 lb explosive force. Could definitely see him sliding inside in the future like many other DLineman half his talent have transitioned to playing much better.

Listening to Brown's former teammate Rob Ninkovich yesterday on WWL with Strief and Hebert...his take is that Brown has been playing out of position to an extent at NT in NE's 3-4. He feels his excellent footwork and hand usage, and under-appreciated ability to penetrate actually make him more suited as a 4-3 3 tech DT, and expects him to be a more impactful player in the Saints defense than he was with the Patriots, where he was sort of shoehorned into the 2-gap runstuffer role even though it didn't play to his particular strengths. Which would explain both NE's decision to move on from him and the Saints' (a team with a pretty good relationship with the Patriots staff) decision to bring him in.

Also, with this interview in mind, I don't think this necessarily spells the end of Tyeler Davison.

Listening to Brown's former teammate Rob Ninkovich yesterday on WWL with Strief and Hebert...his take is that Brown has been playing out of position to an extent at NT in NE's 3-4. He feels his excellent footwork and hand usage, and under-appreciated ability to penetrate actually make him more suited as a 4-3 3 tech DT, and expects him to be a more impactful player in the Saints defense than he was with the Patriots, where he was sort of shoehorned into the 2-gap runstuffer role even though it didn't play to his particular strengths. Which would explain both NE's decision to move on from him and the Saints' (a team with a pretty good relationship with the Patriots staff) decision to bring him in.

Also, with this interview in mind, I don't think this necessarily spells the end of Tyeler Davison.

He's actually best as a run stuffer gap eater. The Patriots don't play people out of position.

Actually sentiment in the organization and the fans was that he was. Nearly every article written last year when we signed him mentioned that.
Actually, everything I remember reading on Davis was more along the lines of "hope they didn't overpay for a guy coming off his career year", which to that point the 2017 season with the Jets definitely was.

He's actually best as a run stuffer gap eater. The Patriots don't play people out of position.
LOL. Sure. Not like the guy couldn't be competently filling a needed role for the team and ALSO have the skills that would make him an even better fit in a role that the team doesn't even regularly employ. The point Ninkovich (who again, PLAYED on the defense we're talking about alongside Brown for two seasons) was making, I think, was that while Brown was playing the runstuffer role in NE, he (Ninkovich) saw characteristics and abilities in Brown that made him feel his best position was as a more of a one-gap penetrating DT. Again, a position NE didn't use Brown at because THEY DON'T REALLY USE THE POSITION.

But what does Ninkovich know...he was only playing on the same unit as Brown for a couple of seasons. You're probably right.

Actually, everything I remember reading on Davis was more along the lines of "hope they didn't overpay for a guy coming off his career year", which to that point the 2017 season with the Jets definitely was.

That’s exactly it. He has 1 good year and was just starting to not be a disappointment.

Give Jared cooks whatever he wants
Give golden Tate whatever he wants
Draft the best O lineman available at our highest spot
Don’t let okafor leave

Done deal

This is the trifecta of poor team management. Like, if you wanted to create a playbook of how to fail as an NFL GM, this would be the example cited after the outline of what NOT to do. This is the biography of Matt Millen as the Detroit Lions GM.

1. There's a salary cap. You NEVER pay a player who is not a QB destined for the HOF whatever he wants. No other exceptions. None.

2. With the exception of aforementioned QBs and probowl caliber QBs, Left Tackles, CBs and pass rushers, no player on the team should be locked into the roster and considered irreplaceable. All positions are upgradeable and should be potentially marked for upgrade or replacement if they do not meet the qualification above and it's not feasible under the constraints of the salary cap.

3. Never. NEVER. NEVER! Never earmark your highest draft pick for a specific position of "need". This is like going to a used car lot and saying, "I'm going to buy the car closest to showroom floor!" before you've seen the cars on the lot. The draft is not a vending machine. Just because the price is higher it doesn't mean you're going to get the best thing in the machine. Draft picks should be based on the quality of the players available and not the value of the pick. That's how you waste picks. The best O lineman available at the end of the 2nd round may very well be a project only worth a 5t rounder. You wont know until you get to the spot.

4. Be flexible. Never be concrete about players or even the top 3 rules (exceptions and complicated situations always come along). Setting your sights on getting this guy or that guy will end in heartache. That guy may want to play near home or like the Chinese Restaurants in that city. Who knows!?! But you have to be ready to adapt. If a player tells you a number that's not going to work, move on! Be ready to move to the next guy because the best teams will be moving too. Dont waste time trying to please a guy (see rule #1) because...you should already know it will not work under your cap. Plus, guy could just be using you as leverage. Move on! Dont be leverage against another team, don't go over what you're willing to pay and don't waste time in a negotiation that may ultimately fall through while other teams are moving.

I don’t think he’s far from being a Nick Fairley player. He’s got the talent to dominate at times. His age and wisdom might set him up for another payday. Allow him to get comfortable with Cam and Marcus early in the season. Then hopefully the successful returns of Onyemata and Rankins.

This is a really good signing. The defense got better with this addition. Didn't some on here want us to draft his guy when he was coming out of college?

Yep. Definitely got better and he was high on the list of wanted players.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom